The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Going through Extra for Primary Education at Durham

Hey.. So basically I applied through UCAS Extra for Primary Education (General) at Queen's, Durham. I now thankfully recieved the opportunity of an interview however, the interview proccess involes:
1. A 5 min presentation
2. Written english task

The presentation cannot involve powerpoint/OHP ..and has to be on "the learning proccess".
The written task will be about "the role of the primary teacher"

Any advice on what to expect if you are a current student/have had an interview. And any advice as to how to go about the presentation aspect should I just talk for 5 minutes? I am soo low in confidence in speaking infront of people (especially professionals!) :/ so yeah.. pretty much not looking forward to it. This is my chance to prove this is what i want to do!
Reply 1
rlnixon
Hey.. So basically I applied through UCAS Extra for Primary Education (General) at Queen's, Durham. I now thankfully recieved the opportunity of an interview however, the interview proccess involes:
1. A 5 min presentation
2. Written english task

The presentation cannot involve powerpoint/OHP ..and has to be on "the learning proccess".
The written task will be about "the role of the primary teacher"

Any advice on what to expect if you are a current student/have had an interview. And any advice as to how to go about the presentation aspect should I just talk for 5 minutes? I am soo low in confidence in speaking infront of people (especially professionals!) :/ so yeah.. pretty much not looking forward to it. This is my chance to prove this is what i want to do!

Hi, i just got an offer today for this, had my interview two weeks ago, it is pretty daunting but i made a few slip ups and still got in so dont worry too much :smile:
the written test was just like a simple english test paper question about your primary teacher so nothing much to worry about there, you have ages to do it
for the talk, think of some experience youve had, i used an example that was about the childs learning and also my own and that learning never really ends, even though you may think you have learnt it all, there will alsways be more to learn, blah blah blah, fluff it up and make it sound good, all i did :smile: lol x
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
jessw89
Hi, i just got an offer today for this, had my interview two weeks ago, it is pretty daunting but i made a few slip ups and still got in so dont worry too much :smile:
the written test was just like a simple english test paper question about your primary teacher so nothing much to worry about there, you have ages to do it
for the talk, think of some experience youve had, i used an example that was about the childs learning and also my own and that learning never really ends, even though you may think you have learnt it all, there will alsways be more to learn, blah blah blah, fluff it up and make it sound good, all i did :smile: lol x

Hi congratulations! How long was it before they got back to you to offer you your place?
Is the written piece simply about the role of a primary teacher? And for the presentation did you simply just stand and talk for the 5 minutes? My interview is next Thursday and it's really daunting. I'm more worried over the presentation as I'm no good at them! :smile:
Reply 3
rlnixon
Hi congratulations! How long was it before they got back to you to offer you your place?
Is the written piece simply about the role of a primary teacher? And for the presentation did you simply just stand and talk for the 5 minutes? My interview is next Thursday and it's really daunting. I'm more worried over the presentation as I'm no good at them! :smile:

cant remember the phrasing but it was along the lines of why was your primary teacher good/bad and how will this influence you or something, pretty straight forward, i got told its more testing your grammar and spelling than what you actually write but obviously you need to answer the question.
there were some people that brought in props etc but i just basically talked, get some que cards and stuff so you dont just read of some paper, eye contact, gestures, maybe some examples of what it is your talking about, i had some of my college work for them to look at about the experience i was referring to. props could be good if your not goot at presentations? make something to back up what your saying, a mini activity or something? if you have pictures of things you have done before you could make them into a sort of mood board type thing?
my interview was tues 30th march, got a letter on monday/tuesday cant remember which(13th/14th april) from durham saying ive been accepted but UCAS and durham track havent changed yet :s x
Reply 4
jessw89
cant remember the phrasing but it was along the lines of why was your primary teacher good/bad and how will this influence you or something, pretty straight forward, i got told its more testing your grammar and spelling than what you actually write but obviously you need to answer the question.
there were some people that brought in props etc but i just basically talked, get some que cards and stuff so you dont just read of some paper, eye contact, gestures, maybe some examples of what it is your talking about, i had some of my college work for them to look at about the experience i was referring to. props could be good if your not goot at presentations? make something to back up what your saying, a mini activity or something? if you have pictures of things you have done before you could make them into a sort of mood board type thing?
my interview was tues 30th march, got a letter on monday/tuesday cant remember which(13th/14th april) from durham saying ive been accepted but UCAS and durham track havent changed yet :s x

Hi sorry, hadn't realised you had replied! I had my interview on Thursday.. must say I think I answered everything to my best ability and gave plenty reference to my experience. But my nerves did take over! :smile: They were nice enough, really laid back and not how I expected them to be at all. I did take prompt cards however, they were not much help in the situation! As I didn't want to be looking down etc. So I take it you waited 2 weeks for a reply? that's pretty long :frown: it already feels like its been a lifetime since Thursday! Its pretty worrying that ucas hasn't changed for you, how are you supposed to accept the offer? That's if your planning on choosing Durham? x
Reply 5
rlnixon
Hi sorry, hadn't realised you had replied! I had my interview on Thursday.. must say I think I answered everything to my best ability and gave plenty reference to my experience. But my nerves did take over! :smile: They were nice enough, really laid back and not how I expected them to be at all. I did take prompt cards however, they were not much help in the situation! As I didn't want to be looking down etc. So I take it you waited 2 weeks for a reply? that's pretty long :frown: it already feels like its been a lifetime since Thursday! Its pretty worrying that ucas hasn't changed for you, how are you supposed to accept the offer? That's if your planning on choosing Durham? x

from what ive been told its quite usualy to get it in writing before ucas changes, cant remember when it changed but its all done and sorted now :smile:
will Durham be your first choice?
Reply 6
jessw89
from what ive been told its quite usualy to get it in writing before ucas changes, cant remember when it changed but its all done and sorted now :smile:
will Durham be your first choice?

They told me I'd hear back within 10days, I'm shocked you waited longer. I'm getting impatient! ha. Ah good, yes it will be my first what about you? Do you live near? Or are you planning on moving x
Reply 7
rlnixon
They told me I'd hear back within 10days, I'm shocked you waited longer. I'm getting impatient! ha. Ah good, yes it will be my first what about you? Do you live near? Or are you planning on moving x

10 working days
heard back in 9 working days
yeah, will have to move up though, live in ********** atm (if you know where that is lol)
you live nearby?x
Reply 8
:/ forgot it wont let me put where i live
scun thorpe
without the space lol x
Reply 9
jessw89
10 working days
heard back in 9 working days
yeah, will have to move up though, live in ********** atm (if you know where that is lol)
you live nearby?x

Ah they just said 10 days, but i'll take that into account when i become more impatient ha.
No I don't know where it is but I've heard of it :smile:.
Yeah I live in Sunderland its about 40 minutes away in a car x
Reply 10
thats not too bad then
its a bit south east of hull, other side of the river
we're in that song :smile: lol x
Reply 11
jessw89
thats not too bad then
its a bit south east of hull, other side of the river
we're in that song :smile: lol x

Haha yes you's are :smile:, i still don't have a clue I'm no good at geography! If you don't mind me asking how old are you? are you straight out of college and going on the course or? x
Reply 12
rlnixon
Haha yes you's are :smile:, i still don't have a clue I'm no good at geography! If you don't mind me asking how old are you? are you straight out of college and going on the course or? x

i'll be 21 in september :smile: had a few years out. you?x
Reply 13
jessw89
i'll be 21 in september :smile: had a few years out. you?x

I'm 18, straight out of my A-Levels. You probably have a lot of experience then? I've only been working within a school since last october x
Reply 14
rlnixon
I'm 18, straight out of my A-Levels. You probably have a lot of experience then? I've only been working within a school since last october x

ive been running an out of school club, not quite the same but i still have to do all the planning and what not for the EYFS (early years foundation stage) so planning wise i know what im doing to some extent. its a different curriculum but we covered it all at college so just need to remember it lol x

Latest