The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think I'll leave contacting Nottingham until tomorrow, I think I need to discover whether I have a psychology grade or not.

The online form looks promising (Notts have one), so I'll try tomorrow if something else can be sorted (once again, can't do it now - no psych grade)

Congrats with the Kent offer! :smile:
Reply 21
Jenna_04
I think I'll leave contacting Nottingham until tomorrow, I think I need to discover whether I have a psychology grade or not.

The online form looks promising (Notts have one), so I'll try tomorrow if something else can be sorted (once again, can't do it now - no psych grade)

Congrats with the Kent offer! :smile:

just persist with trying to explain, maybe try to get through directly to the department you applied to? and what the hell is your examinatioons officer doing by not being available today? same for AQA...

lou xxx
Reply 22
"just persist with trying to explain, maybe try to get through directly to the department you applied to? and what the hell is your examinatioons officer doing by not being available today? same for AQA..."

That's a possibility for tomorrow :smile:

I have no idea about my examinations officer. Our school isn't particularly organised. I also did want to stick around in school to see if any other teachers could help, but lots of students I spoke failed to achieve their grades, most were reject by both firms/insurances and to be honest, and I decided it would be better to leave the available staff to try and help them.
Reply 23
Jenna_04
"just persist with trying to explain, maybe try to get through directly to the department you applied to? and what the hell is your examinatioons officer doing by not being available today? same for AQA..."

That's a possibility for tomorrow :smile:

I have no idea about my examinations officer. Our school isn't particularly organised. I also did want to stick around in school to see if any other teachers could help, but lots of students I spoke failed to achieve their grades, most were reject by both firms/insurances and to be honest, and I decided it would be better to leave the available staff to try and help them.

hey Jenna hows it going? you managed to sort anything out yet? good luck with it and i hope u get what u want!!
Reply 24
Hey, demexi, thanks for asking :smile:

Well, I've 4 hours trying to find out (well, my head of sixth (HOS) has... I've been on the phone to unis), appears there were problems between AQA and the college where the coursework was marked at (that screwed up basically). But I do have a score for my coursework now (although my grades still an X until AQA get themselves together :smile: ). I have a high C overall :smile:

My HOS (bless him, he works hard for us students) phoned up Nottingham (before we found out the c/w mark), and they said that they rejected me because of my C in chemistry (not the X) ... however, when my HOS said "well, what if the X was an A?" ... they said they would accept me O_o (make your mind up Notts!)

It was utter hell trying to be released from my insurance. The woman seemed intent on making me cry (yet others trying were automatically released). Once again, super HOS to the rescue, and all the infos been given to her, hopefully I'll be released soon.

At the moment: Department heads at Nottingham are deciding whether to let me on another course (first time I phone, I was told 'yes you fit the criteria- but they couldn't reserve a place - until I'd talked to trent about being released') ..... now, the department heads have decided they want someone with a B in chemistry (and are still unsure over my X - and are thinking it over. They said they would phone back shortly at home, where I am now (but everytime I've been told that by anyone today, they never did...)

If not, there's two other courses at the uni I'm interested in, and at a push, a few others.

Gotta say thanks for everyone who's taken the time to respond on this thread :smile:

Wish me luck for clearing!
Reply 25
Yay! I Have A Place At Nottingham! Woot!
Reply 26
well done:smile: Just shows if you get the right advice and keep a cool head problems can be sorted:smile: Hope u have a wicked time:smile:
Reply 27
PQ, even if you had have been online, I understand how busy it was (and how helpful even a single post from you is!) so I understood.

That must have been aweful to have your net access cut! *eek* (Maybe you should take revenge by drilling through their phone lines...? )

Chriswhit - Indeed! I had a good chat with the chemistry department heads and I'm thinking of maybe going to the clearing day tomorrow. All I have to do now is hope:

1. My insurance do release me
2. I get the clearing forms ( ? - I assume that when my insurance releases me I get them)
3. I get proof that I have a C in psych.
Reply 28
Exam boards are useless. A friend of mine got AAC but she needed AAA to get in to her first choice. Somehow, quite ironically really, the exam board added up her UMS module scores for maths incorrectly. She rang them and they said they were too busy to sort it out yesterday. She also rang the university, which told her that her place had been given away! All of this because they can't add up.
Reply 29
Wow ryan342, how unfortunate! I really hope that's sorted out for her soon :frown:

*will be checking her UMS totals shortly...just incase*
Reply 30
Just noticed....

The results slip I was sent through the post with my coursework mark on has my surname spelt incorrectly... could this cause me more problems?
Reply 31
Jenna_04
Just noticed....

The results slip I was sent through the post with my coursework mark on has my surname spelt incorrectly... could this cause me more problems?

is your candidate number correct? maybe the mispelt name was the reason for the original confusion? again tell your examinations officer...

glad to see that things finally seem to be sorting themselves out, let us know what happens!

lou xxx
Reply 32
My candidate number is different for the college than it is to the school, I believ it's correct for the college.

However, I doubt the problem was due to the misspelling. Five people out of a group of 12 did recieve an X grade - I doubt they made spelling mistakes on them all (although... it wouldn't surpise me if that's what had happened.)
Reply 33
Jenna_04
Yay! I Have A Place At Nottingham! Woot!

O welldone!! thanks for filling me in.. sorry ive been away from TSR for the weekend but im happy u got ur place.. u deserved it xxxx!! good luck
Reply 34
"O welldone!! thanks for filling me in.. sorry ive been away from TSR for the weekend but im happy u got ur place.. u deserved it xxxx!! good luck"

Aww, thank you! That's really sweet of you to say :smile:

On my ucas track, my insurance has changed to "Unconditional offer - Decline" - so I guess this means I'll be recieving a CEF form shortly?
Reply 35
Yeah, you should recieve the form soon but you keep at their backs as well so they dont slack again.. call them to confirm everything has been sorted
Reply 36
I'm going to call UCAS in a short while and find out about my CEF form - I've also read that the grades on the form are already printed - so I'm going to see if they have a 'C' or 'X' grade.

Althouh this is probably highly pesimistic thinking on my part, I'm worried that Nottingham are going to give my place away unless I get this all sorted soon...
Reply 37
Jenna_04
I'm going to call UCAS in a short while and find out about my CEF form - I've also read that the grades on the form are already printed - so I'm going to see if they have a 'C' or 'X' grade.

Althouh this is probably highly pesimistic thinking on my part, I'm worried that Nottingham are going to give my place away unless I get this all sorted soon...

if you get the grades they asked for by the 31st thye have to give you a place

lou xxx
Reply 38
"if you get the grades they asked for by the 31st thye have to give you a place"

I've read about that for first/insurance choice unis, although, I'm worried about the clearing place... I hear they can still reject my application even though I have the grades they're asing for, and they've offered me the place... does the same thing apply?
Reply 39
"However if you're worried about them holding your clearing place you could always give them a ring and ask if they'd be willing to send you the offer in writing - if you've got that then they can't back out:smile:"

I guess so!

However, I'm hoping to have it sorted very shortly (bu the end of the week)- I'm going to ring UCAS this afternoon and ask what grades my CEF form has on it (well, see if the X has been changed to a C) and ask how long it'll be until I recieve it.

Then I'll fill it in ASAP and send it (might even go to the uni and deliver it by hand).

The only thing I'm worried about now if that if I still have an 'X' grade, or if the CEF form takes awhile to be sent.

The course is still in clearing so I guess I shouldn't worry about the place being given away.

Latest

Trending

Trending