The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Arch and AncHist at Durham

Hey everyone! So I've been offered a place at Durham to study Archaeology and Ancient History, but I don't know whether to accept it or not. I went to the open day a couple of weeks ago and really loved the city and my college (Milderts) but found my actual departments less than inspiring (especially Archaeology). I was hoping that some of you could convince me that it would infact be alot of fun studying Archaeology and Ancient History and that I should make Durham my firm. Thanks for your help!
Reply 1
The archaeology department is amazing, but it's not great for Roman stuff. Apparently it used to be good, but then most of the lecturers left. I've also heard complaints from people who say that the Classics department don't care about you, 'cause you're not straight classics student.

However, the arch & ancient history people I know who do it do seem to love it, and if you think Durham is the right place to be, then you should definitely think about it. Have you looked through the module options? Read module descriptions and see what you think about what is likely to be on offer (though bear in mind that the third year module almost certainly will change, and they've not had much choice this year due to classics lecturers being on research leave and suchlike). Also, I did Monument & Memory in the age of Augustus, and Living in the Classical World in my first year, and enjoyed both. :yy:

If you don't make Durham your firm, you'd need to think about whether you'd enjoy being elsewhere as much, and what that course is like.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
LRS
OP
Aula
The archaeology department is amazing, but it's not great for Roman stuff. Apparently it used to be good, but then most of the lecturers left.
Have you looked through the module options? Read module descriptions and see what you think about what is likely to be on offer (though bear in mind that the third year module almost certainly will change, and they've not had much choice this year due to classics lecturers being on research leave and suchlike).

Thanks for the feedback!
How is the archaeology department for the greek stuff?
I looked through the module options, and there were some that i liked, but i noticed that it said that some of the modules werent available on some years (on one of the lists there were only 3/7 running, and on another only 2/8). How am i able to have the high levels of freedom of choice that they advertised to me if they cut the number of optional modules, or are you able to take modules from other years/subjects? (this is one of the main points that makes worry about this course at durham)
Thanks again!
Reply 3
You can take modules from other years/departments, but it tends to be fairly restricted for joint honours, the course description should tell you what you can do. As I said, lecturers being on research leave does restrict what modules can be offered, which can be a problem.

Umm... the archaeology hardly does anything on the greek side, I can't actually think of any modules, but then again, I'm not that interested in greek stuff, so it's possible I've just missed it. I believe the classics department is fairly good for the greek side though.

Latest