The Student Room Group

D&D Theology's "Ask About Hinduism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
CHAMON
Gora Sikha Ho! Hum Hindu Hai! - What does that mean?

It means I should be proud to be a Hindu from the teachings I have got about Hinduism, something on the lines off that!
Reply 81
Amit92
It means I should be proud to be a Hindu from the teachings I have got about Hinduism, something on the lines off that!

Why post that in the sikh thread then? you're a hindu, fair dinkum. Sikhs are not. accept it!
Reply 82
CHAMON
Why post that in the sikh thread then? you're a hindu, fair dinkum. Sikhs are not. accept it!

Well my Sikh friends class theseleves has Hindus :s-smilie:. because they follow the same Dharma as Hindus which is the Sanātana Dharma. So its more like Sikhism is a branch off Hinduism in a way!

Also Sikhs were the protectors off Hindus when India was under attack! In Punjab each family would have 3 sons, One that became Sikh, who went out and fought for the Sanātana Dharma, one a Hindu, who learnt the scriptures and kept the Hindu faith alive! and one who would farm to keep the Sikh son who went out and fought fit and strong when they came back after war!

Also the Sikh Gurus were Hindu or Muslim before they went off and became a Guru and followed Sikhism!

What religion are you anyway? You don't like the RSS/HSS do you LOL?
Reply 83
how many gods are their to pray to?
Reply 84
xSplashx
Being a hindu you'd think I'd have found this out already but I havent. I know on special festivals people fast but I recently found out you can fast weekly as well.

So what days do people fast for what gods?

What is the actual reason for fasting?

One fasts to control one's own self.

Unlike most religions, however, fasting in Hinduism is not some kind of blanket denial of food and drink. Most often fasting involved eating a small quanity food, and eliminating rich foods..... actually it really resembles the old Lenten fasts of Europe.
Reply 85
CHAMON
You'll find hindus themselves disagree with what you've just said.

BTW - No idea who naik is.

Dayananda never said the Vedas forbade iconolatry.... however, he believed such practices detracted from his Vedic school of Worship.
Reply 86
prospectivEEconomist
All the gods are incarnations of Lord Krishna, right?

Nope.......

Only the Hare Krishnas believe that, and most mainstream Hindus consider them a heresy, but a mild one at that.
So, who are all the gods incarnations of?
Reply 88
BSJ

As many as you wish to.

If you want to think of God as just like your mum, thats fine. If you want to think of God as strong and wielding thunderbolts, thats fine. If you want to think of God as a cute pet or animal, thats fine.
Reply 89
prospectivEEconomist
So, who are all the gods incarnations of?

I personally reject the idea of incarnations as post vedic. The puranas are allegorical at best for me, and twisted innovations full of crueltly and wickedness at their very worst.
Reply 90
SolInvictus
As many as you wish to.

If you want to think of God as just like your mum, thats fine. If you want to think of God as strong and wielding thunderbolts, thats fine. If you want to think of God as a cute pet or animal, thats fine.

ye but it has to be practical, roughly how many of the gods you give you blessings to/ follow?
Reply 91
How different do you think British Hinduism is to Indian Hinduism? Do you think western values enhance/ stunt/ otherwise affect the lifestyle? I fins all this fascinating and am planning to write my dissertation in 2 years on the Trinity in non-Christian faiths. :-)
Most British hindus are gujurati so they will have different traditionals and values to hindus from 'mainland' India. (Yes I know gujurat is in mainland India, but I sort of mean the middle/north part of India where hindi is spoken)
Reply 93
BSJ
ye but it has to be practical, roughly how many of the gods you give you blessings to/ follow?

I stick to Vedic worship, in which the many aspects of God are largely worshipped as one group/being/corporation, so for me its one.
Reply 94
JamesCB
How different do you think British Hinduism is to Indian Hinduism? Do you think western values enhance/ stunt/ otherwise affect the lifestyle? I fins all this fascinating and am planning to write my dissertation in 2 years on the Trinity in non-Christian faiths. :-)

Surprisingly, when it comes down to it there is really no difference. Everyone has this idea of stiff teetotaling Indians who don't drink, eat meat, go to the temple every morning and generally come straight out of the old folk sketches of goodness gracious me. The truth is that most Indians are as diverse in their lifestyles and observance as British Hindus.
Reply 95
BSJ

There is only one God ultimately but how you want to worship It is up to you. Each approach is potentially a new deity.
Reply 96
could u classify hinduism more of a encyclopedia of religions ? than actually a religion/ as it preety much accepts anything n everything as theirs?
Reply 97
Mr Murder
could u classify hinduism more of a encyclopedia of religions ? than actually a religion/ as it preety much accepts anything n everything as theirs?

Hinduism, in my view, covers several religions. Like the term Paganism, it merely refers to multiple cults, religions, and philosophies.
Reply 98
How and why did Ravana attain moksha, I don't fully understand that.
Reply 99
QED
How and why did Ravana attain moksha, I don't fully understand that.

I don't know..... I really had no idea that Ravana got Moksha..... I thought he was just destroyed......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending