The Student Room Group

How rare is achieving the 3 bonus points?

Just as the title says.... if you wouldn't mind sharing your opinions?

I have a presentation worth 17 points, and an apparently 'sophisticated/strong' tok essay (marked by a teacher who I'm not sure knows that much about grading... I could be wrong though)

And I'm not sure about my EE....

All in all, I'm just wondering, what are your past experiences of the 3 big bonus points???

Quote and reply (cheers) :p: :p:

x
Reply 1
I was given maximum marks for my presentation and was given positive comments for my ToK and Extended essays. I got 2 bonus points :smile:

Some people do get 3 but don't be disappointed if you only get 1 or 2.
grape:)
Just as the title says.... if you wouldn't mind sharing your opinions?

I have a presentation worth 17 points, and an apparently 'sophisticated/strong' tok essay (marked by a teacher who I'm not sure knows that much about grading... I could be wrong though)

And I'm not sure about my EE....

All in all, I'm just wondering, what are your past experiences of the 3 big bonus points???

Quote and reply (cheers) :p: :p:

x

With this expect a 2, possibly a 3. From vague memory, about <20% of students achieve three points. (I also know people who were predicted 3 and received 1 or 0).

:smile:
As my teachers said, "Even Einstein couldn't achieve the three bonus points."

Well, there you go. 20% or less sounds about right, like Ragnar said.
Reply 4
ragnar_jonsson
With this expect a 2, possibly a 3. From vague memory, about <20% of students achieve three points. (I also know people who were predicted 3 and received 1 or 0).

Thanks for the reply,

all so vague, but I guess I can't depend on them then :smile:
grape:)
Thanks for the reply,

all so vague, but I guess I can't depend on them then :smile:

The problem is two of the three "core" assessed components (Presentation, TOK Essay & EE) are externally assessed, and the criteria are somewhat ambiguous and perhaps difficult to work with. Also, teachers may be unconsciously favoring students that are doing well (I believe this happened with my TOK teacher) in the class, but didn't have perhaps great essays.

:/ I'd be happy with 2, ecstatic with 3! (don't expect too much)
Reply 6
ragnar_jonsson
The problem is two of the three "core" assessed components (Presentation, TOK Essay & EE) are externally assessed, and the criteria are somewhat ambiguous and perhaps difficult to work with. Also, teachers may be unconsciously favoring students that are doing well (I believe this happened with my TOK teacher) in the class, but didn't have perhaps great essays.

:/ I'd be happy with 2, ecstatic with 3! (don't expect too much)

Cheers :smile: I think I get what you mean about the teachers/mark scheme :yep:
My teachers tell us it's ridiculously difficult, but I really don't think it's that hard. :/ But I guess we'll see when I get my marks back.

My TOK presentation was a 20/20. We spent a loooong time on it, but only because we really enjoyed the discussion and the topic. I know others who didn't spend very long on it and got 20/20 as well. So that means I only need ~30/40 on the essay to get an A in TOK. I wrote the first draft of my TOK essay at 3 am. It was total crap, and I got 26/40... I couldn't believe it. I proofread it (didn't change concepts, just reworded it to make it more clear), and got 37 or 38, I can't remember which. :/ It's not like I was the only person with that mark, either - a ton of people in my class got 35+. A friend of mine is predicted 60/60 in TOK. But I don't know, maybe my school is just good at doing TOK.

The EE, on the other hand, I think is pretty tough to do well on. I spent probably 300+ hours on it, and got 30/36 (History), just baaaarely scraping an A (and expect to be marked down to a B). My entire class did their EEs in History, and only 1 other person got a predicted A on theirs. :/ Whereas on the History IA (which is done the exact same way with my teacher, just shorter), probably 10+ people got marked in the 7 range.

But at the end of the day, even an A/B gets you 3 bonus points. To be completely honest, I'll be surprised if I get 2.
just a quick question - the min points required to pass IB is 24, does that count the Bonus points? I mean if someone got 22 but 3 bonus points making him/her 25, do they pass? Or must the 24 points be from the subjects only?
It was a bit of a lottery at our school as we received practically no guidance for ToK. Plenty of people got 3s, but lot's (including myself) got 1s as well. With proper teaching and (at least some) guidance a 2 should be easily achievable.

EDIT: Yes those 24 need to be from subjects.
Reply 10
I don't think it's that hard, I got 3 bonus points. My friend and I totally screwed up our TOK presentation... I did put effort into my TOK and extended essay though, and my EE was quite original, so that's very important! Quite a few of my friends got 3 points. It also depends on the examiner, so take whatever the teachers say with a pinch of salt - your essay could be brilliant! We had the world's worst TOK teacher... my school actually developed the IB so you think we'd have someone that knew their stuff, but sadly he was an idiot. He told me that that I would get a C "at most", and I got an A. Finding good examples to reinforce your arguments will get you top marks! But honestly, just revise revise revise for your other subjects, as the grades you get in those are what will get you into university - you could potentially get 42 points without any bonus points, so don't worry too much :smile:
Reply 11
fika
I don't think it's that hard, I got 3 bonus points. My friend and I totally screwed up our TOK presentation... I did put effort into my TOK and extended essay though, and my EE was quite original, so that's very important! Quite a few of my friends got 3 points. It also depends on the examiner, so take whatever the teachers say with a pinch of salt - your essay could be brilliant! We had the world's worst TOK teacher... my school actually developed the IB so you think we'd have someone that knew their stuff, but sadly he was an idiot. He told me that that I would get a C "at most", and I got an A. Finding good examples to reinforce your arguments will get you top marks! But honestly, just revise revise revise for your other subjects, as the grades you get in those are what will get you into university - you could potentially get 42 points without any bonus points, so don't worry too much :smile:

I'm pretty sure that in this case though, you won't get a diploma...! :p:

EDIT: No, that's a lie...oops...:

http://www.amyscott.com/tok_matrix.htm
Reply 12
I'm predicted a B for TOK and an A for my Geo EE ... however, I'm counting on getting 2 bonus points. I kind of need to get 2 bonus points otherwise I'm not sure I'll meet my offer ...

My friend last year got 42 in all his subjects, was predicted 3 bonus points, but only ended up with 2. I think the prediction of bonus points is really hard to make, so do your best and - well - hope for the best :wink:
Reply 13
ragnar_jonsson

The statistic is irrelevant. It's actually relative...considering that IB scores normally span from low 20s to high 30s. Here's something a little more meaningful:
from what I hear, 70-80% people who get above a 40 get 3s. Our TOK teacher claims that he has only had one person that got above a 40 but didn't get a 3...and that was when the girl got a C on her extended essay. So if you think you (the thread started) will get above a 40, and don't seriously mess up either TOK or EE (which you obviously haven't), you are pretty much guaranteed a 3.

fakeplastictrees
My teachers tell us it's ridiculously difficult, but I really don't think it's that hard. :/ But I guess we'll see when I get my marks back.

My TOK presentation was a 20/20. We spent a loooong time on it, but only because we really enjoyed the discussion and the topic. I know others who didn't spend very long on it and got 20/20 as well. So that means I only need ~30/40 on the essay to get an A in TOK. I wrote the first draft of my TOK essay at 3 am. It was total crap, and I got 26/40... I couldn't believe it. I proofread it (didn't change concepts, just reworded it to make it more clear), and got 37 or 38, I can't remember which. :/ It's not like I was the only person with that mark, either - a ton of people in my class got 35+. A friend of mine is predicted 60/60 in TOK. But I don't know, maybe my school is just good at doing TOK.

The EE, on the other hand, I think is pretty tough to do well on. I spent probably 300+ hours on it, and got 30/36 (History), just baaaarely scraping an A (and expect to be marked down to a B). My entire class did their EEs in History, and only 1 other person got a predicted A on theirs. :/ Whereas on the History IA (which is done the exact same way with my teacher, just shorter), probably 10+ people got marked in the 7 range.

But at the end of the day, even an A/B gets you 3 bonus points. To be completely honest, I'll be surprised if I get 2.

Sorry to break it to you but IB rarely gives "10s" on the TOK rubric. The highest score you can get is a 36 unless you've been writing books. My TOK teacher is a moderator so I'm telling you this from his experience.
Wicketer
Sorry to break it to you but IB rarely gives "10s" on the TOK rubric. The highest score you can get is a 36 unless you've been writing books. My TOK teacher is a moderator so I'm telling you this from his experience.
Really? Sucks to hear. We did some practice-marking of sample essays and stuff, and my teacher seemed really accurate with his marks. Plus he's been teaching it for many years. But a moderator's word is more accurate I suppose!
I got 29 IB Points, but 3 bonus points, I did get a second (teacher) opinion on my ToK essay before submitting it and made sure I read through all the EE guidlines and ticked all the boxes :smile:

Edit: A for EE, B for ToK
Reply 16
I managed to get 3 points.

What you need to do is try and maximise what you get on your oral presentation and EE. The TOK essay is so subjective with such vague requirements - you're probably better off doing a couple of drafts and spending the rest of your time perfecting your EE.

Latest