The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
llys

What changes to the syllabus of a subject YOU, personally, consider 'soft' would be needed to make YOU 'respect' it?

Most people wouldn't study a subject that they themself considered to be soft, therefore they aren't going to be in a position to sensibly critique the syllabus of such a subject.
Reply 41
doggyfizzel
Back to the question, the only way to make subjects more respected is to make them more 'pure' which I would say changes the subject. Psychology in a more pure sense, is more scientific and heads towards medicine or biology, which is all just chemistry, which is just the application of physics, which is represented,explained and proved with maths.

Thank you as well, however I'm not sure I agree. Surely given that you can study "pure" psychology at university there must be enough, rigorous subject-specific content to make a respected A-Level out of it, without turning it into Biology or Medicine.
Reply 42
x-pixie-lottie-x
your list is dodgy ...
sociology aint on it!
and psychology is...

and anyway... its not the subjects that are "soft" changing the subject wouldnt help you need to change peoples attitude and how they view the subject = impossible :smile:
x

I agree with that to some extent, however not completely. To illustrate that, you just told me Sociology is soft - I therefore assume you think Sociology is soft :h:, so then, what would it take to make you respect it, or if you prefer, make you think it is respected? Is there really nothing that would make you change your mind?
llys
Thank you as well, however I'm not sure I agree. Surely given that you can study "pure" psychology at university there must be enough, rigorous subject content to make a respected A-Level out of it, without turning it into Biology or Medicine.

I'm pretty sure you could study golf course management at A-level by that rational.
Think about what a respected subject has and put those skills into the so called "soft subjects"
and i know you dont want to hear it, but I disagree with the list-geography and engineering aren't soft subjects, and I think the only reason psychology is a soft subject is because so many people take it, not knowing what else to choose and not wanting to do one of the other so called "soft subjects".
llys
I agree with that to some extent, however not completely. To illustrate that, you just told me Sociology is soft - I therefore assume you think Sociology is soft :h:, so then, what would it take to make you respect it, or if you prefer, make you think it is respected? Is there really nothing that would make you change your mind?

sociology isnt a soft subject... none of them are there all just precieved by other people as being so

i study sociology... so i highlighted it as virtually everyone does see it as being a soft subject lol i hear often enough "oh sociology"
well sociology and psychology...

there all difficult subjects on different measures
x
define a soft course/degree. some people think it means 'easy' whereas other people think 'useless'..
Reply 47
MancStudent098
I would say that my Economics A-level made zero impact on my ability to do economics at undergrad level, whereas my history and maths have been invaluable. In that sense the Econ A-level was useless.

As for Law and Phil I would put them in the same category. They neither explain their subjects properly (so they have no stand alone use), nor offer the same core skill levels as, for example, History would.

This is very interesting. In my country, Economics is not a "respected" subject and is not even offered to people who take the normal further education route. TSR worships it, which always confused me.

I agree with you. However I think it would be fairly easy to make Economics and Philosophy more rigorous - add more depth, argument and analysis (and maths, for economics).

I suppose that would turn them into first year undergraduate introductory modules, but I don't think that would be so bad...
llys
Just wondering. :h:

Some people call these subjects 'soft':

Media Studies/Film Studies
Drama & Theatre Studies
English Language
Business Studies
Geography
Psychology
Sport Science
ICT/Computing
DT/Engineering

I don't care if you agree with this list or not - that is not the point. My question is:

What changes to the syllabus of a subject YOU, personally, consider 'soft' would be needed to make YOU 'respect' it?

Constructive comments, please, or I will have to assume you don't actually know what you are talking about.

I can get an A in economics but a C in business how is it soft?
Reply 49
TickTackToe
I can get an A in economics but a C in business how is it soft?

Please read my post again, carefully, and then try to answer the QUESTION (in bold). Or don't, as the case may be, i.e. if you, personally, don't think of any subject as "soft".
Reply 50
Doyle&TheFourFathers
define a soft course/degree. some people think it means 'easy' whereas other people think 'useless'..

You may use your own definition to answer the question.
Reply 51
I don't think you should class Geography, English Language and Psychology as soft
Reply 52
Doyle&TheFourFathers

They are easy and therefore useless. Comprende?
Firstly, I think the system is ok with soft and hard subjects. However, I think there should be less emphasis on memorising things.

Secondly, all the people with a love of soft subject X take great lengths to defend subject X saying it is not soft.
I do physics, philosophy & ethics, and psychology. My passions are in philosophy and psychology. I have no shame in saying openly that they are soft subjects compared to physics.
Reply 54
bananabrain
Think about what a respected subject has and put those skills into the so called "soft subjects"

and i know you dont want to hear it, but I disagree with the list-geography and engineering aren't soft subjects, and I think the only reason psychology is a soft subject is because so many people take it, not knowing what else to choose and not wanting to do one of the other so called "soft subjects".

Indeed I don't want to hear it any more. :h: I think I will edit the list out of the first post, otherwise I'm going to go crazy, people are getting so side-tracked by this, I don't understand why. It's not even MY list, I just compiled it from some TSR threads. :sigh:
Easy. I'd scrap them :jiggy:
Born2Win
They are easy and therefore useless. Comprende?

Ci

Especially ICT and Computing; programming! gosh what a waste of time THAT is :p:
Wolfos
I would just like to ask those who are so against 'soft' subjects, and are at a top 10 uni doing medicine or some 'respected' subject, did you go to a state school or a private school? I wasn't as lucky as you lot, being uninterested in Maths and Science because I enjoyed English instead. Nobody at my school told me there were 'less respected' degrees at uni. I was never told the career path I wanted to take was 'worthless'. I was told to study what I enjoy. Some might say "well you should've done the research". Well I'm sorry, but being the 15-16 year old angsty teenager, I was more interested in getting drunk/laid and playing football in the park and Xbox Live. To expect someone so young to plan out their entire life is frankly, ludicrous.

I also really dislike the word 'respected' in regards to a degree. Who are you looking for respect from, your accomplices at Oxford? Personally I think the word should be 'employable' or something. 'Respected' just reeks of insecurity. If you have such a massive problem with someone doing English or Media or Psychology, then keep it to yourself. Your taxes are being spent on a lot worse than the average Joe's favourite subject which doesn't happen to come under your list of 'respected' subjects.

Spot on post there mate.
Reply 58
ColdVein
Most people wouldn't study a subject that they themself considered to be soft, therefore they aren't going to be in a position to sensibly critique the syllabus of such a subject.

I completely agree with this. Some of the criticism on here does appear to be very ill informed.
Reply 59
doggyfizzel
I'm pretty sure you could study golf course management at A-level by that rational.

Yes. The question is how rigorous you could truly make it as it seems to me that there aren't many subject-specific concepts and not much subject-specific analysis would be required (unlike Psychology, where there is a distinct body of knowledge, theory and scientific research).

I think there is an A-Level called Tourism or Leisure and Tourism, but I haven't checked the syllabus...

Latest