The Student Room Group
Reply 1
what is hard to you. Relative to LSE UCL, not as hard in terms as not as maths intense perhaps. Hard as a subject? yes. You will still do Micro, Macro and econometrics to a similar standard to every other uni so a lot of what you cover will be the same, although at the better uni's they may branch off slightly more or derive things a little more technically. eg 2md year Micro at Hull and at LSE you will both do utility maximisation and have to mathematically find the tangency between a budget constraint and an indifference curve, however at Hull there may well be less emphasis on the maths (in terms of the problem being simpler or perhaps less of the marks thus testing the economic knowledge rather then mathematical ability)
Difference is usually the maths used, I would expect it to still be challenging like any other degree but with less emphasis on maths.
Reply 3
It's all relative. How did you find A-Levels? Also, what subjects did you do?

The theory (micro/macro) is pretty much the same at all universities. As above, the difference is in the quantitative approach, and I can't see those universities being too quantitative. (Cardiff possibly moreso than the others as it's the only one that requires A-Level Maths.)

Also, the major difference will be the level of econometrics covered. (So in that regard I slightly disagree with the poster above.) Often the less quantitative courses, such as those you've listed, won't cover econometrics in matrices, and also you won't learn the underlying statistical theory, so what econometrics you do learn will be just techniques.
Reply 4
.ACS.

The theory (micro/macro) is pretty much the same at all universities. As above, the difference is in the quantitative approach, and I can't see those universities being too quantitative. (Cardiff possibly moreso than the others as it's the only one that requires A-Level Maths.)

Also, the major difference will be the level of econometrics covered. (So in that regard I slightly disagree with the poster above.) Often the less quantitative courses, such as those you've listed, won't cover econometrics in matrices, and also you won't learn the underlying statistical theory, so what econometrics you do learn will be just techniques.

So the higher the uni, the more math-based the course is?

I'm finding A2 Physics very difficult so I guess maths is what I'm most worried about. On the other hand, I'm finding A2 Economics quite easy really. Just a lot to learn, rather than the content itself being challenging.
Reply 5
Shook

I'm finding A2 Physics very difficult so I guess maths is what I'm most worried about. On the other hand, I'm finding A2 Economics quite easy really. Just a lot to learn, rather than the content itself being challenging.

That's pretty much how it is.

The thing I'll say is that A-Level Economics is nothing whatsoever like Economics at university. Whatever university you attend, you'll find Economics is to be less essay-based and more mathematical than A-Level Economics.
Shook

A2 economics is probably not a good representative of university economics, especially the macro sections which are diluted enormously. I wouldn't worry about the maths too much, it wont be something that is absolutely impossible. I'd imagine that it would be more or less calculus, and to be honest after looking at the Cardiff course, there's very little Maths, so there's nothing to be worried about.
Reply 7
Even though it may not be as maths intensive I would expect you would cover the vast majority of stuff done at top 10-15 universities if it is a BSc. The only real difference is probably that you wont be expected to have a great deal of pre-requisite knowledge and they will teach you the basics before throwing you in at the deep end.
You might want to be careful of going to a "lesser uni" and still having as tough a time as the top 10 or top 5, because it's reputation that matters more often than not.

And don't rely on grade requirements to tell you how good a uni is. Last year, Warwick was at AABb/AABB and Durham was at AAA. But Warwick is better than Durham by quite some way.
Reply 9
People should stop worrying about the maths content of economics courses. If you can do differentiation, you can basically do everything if you avoid the optional harder econometrics courses.
Reply 10
sil3nt_cha0s
You might want to be careful of going to a "lesser uni" and still having as tough a time as the top 10 or top 5, because it's reputation that matters more often than not.

And don't rely on grade requirements to tell you how good a uni is. Last year, Warwick was at AABb/AABB and Durham was at AAA. But Warwick is better than Durham by quite some way.

:s-smilie: I don't really understand what you mean?

astudent
People should stop worrying about the maths content of economics courses. If you can do differentiation, you can basically do everything if you avoid the optional harder econometrics courses.

Reply 11
.ACS.

Perhaps it is not so far in depthy but at Hull you do cover matrix algebra
Reply 12
DaddyT
Perhaps it is not so far in depthy but at Hull you do cover matrix algebra

Do they cover just matrix algebra, or econometrics in matrix form? If it's the former, then that's fine (I'd be surprised if they didn't), but if it's the latter, I admit I'll be pleasantly surprised since many universities which are viewed as more quantitative don't.
Reply 13
.ACS.
Do they cover just matrix algebra, or econometrics in matrix form? If it's the former, then that's fine (I'd be surprised if they didn't), but if it's the latter, I admit I'll be pleasantly surprised since many universities which are viewed as more quantitative don't.

Including Cambridge; although they do much more on the practical side.
Reply 14
.ACS.

You will have to excuse my ignorance but is it not an extension of the same thing? Im not too up to date as i didnt actually sit a course with it in i just read the specification!

Latest

Trending

Trending