The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

For all those heading for Chamberlain and Glen this Autumn...

Come check out www.chamberlainhalls.co.uk! It's got loads of information on the halls and the people that run it, and there's a messageboard so you can post and ask questions etc... (it's lively in termtime, honest!) and also a gallery so you can see what we've been getting up to in years gone by. Feel free to ask any questions you want in this thread, I'll do my best to help you out.

Looking forward to meeting you all in freshers'...

Yogi x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:hello:

ok, question for u.

how expensive is a pint at the bar?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Depends which one you mean. We've still got to agree the prices for next term, but at Chamberlain and Glen this year a pint of Carling, Worthington, Blackthorn cider, or Carling Extra Cold was £1.20 (before 9) and £1.50 after. Guinness was £1.80 all night, as was Coors Light, and there's a couple of others. To be honest most people tend to drink Carling or Snakebite+Black (half Carling half Blackthorn + dash Blackcurrant), as they're dead cheap. We also run a "drink the bar dry" event at the end of every term (because the bar's closed outside uni term time we have to clear all perishable stock i.e. beer) and drinks can get VERY cheap, I think we got down to something like 60p for a pint of Carling this time around.

If you're talking about the Stag's Head (the student's union bar) then it's a tad more expensive, but I couldn't give you details to be honest, at a guess something like £1.60 for a pint of Carling all night...

Yogi
Reply 3
I haven't got my accommodation reply yet (have anyone? Should I start to worry now?), but I have a feeling I'll get put into Glen Eyre - if so, I'll go check it out. :smile:
Reply 4
:eek:

thats pretty good for a pint!

i dont have my accommodation reply letter either :confused:
Reply 5
I assume they will come when we get our details about soton (Please god I hope so)

Now we covered the beer.. But how much does a decent double cost? (Spirits..spirits and spirits.) :smile:
Again these prices could change, but our shots are mostly £1, with some of the more expensive things (like J.D.) £1.25. Vodka is 75p a shot in happy hour.

Yogi
Awww, my mum lived in Chamberlain when she was at uni, and I think my dad lived in Glen Eyre.....awww hehe.

Sorry! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Glen Eyre walk on water everyobdy nnows that dog shitttt floats!
Reply 9
Sophdoph
Glen Eyre walk on water everyobdy nnows that dog shitttt floats!

:eek:
Monte are just jealous cuz we have the best halls. Glen is not gonna be as good as Chamberlain this year though, cuz a lot of the blocks are closed for refurbishment.

Chamberlain til I die.

Yogi
Reply 11
YogiChamberlain
Monte are just jealous cuz we have the best halls. Glen is not gonna be as good as Chamberlain this year though, cuz a lot of the blocks are closed for refurbishment.

Chamberlain til I die.

Yogi

Rubbish. We've got the best transport links (Airport Parkway is 5 mins away), we don't have to walk uphill in the dark with very few street lights in all weathers and we are served by all the uni buses except 1 in comparision to Glen Eyre getting one bus. We also have Monte3 whichis equal to South Hill and Monte4 which is better than Hartley and South Hill as it hasn't even opened yet!
Reply 12
wow! lots of life in the forum now :biggrin::biggrin:

go Chamberlain
a) I could get to my lectures in 5 minutes if I was running late when I was in halls. Could you?

b) I could walk back from the cube or the stag's whenever I felt like it, for free, and secure in the knowledge that there'd be lots of other people walking in the same direction, any time, without having to worry about buses or taxis. Could you?

c) Next year there's gonna be two JCRs working together (Glen and Chamberlain) - never before in the history of the uni have these two JCRs been such good mates. The Glen JCR is quality, and so are we. We're gonna make next year the best freshers' year ever for everyone in the Glen complex. I'm not even arguing with you, cuz Monte is so hilariously rubbish it's not even funny. Oh yeah - almost everyone I've spoken to from Monte this year admits they would rather have been in Chamberlain or Glen. So there!

:cool:

yogi

edit: Not trying to be mean, I'm sure you're nice and everything, but you're very, very wrong.
Reply 14
YogiChamberlain
a) I could get to my lectures in 5 minutes if I was running late when I was in halls. Could you?

b) I could walk back from the cube or the stag's whenever I felt like it, for free, and secure in the knowledge that there'd be lots of other people walking in the same direction, any time, without having to worry about buses or taxis. Could you?

c) Next year there's gonna be two JCRs working together (Glen and Chamberlain) - never before in the history of the uni have these two JCRs been such good mates. The Glen JCR is quality, and so are we. We're gonna make next year the best freshers' year ever for everyone in the Glen complex. I'm not even arguing with you, cuz Monte is so hilariously rubbish it's not even funny. Oh yeah - almost everyone I've spoken to from Monte this year admits they would rather have been in Chamberlain or Glen. So there!

:cool:

yogi

edit: Not trying to be mean, I'm sure you're nice and everything, but you're very, very wrong.

Even if i was at Glen i couldn't get to my lectures in five mins. Lots of them are at the hospital. But that is a big advantage for poeple who have lectures on or around highfield and i'd choose Glen if i were one of them.But i'm not.

Those places you mention aren't really my cup of tea anyway, the student bus is more than adequate for the cube and highfield (safety bus) and i never travel alone and yes there are always people walking back to monte when i've walked back through St. Marys (although i don't do that often).

Of course you believe Glen is better, thats your job and you have experience of it. I don't have enough experience of Glen to try and discount it like you have monte, but for my personal preferences, Monte has everything i want and i don't need to pick holes in anyones arguments because my opinion is just that, my opinion.

I don't mind whether you think i'm Mother Theresa or the Spawn of the Devil what i'm writing is to enable people to see both sides with in my opinion is never a bad thing. You can show the positives and negatives of both.
a very diplomatic and reasoned response, thank you. It's good to see people that have the self-control to be able to say things like that. Personally I find it very hard when you disagree with someone to let it go. But I will. I'm sure Monte has a lot of positive aspects!

Cheers,
Yogi
Haha... they're good now, I promise. We're like one big happy family.

Yogi
Reply 17
Glen and Chamberlain are the best places to live..we have 2 decent bars, Monte have the boiler house. End of.
Glen bar's not THAT decent now to be honest - seeing as a lot of Glen is being refurbished, Glen Bar is a lot quieter than it once was. Still good though, and they run some quality events.

Yogi
Reply 19
so what kind of stuff is gonna be happening in freshers week?

Latest

Trending

Trending