The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Your grades remain 'on-the-shelf' until you certificate/aggregate. If you re-take a module, the highest mark of all the 'takes' will count. If you certificate, then retake you have to start again and re-take all the modules.

If you are going to continue the subject with the same exam board for A2 then it shouldn't be certificated, so re-taking a module wont be a problem, and it will be your highest mark that counts.
Janlon
Your grades remain 'on-the-shelf' until you certificate/aggregate. If you re-take a module, the highest mark of all the 'takes' will count. If you certificate, then retake you have to start again and re-take all the modules.

If you are going to continue the subject with the same exam board for A2 then it shouldn't be certificated, so re-taking a module wont be a problem, and it will be your highest mark that counts.

So, If I wanan retake the entire thing, and the exam board is the same, I can "decline" my grades and if I get a lower mark, I can get that declined grade back?
Reply 3
There's no need to 'decline' anything. If you do nothing (making sure your college doesn't certificate/aggregate - they shouldn't at AS without asking you) the grades will stay 'on-the-shelf'. If you choose not to take A2 English Lit, you can then ask for the AS to be certificated/aggregated when you like (normally at the same time as your A2 results).

Ring your college and speak to your Exams Officer for more detail - check when they would normally certificate, etc.
Janlon
There's no need to 'decline' anything. If you do nothing (making sure your college doesn't certificate/aggregate - they shouldn't at AS without asking you) the grades will stay 'on-the-shelf'. If you choose not to take A2 English Lit, you can then ask for the AS to be certificated/aggregated when you like (normally at the same time as your A2 results).

Ring your college and speak to your Exams Officer for more detail - check when they would normally certificate, etc.

Ok,

1) What's certificating?
2) I wanna repeat the AS in the first year, and if I get a lower mark, use the marks I got this year, can I do that if its the same exam board/spec?
??????
Someone responnnnnddd
Reply 7
1) What's certificating?
2) I wanna repeat the AS in the first year, and if I get a lower mark, use the marks I got this year, can I do that if its the same exam board/spec?

1) When you got your AS result today, it was just a piece of paper. You do not actually have an AS grade until you get a certificate proving it, which usually is presented to you at school around October.

2) Yes you can, as long as you do not decline the grade. Instead of officially decling the grade, just redo the year studying the subject. If you get a lower mark then the original mark will still remain. What you want to do instead of decling the grade is to not "cash" in the AS grade you got today. By that I mean not getting the certificate. It's different to declining as declining rejects the grade and it is gone, while not cashing in the grade just delays the certification of the AS grade for another year. That way, at the end of next year, if you have redone the exam, if you do lower in the retake, you can request for the result you got today to be cashed in and you will get a certificate proving it.
Sami C
1) When you got your AS result today, it was just a piece of paper. You do not actually have an AS grade until you get a certificate proving it, which usually is presented to you at school around October.

2) Yes you can, as long as you do not decline the grade. Instead of officially decling the grade, just redo the year studying the subject. If you get a lower mark then the original mark will still remain. What you want to do instead of decling the grade is to not "cash" in the AS grade you got today. By that I mean not getting the certificate. It's different to declining as declining rejects the grade and it is gone, while not cashing in the grade just delays the certification of the AS grade for another year. That way, at the end of next year, if you have redone the exam, if you do lower in the retake, you can request for the result you got today to be cashed in and you will get a certificate proving it.

1) Ok.

2) How do I stop them from certificating ? Should I phone them up tomorrow and explain to them?

3) Supposing its a different exam/board specification? :\
Reply 9
2) How do I stop them from certificating ? Should I phone them up tomorrow and explain to them?

3) Supposing its a different exam/board specification? :\

2)It may well be your school's policy to not cash in like mine, but yes, phone them up and ask to not cash your grade in, and explain why. I'm sure they would let you not cash it in, unless they have some policy against it, which I very much doubt.

3)Does not matter in the slightest. The grade you got today, which you are not cashing in, remains no matter what. Say you did AQA English Lit, then next year did Edexcel English Lit and got a lower score than your AQA English Lit mark, you decline the Edexcel mark (banishing that mark to hell where it belongs!) and get that AQA mark cashed in (certificated).
Reply 10
2) call them ASAP. My school didn't actually certificate our modules until the und of year 13. I never had AS 'grades', just UMS marks.

3)then it's like taking a totally different exam i think, and your current marks will stand in addition to your 'new course' unless you decline them.
Ok erm, my college (I THINK it's the same specification, praying its not the modular one) does the modern novel as the coursework rather than shakespeare (which I did). Is there a way I can submit the mark I got in this exam (the 90/90) as the coursework component in this repeat AS?
Reply 12
Ok erm, my college (I THINK it's the same specification, praying its not the modular one) does the modern novel as the coursework rather than shakespeare (which I did). Is there a way I can submit the mark I got in this exam (the 90/90) as the coursework component in this repeat AS?

Possibly. I think you would have to discuss that with your school, as one exam board may not allow it, and another would.
Reply 13
I think you can resubmit coursework that is upto 2 years old. (i am not sure about english lit, but this applies for chemistry assessed practical marks)

just read through your specification for more details.
visesh
I think you can resubmit coursework that is upto 2 years old. (i am not sure about english lit, but this applies for chemistry assessed practical marks)

just read through your specification for more details.

even if its pulled out of a previous exam and uncertified? (i.e., i would practically be submitting "UMS marks" ?
Oh er, the book I did as my modern novel --- this is the last year on the syllabus so it wont be on in september, can I still submit it?
Anyone know? I could do with knowing pretty fast I need to make a lot of phone calls tomorrow

Latest