The Student Room Group

Music, music tech or both?

After university I want to go into sound engineering, but I don't know what to do at uni...

I love music, and would absolutely love to do it as a degree but with that take me away from the sound engineering path? Would I be able to do a degree in music and then get an apprenticeship or something at a studio?

I've also considered doing music technology as a course but I don't think I'd enjoy it as much as music - is it worth doing just music tech to get a better head start in the sound engineering world? :s-smilie:

Or I could do a combined degree with both music and music tech, though I've heard that combinations are looked down upon due to not going into so much depth in both subjects. Is this true?

Also any personal experiences doing music/music tech at university would be much appreciated :smile: thanks!
Reply 1
Hey, I've just applied to do a straight music degree starting in 2010. I have a different path, but from what i've seen within a music degree is a mixture of musicology, performing and composing. Another thing i've discovered with unis that do music is that most of the higher and prostigious unis just do straight music, whereas more of the newer unis do music tech so music tech tends to have lesser entry grades than music. You could also have a look at contemporary music degrees.
Having looked round unis most include music tech within the music course, more than others. City of London was excellent and they had a great music tech side to the music degree. Another option is to consider a music degree that gives you an option to work in a chosen area for a year. Surrey do a 4-year music degree which includes a year working in a music related career.

Just have a look at websites and start requesting prospectus' to get an idea of what each uni and each course offers.

I hope this helps and Good Luck
Reply 2
Hey there. If you want to get a job in a studio save yourself the expense of a useless degree in music tech and 3 years and just go and pester(in a nice way) your local studio's for a position as the studio gopher(this was what I did, after an incredibly expensive 1 year at a private music school doing production) and find out if you like working in a studio first. Words of advice from me when you have the job are to KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. You should be seen and NOT heard. Trust me, I got a LOT of bollo*ings. Also, if your boss is a w***ker then don't be afraid to leave. Read lots on the music industry and what rights you will have. t wont be a lot being a tea boy/girl but if your good at your job you'll go far. It's all about contacts. You may get your next job off of the back of a session you worked at in your current studio. Thats how it is. Very closed doors. College won't prepare you for studio work. Nothing will, just studio work.
By the way, every year thousands of kids graduate from schools and uni's with music tech quals and only 3 jobs(if your lucky) are available and half the time the studio's don't want these kids cos they think they know everything, when in fact they know absolutley nothing. Do this then get a degree in music and electronics so you can fix and build your own gear when you have your own place and the people who were bossing you around are now licking your bum.
Good luck.

Latest