Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Amitriptyline and Alcohol

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    TSR, please hit me with your experiences and advice =]

I know the info sheet that comes with amitriptyline says to avoid alcohol. Some Googling suggests that it's best to avoid alcohol for a few weeks after starting taking it, and that drinking while I'm on amitriptyline could make me sleepy and uncoordinated.
    This concerns me slightly because I have a tendency to get quite sleepy after relatively few drinks anyway.
    I'm currently taking 10mg/day. It's not for depression, 'tis for other fun stuffs. If it's relevant, I can estimate my height/weight for you.

Thankye
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh i take that, not for depression just for my migraines. Not that there would be anything wrong if it was for depression anyway
    I take 20mg though and tbh it makes me reaaaaaally tired and my emotions are really sensitive.
    I wouldnt worry about it if you drink while on it though because ive been extremelyintoxicated a few times while on it but its not a regulare occurence so it hasnt really affected me
    i'm not sure what you're asking from this thread but there yougo(:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenl93)
    Oh i take that, not for depression just for my migraines. Not that there would be anything wrong if it was for depression anyway
    I take 20mg though and tbh it makes me reaaaaaally tired and my emotions are really sensitive.
    I wouldnt worry about it if you drink while on it though because ive been extremelyintoxicated a few times while on it but its not a regulare occurence so it hasnt really affected me
    i'm not sure what you're asking from this thread but there yougo(:
    That's exactly the kind of thing I was wanting to hear, thank you
    I'm mostly just cautious about the situation in case it's the kind of thing that's likely to end badly... *waits to see what other people have to say*
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I took it for pain relief, 10mg every other day. It knocked me out anyway, but when I had a drink I'd be asleep in my chair. That was on the days where I was taking it. On the alternate days I would just get really sleepy, but not actually just fall alseep.

I hated amitriptyline though...
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    TSR, please hit me with your experiences and advice =]

I know the info sheet that comes with amitriptyline says to avoid alcohol. Some Googling suggests that it's best to avoid alcohol for a few weeks after starting taking it, and that drinking while I'm on amitriptyline could make me sleepy and uncoordinated.
    This concerns me slightly because I have a tendency to get quite sleepy after relatively few drinks anyway.
    I'm currently taking 10mg/day. It's not for depression, 'tis for other fun stuffs. If it's relevant, I can estimate my height/weight for you.

Thankye
    Ami is a tricyclic antidepressant, of which the side effects can make you drowsy and sleepy naturally, which can be exacerbated by alcohol which is a CNS depressant. Also, it is metabolised by the P450 enzyme system in the liver so if you are a serious boozer, the effectiveness may fall of the amitrip.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Ami is a tricyclic antidepressant, of which the side effects can make you drowsy and sleepy naturally, which can be exacerbated by alcohol which is a CNS depressant. Also, it is metabolised by the P450 enzyme system in the liver so if you are a serious boozer, the effectiveness may fall of the amitrip.
    :eek3: I am slightly intimidated by the amount of intense-sounding science in such a small space But seriously, that was useful to hear, thank you. I don't drink very much normally, so I think I'll reintroduce alcohol very carefully and slowly, and I'll post how things go after a while.

Thank you for all the replies so far. I'm still interested to hear anyone else's experiences/advice =]
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    :eek3: I am slightly intimidated by the amount of intense-sounding science in such a small space But seriously, that was useful to hear, thank you. I don't drink very much normally, so I think I'll reintroduce alcohol very carefully and slowly, and I'll post how things go after a while.

Thank you for all the replies so far. I'm still interested to hear anyone else's experiences/advice =]
    Probably sensible

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2010
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.