The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

so do most medics go for JF?
people on this forum say that JF has no character, is too quiet etc... how much of thats true?
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 21
stardustfairy
so do most medics go for JF?
people on this forum say that JF has no character, is too quiet etc... how much of thats true?

I'm a medic (grades permitting); I chose GMS :smile:

I chose GMS over JF because I heard it's less social and more expensive.
Reply 22
My first choice is JF, and now I'm slightly concerned as a few people have said that it's not very social...:dunno:
notepad
I'm a medic (grades permitting); I chose GMS :smile:

I chose GMS over JF because I heard it's less social and more expensive.

oo okay, thankyou :smile:
finally chose today. i've put:
beaumont
GM
JF
in that order.. all catered. hopefully i'll get one :biggrin:
Reply 24
CreaturFear
Hey everyone,

I've got a conditional AAB offer for medicine at Leicester and I've just applied for my accommodation. I picked self-catered premium en-suite at John Foster halls.

I was just wondering whether the majority of medics have gone catered or self-catered??

thanks.:smile:

I'm at Leicester ATM and catered, best decision ever - reasons:
1) Dinner is so much more sociable, generally there will be a group of you from all different flats sitting around the dinner table - trust me its where the banter is. Helps you make friends in freshers week too
2) You get a shorter contract if your catered which means your not paying for your accommodation in the xmas and easter holidays when your not living there that saves your 10 weeks of accom payments which is about £600 (yes, your paying for the food but not much more expensive than cooking for yourself)
3) Food is decent. Ok its no michelin starred restaruant but theres always a good selection if your a fussy eater you will get the choice of 3) hot main meals (one veggy) and plates of cold meals then choice of vegtables and choice of 2 deserts.
4) Breakfast and brunch are the best hangover cure ever (when ur cba to cook after a heavy night)
5) Breakfast is served between 7-10am Dinner 5-7pm and Brunch (saturday sunday) is 12pm-1pm - all perfect timing
Reply 25
pete1111
I'm at Leicester ATM and catered, best decision ever - reasons:
1) Dinner is so much more sociable, generally there will be a group of you from all different flats sitting around the dinner table - trust me its where the banter is. Helps you make friends in freshers week too
2) You get a shorter contract if your catered which means your not paying for your accommodation in the xmas and easter holidays when your not living there that saves your 10 weeks of accom payments which is about £600 (yes, your paying for the food but not much more expensive than cooking for yourself)
3) Food is decent. Ok its no michelin starred restaruant but theres always a good selection if your a fussy eater you will get the choice of 3) hot main meals (one veggy) and plates of cold meals then choice of vegtables and choice of 2 deserts.
4) Breakfast and brunch are the best hangover cure ever (when ur cba to cook after a heavy night)
5) Breakfast is served between 7-10am Dinner 5-7pm and Brunch (saturday sunday) is 12pm-1pm - all perfect timing

are you a medic?
Reply 26
CreaturFear
are you a medic?

No i'm a lawyer but I live in a flat with 3 medics including your social sec
Reply 27
pete1111
No i'm a lawyer but I live in a flat with 3 medics including your social sec

cool. I'm just hoping that being in self catered won't be detrimental to me making friends.
CreaturFear
cool. I'm just hoping that being in self catered won't be detrimental to me making friends.

Seriously, there will be a zillion other opportunities to make friends. Introweek being the main one, and then the flats in JoFo tend to be pretty friendly. In fact, two of my housemates next year are in JoFo and probably know their block as well as I know my Beaumont one. Just be super friendly to everyone you meet and you'll be fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending