The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Trouser Snake
Wrong. He became a movie star because he was a fighter first, the only reason an asian man cracked the western film world.

Also he participated and showed his skills against opponents in many tournaments, the 1967 Long Beach Karate tournament being one. In which after showing up various martial artists he showed the world his one inch punch.

Wow, dude dont comment in my presence man, I'll make you look like a tool. Though thats not much of an achievement. Lee DEMONSTRATED there, performing various techniques such as the famous "unstoppable punch" against USKA world karate champion Vic Moore. He did not compete nor did he win any US based competitions as far as I am aware. His supposed "defeat" of 3 time British champion Elms is cited from the ******* IMDB! I mean...seriously??? If anyone has browsed Lee's "fight history" they will now its one of the most comedic pieces you'll find on Wikipedia.

This always entertains:

Wikipedia
The following year, Lee became a member of the "Tigers of Junction Street," and was involved in numerous gang-related street fights. "In one of his last encounters, while removing his jacket the fellow he was squaring off against sucker punched him and blackened his eye. Bruce flew into a rage and went after him, knocking him out, breaking his opponent's arm. The police were called as a result."[36] The incident took place on a Hong Kong rooftop at 10 P.M. on Wednesday, April 29, 1959.

I mean, wow, you people are stupid.
Reply 61
Rucklo
Lol yes, surprisingly enough they are mostly all his students.

Now give me some quotes from people he fought or some video.

Do you know Brock has wings and can take down skyscrapers?

Some guy said so! lmao

Watch curse of the dragon.

Most of his students became his students after seeing his abilities. There is video footage of the one-inch punch and other feats of strength and power - sure they're not proof of fighting abilities, but for a guy who weighed 140lbs on a good day to do certain acts that he did is incredible.

Bruce Lee had to fight to be allowed to teach in America. He was challenged at a lecture he gave, at martial arts conferences he would select the biggest guys in the audience and ask them to try to hit him as part of his demonstration. There is a lot of video footage of his speed, reflexes and strength, along with testimonials from various champions like Mike Stone and Chuck Norris.

You can claim Bruce wasn't all that because there isn't footage of competition, but there's still a ton of information from various people about what he could do.
Reply 62
richwhite
Watch curse of the dragon.

Most of his students became his students after seeing his abilities. There is video footage of the one-inch punch and other feats of strength and power - sure they're not proof of fighting abilities, but for a guy who weighed 140lbs on a good day to do certain acts that he did is incredible.

Bruce Lee had to fight to be allowed to teach in America. He was challenged at a lecture he gave, at martial arts conferences he would select the biggest guys in the audience and ask them to try to hit him as part of his demonstration. There is a lot of video footage of his speed, reflexes and strength, along with testimonials from various champions like Mike Stone and Chuck Norris.

You can claim Bruce wasn't all that because there isn't footage of competition, but there's still a ton of information from various people about what he could do.

Watch a film?

No thanks.. show me a video of him competing.

If I can get one of Lesnar's students to say he can knock down a building with his little finger will you accept he wins?
Reply 63
An Equalibrium
LOL you ass, this was copy and pasted off his wikipedia entry, an entry which has already been flagged for skewed information bordering upon hero worship. This place is full of tards.

I didn't get it from Wikipedia, but i just took a look and a) the feats mentioned are different to the quotes i put down, and b) they are all referenced to martial arts books or DVDs. None of them have a flag for skewed information.
Reply 64
Rucklo
Watch a film?

No thanks.. show me a video of him competing.

If I can get one of Lesnar's students to say he can knock down a building with his little finger will you accept he wins?

:rofl:
"show me proof" "ok it's there" "no i'm not watching that"

So now you're also saying the words of some of the most renowned and respected martial artists aren't good enough? Yes, it must be a giant conspiracy to make us all think that Bruce Lee wasn't as good as he was claimed to be...
Reply 65
richwhite
:rofl:
"show me proof" "ok it's there" "no i'm not watching that"

So now you're also saying the words of some of the most renowned and respected martial artists aren't good enough? Yes, it must be a giant conspiracy to make us all think that Bruce Lee wasn't as good as he was claimed to be...

A FILM IS SCRIPTED YOU GORM.

According to films there are blue creatures on other planets and Daniel Craig is an MI5 agent.

Are you that retarded?

And erm the only people who talk about these "feats" are his students, where are spectator accounts? video accounts? fight record accounts?
Reply 66
Rucklo
A FILM IS SCRIPTED YOU GORM.

According to films there are blue creatures on other planets and Daniel Craig is an MI5 agent.

Are you that retarded?

IT'S A DOCUMENTARY YOU GORM.

Jesus, you literally have 0 background knowledge on Bruce Lee and still claim it's all lies? You're a tard.

His 'students' didn't find him looking through the yellow pages, they were people who saw his fights, many of them were people on the losing end of fighting with him. Most were the huge guys he picked out of the crowd at MA demonstrations and weren't able to land a punch on him. Later ones were Hollywood guys like Coburn. You think the average karate kid is gonna be teaching some of the most famous well-paid people? They'd get lessons from the best in the world. Or is Chuck Norris a fraud too? He must've got a paper karate championship as did Mike Stone, because they both got on the receiving end of his abilities and both stated their admiration for his ability.
Reply 67
richwhite

Jesus, you literally have 0 background knowledge on Bruce Lee and still claim it's all lies? You're a tard.

You have given no evidence what so ever :rofl:.
Reply 68
Rucklo
You have given no evidence what so ever :rofl:.

Ah, but you have just ignored everything or poorly attempted to twist it.
Reply 69
richwhite

His 'students' didn't find him looking through the yellow pages, they were people who saw his fights, many of them were people on the losing end of fighting with him. Most were the huge guys he picked out of the crowd at MA demonstrations and weren't able to land a punch on him. Later ones were Hollywood guys like Coburn. You think the average karate kid is gonna be teaching some of the most famous well-paid people? They'd get lessons from the best in the world. Or is Chuck Norris a fraud too? He must've got a paper karate championship as did Mike Stone, because they both got on the receiving end of his abilities and both stated their admiration for his ability.

He fought a load of huge guys? Who gives a ****? Who were these people? What were there fight records? What standard were they?

And having admiration from people =/= being able to beat one of the greatest heavyweight MMA champions.

Lesnar has loads of admiration from current and past champions, so what? He proves his worth in the octagon.

No fight record and no video = no conclusive evidence.
Reply 70
Rucklo
He fought a load of huge guys? Who gives a ****? Who were these people? What were there fight records? What standard were they?

And having admiration from people =/= being able to beat one of the greatest heavyweight MMA champions.

Lesnar has loads of admiration from current and past champions, so what? He proves his worth in the octagon.

No fight record and no video = no conclusive evidence.

Well we've moved on Lesnar vs Bruce now, because you decided to take the route of knocking all the claims about Bruce instead.

Fact is, he was involved in fights. There is video evidence of his strength, speed and spars. You can watch Curse of the Dragon, and you can buy a DVD of old sparring footage. He was challenged to street fights, fights with other instructors, and his house was broken into. Not a single loss, and some of the best known martial artists instead have said he had amazing abilities.

I saw a UFC fight a while ago, was a huge, muscly black guy, and a tall, lean skinny white guy. The white guy moved around until he saw an opening and one punch to the jaw = out cold big guy. I also saw the fight with the little Chinese dude who, within seconds, landed a kick to the solar plexus, rendering his large opponent vomiting and on his knees. You seem to think size counts for everything, but if you can't get your hands on the littler guy it's no use. Deny all the feats about Bruce all you want, but there is video proof of his speed and reflexes, which would make either of the above scenarios entirely possible.

This website also makes overlooked points: http://www.fightingmaster.com/masters/brucelee/master.htm Bruce Lee was directly responsible for much of how martial arts is viewed and practised nowadays. Now, i'm not saying this as 'proof' of his fighting abilities, but fact is, he wouldn't have made the contributions he did had he not known his stuff. And if you have ever read any of his books, you'd know he was damn good.
Rucklo
Yet he has no proven fight record and has only done seminars against hand picked opponents.

And this one inch punch crap was done against someone of his own size, and that again was amazingly done against hand picked people.

If you tried that on Lesnar you would be in serious trouble.

This was the 50's, 60's and 70's there were no MMA fights, if there were I'm sure he would relish in being involved. He welcomed any challenges during many of his appearances on TV and during tournaments, as well as sorting anyone who wanted to make a name for themselves by challenging him on film sets.

Having a striking speed of five hundredths of a second from 3 feet away and being able to cause a 90 kg bag to fly towards and thump the ceiling with a sidekick has little to do with being a movie star....He was a true fighter through and though, and lived for it.

Reply 72
^^^ Fight much?
Reply 73
Trouser Snake
This was the 50's, 60's and 70's there were no MMA fights, if there were I'm sure he would relish in being involved. He welcomed any challenges during many of his appearances on TV and during tournaments, as well as sorting anyone who wanted to make a name for themselves by challenging him on film sets.

Having a striking speed of five hundredths of a second from 3 feet away and being able to cause a 90 kg bag to fly towards and thump the ceiling with a sidekick has little to do with being a movie star....He was a true fighter through and though, and lived for it.

Chuck Norris has a legit fight record and was around at the time.

Bruce does not.

Show me video of him sending this bag flying :rofl:.

And wow, all that shows is he can balance on one thumb, which while being a physical feat is not abnormal for strength conditioned people.
richwhite
Well we've moved on Lesnar vs Bruce now, because you decided to take the route of knocking all the claims about Bruce instead.

Fact is, he was involved in fights. There is video evidence of his strength, speed and spars. You can watch Curse of the Dragon, and you can buy a DVD of old sparring footage. He was challenged to street fights, fights with other instructors, and his house was broken into. Not a single loss, and some of the best known martial artists instead have said he had amazing abilities.

I saw a UFC fight a while ago, was a huge, muscly black guy, and a tall, lean skinny white guy. The white guy moved around until he saw an opening and one punch to the jaw = out cold big guy. I also saw the fight with the little Chinese dude who, within seconds, landed a kick to the solar plexus, rendering his large opponent vomiting and on his knees. You seem to think size counts for everything, but if you can't get your hands on the littler guy it's no use. Deny all the feats about Bruce all you want, but there is video proof of his speed and reflexes, which would make either of the above scenarios entirely possible.

"big black guy" and a "skinny white guy" just get lost you clueless pencil neck, defend an unproven fighter philosopher by citing films and documentaries and you cant even name the fighters you were watching. What is it with people running their gums here when they know **** all about what they are discussing? Show me an actual demonstration you idiotic tard, how about a competition? No, you'll just show me more hollywood fodder for naive children like yourself. Street fights are meaningless since you dont take on professional opponents, there are plenty of anecdotal stories of Tysons early fighting prowess however these will never be mentioned in his contest history.

You. Are. A. Clown.

Get off the couch, hit the gym and train.
Reply 75
An Equalibrium
"big black guy" and a "skinny white guy" just get lost you clueless pencil neck, defend an unproven fighter philosopher by citing films and documentaries and you cant even name the fighters you were watching. What is it with people running their gums here when they know **** all about what they are discussing? Show me an actual demonstration you idiotic tard, how about a competition? No, you'll just show me more hollywood fodder for naive children like yourself. Street fights are meaningless since you dont take on professional opponents, there are plenty of anecdotal stories of Tysons early fighting prowess however these will never be mentioned in his contest history.

You. Are. A. Clown.

Get off the couch, hit the gym and train.

Riiight, so i'm to remember the name of every fight i ever saw? I'm going back 6 years. I've seen boxing matches that i don't know the names of the people, i enjoy watching the fight, not the names. and i said the 'skinny white' and 'big black' as to demonstrate the fact the little guys won.

Show you a demonstration? Find your own damn demonstration, i've given the title of a documentary, go download it.

Hollywood fodder? Yeah sorry, that's all dan inosanto, sugar ray leonard, chuck norris, joe lewis and jackie chan are right? None of them would know what they talk about.

It cracks me up, here we have a bunch of 18, 19 year olds slamming on Bruce because he was a smaller guy, discounting the words of guys who knew him and trained with him, because it goes against what you think. :rofl:

Oh, and before you continue with the ad-hoc attacks that i don't know what i'm talking about, i've studied and practised numerous martial arts for over a decade
Reply 76
Rucklo
Chuck Norris has a legit fight record and was around at the time.

Funny you mention that, because Chuck said of Bruce "many today don’t realize he never competed professionally. If he had, I believe he would have been a world champion."
An Equalibrium
Wow, dude dont comment in my presence man, I'll make you look like a tool. Though thats not much of an achievement. Lee DEMONSTRATED there, performing various techniques such as the famous "unstoppable punch" against USKA world karate champion Vic Moore. He did not compete nor did he win any US based competitions as far as I am aware. His supposed "defeat" of 3 time British champion Elms is cited from the ******* IMDB! I mean...seriously??? If anyone has browsed Lee's "fight history" they will now its one of the most comedic pieces you'll find on Wikipedia.

This always entertains:

I mean, wow, you people are stupid.

At least I don't need to make you look like a tool, you're doing a good job by yourself. Don't pretend you know it because clearly you don't. He didn't just demonstrate he sparred with many and made those so sure of themselves look stupid. Try having a browse on Youtube..
Reply 78
richwhite
Funny you mention that, because Chuck said of Bruce "many today don’t realize he never competed professionally. If he had, I believe he would have been a world champion."

There have been many world champions.

None would beat Lesnar in MMA, even before you compare skill just because he is 100lbs heavier.
Reply 79
Rucklo
There have been many world champions.

None would beat Lesnar in MMA, even before you compare skill just because he is 100lbs heavier.

LOL!
So you're telling me if a well-timed roundhouse caught Lesnar's face as he ran towards you he wouldn't go down?

GTFO. Talk of Lee aside, you're clearly a Lesnar fanboi that takes ignorance to new levels. A guy could be 500lbs of pure muscle, but a punch to the nose will still break it. A kick to the groin, solar plexus or knee will still take them down.

Latest