The Student Room Group

What jobs can a 16 year old get?

Hi, I'm Amy, and I turned 16 today. My parents have told me that I now have to get a job. I live in Glasgow, and for the past few months I've been researching jobs that a 16 year old girl could do. I'm interested in Media, and have been for a few years now, and I'm also interested in computers and technology, and I'm pretty good with computers too. I'm hoping to study Film at college or uni, and I really hope to have a career in Film/Journalism when I'm an adult. I've been thinking of emailing a radio station that's like 10 seconds away from my house, to find out if they have any jobs, but my parents don't think that I'll be able to find any jobs there. The BBC don't seem to accept 16 year olds, so that's out of the picture too. There's a shopping centre near my house, and I went on its website to see if there was any jobs available, but no luck there. I would like to maybe work in a clothes shop or a book shop, if I could. I'm currently studying for my Standard Grade exams, which are at the end of the month, and I'm hoping to obtain Credit in English, History and Admin.
What sort of job could I get, and how could I go about trying to get that job? And in case you're wondering, I have my National Insurance Number.
Thanks,
Amy. :smile:
You could pretty much get any retail job. Just go into the shops and ask a member of staff if they know if there are any vacancies at the moment, and you may get a few application forms. Take some CV's with you as well.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Shops and supermarkets really - a lot of companies dont employ 16 year olds. It is unlikely you will get a job in an area you like (such as computers or whatever), simply because there are more qualified over-18s out there.

However, local shops are good. I got a job at a local computer shop when I was 16, I just did stuff like install more ram and build computers from parts until customers came in, then I gave them advice and sold them stuff.

But really shops is the main thing - whether it is a supermarket or a shop you actually like depends on how much you look etc.
You probably won't be able to get an actual paid job straight away in journalism but you could always do some unpaid work experience which - if you study journalism or maybe media studies at college and/or uni - help you find paid work in the future. If it's a matter of wanting money though, why not just get a normal job in a shop or cafe or something? :shrug:
Reply 4
i am 16 and i work at a shop and i love it, the process wasn't hard either, just look around i'm sure you will find somewhere :smile:
Reply 5
**** shoveler/skivy.
Waitress/Retail/Supermarket is your best bet for a paid job atm.
I'd apply to your local radio station for unpaid work ex for a week or two; they're more likely to take you up on that offer rather than a paid job, and as someone said, it will look good when applying to universities.
Reply 7
retail, supermarkets, fast food places, cafes, pubs... I got a job as a cleaner at a local hospital when I was 16 which paid very well.
Reply 8
Retail or waitressing tend to be the most common jobs to do alongside education, I went to the high street and went in every shop to ask if their were any jobs going and eventually found one :yep: just a case of perseverance

As keeps being suggested attempting to get some unpaid work experience at the station would also be a really good idea :smile:
Welcome to the world of retail! Where you will quickly realise that everyone in the world is a moron, that minimum wage is really low and that you are expected to be nice to utter *****.

Enjoy!
Reply 10
You got great ambition, GOOD!!!!! but you have to start of from the bottom, only people who start from the top are people who digg holes/trenches.

Nowadays you can only apply for jobs online, go to all the retail shops webistes you can think of, John Lewis,River Island,NEXT,Debenhams,M&S,etc,they advertise their jobs there

but the easiest place to get a job is McDonalds, they usually hire 16 year olds with no experience.

Just start of with any job,even if its rubbish, just to build up your CV
Oh another thing no one has mentioned. You could get a job in a call centre. I knew a few people when I was at school and university that worked part time for catalogue/broadband companies.
Reply 12
Hello my name is Nasra I am 16 years old and I am looking for a job since last month but it's been hard to find it
well go in to a shop and ask them if they have any jobs
Original post by scotty998
well go in to a shop and ask them if they have any jobs

You do realise that this thread is 7 years old.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending