The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Apendicitis

So I've had a pain in my lower left abdomen for a few days now. It's not that painful, but I'm worried it might be appendicitis. I've got some symptoms like back pain, loss of appetite etc. I'm kinda worried.

I'm going to see my GP, but how will he check if I have it?

Are they open on Sundays?

I've read some statistics and it said 3 out of 1000 people die from the operation when they remove the appendix. This is higher than I thought it would be.

Also, I'm overweight. Will there be complications at all? This is the bit I'm more worried about.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
hey just want to say dw as ur appendix is on ur right side not ur left..

i gt my appendix removed 5 years ago n the pain was immense.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I've read up on this and it says you can experience pain on your left side as well.

How did you know you had it? Went to the doctors first when you had minor pains, or it ruptured and went straight to the hospital?
Reply 3
Anonymous
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I've read up on this and it says you can experience pain on your left side as well.

How did you know you had it? Went to the doctors first when you had minor pains, or it ruptured and went straight to the hospital?

If you're having abdominal pain that is sudden and you're concerned, you should see a doctor. The risk of death from an appendectomy is 3/1000, the risk of a ruptured appendix is much higher. But as was pointed out above, the pain from appendicitis is usually severe pain that starts around the 'belly-button' and then moves to the lower right part of the abdomen.

If it doesn't get better in a few hours, or it gets worse, go to the A&E. Just to be safe.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not feeling any severe pains, just a mild one. I'm going to sleep on it hopefully it's nothing. If it persists I'll go to the doctors on Monday.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Anonymous
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not feeling any severe pains, just a mild one. I'm going to sleep on it hopefully it's nothing. If it persists I'll go to the doctors on Monday.

yeah thats the courser of action id take..what happened to me was i couldnt sleep because of pain then went to gp.gp lied me on bed n prodded my stomach dwn to lower right abdomen where when he prodded it it hurt a lot than other areas.on this i was told to wait until afternoon where i went to a n e.

they made me wait all night where until morning where i gt chekd n in afternon went to theatre and had it out.i was told when they cut meopen my appendix was extremely close to bursting..
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest