The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ewan
To be fair you could say that about a large proportion of the universities in the UK xD

good point...
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by edd360
Is Brassick a brothel or something then?

Nah, afraid not, that would be cool tho don't ya think?
Reply 62
Original post by Stalin
As a student there, I can assure you, it's not.

Having lived in Hull for 21 years of my life, I can assure you the main Hull University campus IS in Hull. Just up the road from where I went to school. In Hull. Maybe you are confused because it is on Cottingham Road, but not in Cottingham itself. Unlike some if the student accommodation.
The Hull you will deal with in your uni life is fine. The student housing areas are a tad run down but that have a good amount of amenities at least, and the city is actually pretty decent. The old town is very nice though there's not too much there.

East Hull doesn't seem nice but you'll never have to go there unless you feel like it.
Reply 64
The actual University itself is in-between the city of Hull and a small village called Cottingham, about 3 miles away from the city centre. The majority of 1st year accommodation is in the little village of Cottingham which is very welcoming and student friendly. Yes the city centre has its rough parts but so does every city.
Reply 65
omg this so annoys me. I have spent all my life in hull and its no different to any other major city in the UK. I find local people are friendly on the whole. Its usually people who have never been or blindly believe anything they read that slate it. I think hull uni is great and hate the fact that there is a snobbery about my city. yes it has its issues like anywhere else no more no less. Whoever said its the worse place to live is probably a soft southern journalist with nothing better to do with their time :angry:
It's nicer than Stoke (where I've lived most of my life), lets put it that way. :tongue:
Reply 67
singapore is the safest city...too safe that it is scary to commit a crime.
Reply 68
Can't be bothered reading through all of this but basically. Hull was voted the worst place to live YEARS ago by the southern bias TV Presenters Kirsty and Phil, Middlesbrough then took the crown and the programme was cancelled because there was simply no ethic behind their results but media now use their findings when talking about places HOWEVER since all of that was published Hull has improved massively, millions of pounds has plowed into the city on regeneration projects such as upgrading estates, changing the city centre (Have you seen the new station and St Stephens shopping?) and plenty more.

Hull is full of rich culture and history such as museums, the Marina, The Avenues (Princes and Newland which have boutiques and bars), Old Town (Good for drinking and nice buidings), Plenty of shopping, plenty to do and so on...

Honestly it is a GREAT place to be (I should know i live here) the ONLY downside to Hull is the job situation, it is shocking for jobs (Worst in the UK) but i wouldn't worry about that. The area around the Uni is really nice too and you won't have to experience the bad parts of Hull which aren't even bad, they're just council estates like anywhere really it has its nice areas (Cottingham, Willerby, Hessle, Kingswood, City Centre) Then the not so nice areas.

Its VERY cheap, the people are byfar the nicest you will ever meet and the uni is amazing.

You will also find that the people who slam Hull, have never visited, those that have understand how nice a place it is :smile:

It's full of green spaces which is amazing when it's sunny, and plenty is happening. Hull is in the running for City of Culture 2017 and is hosting the Rugby World Cup 2013 if you didn't know?

It's hosted loads more previously too such as the Round the world Clipper race, Squash World Championships, Speedboats Grand Prix and stuff like that :smile: The Hull Carnival is always good along with the Freedom Festival (Weekend of art, drama and music) and the street sesh down in the old fruit market which is full of local bands and is hosted in renovated old warehouses which is the new upcoming area in Hull with loads of bars and restaurants opening around there :smile:

At this moment i think Hull is one of the best places to be with so much going on and the future looks really good for the city, lots of investment is happening and it will be a booming city in no time!
Reply 69
Just to clarify that even the estates aren't bad, Orchard Park, Bransholme, Bilton Grange they're just your typical estates but i'd say are much nicer than estates in Leeds/Manchester, and they're not all council either people do infact own their houses in them areas and some can be pretty nice.

I live on Kingswood (Inbetween Bransholme and Orchard Park) The number 15 bus from the Uni comes to Kingswood so you'll see it mentioned quite a bit, it's a huge new build estate and its really clean and pleasent to be in, i see quite a lot of Uni students around here because of the retail park with a Cinema, Bowling, a large ASDA and other shops on so you might find yourself around here at somepoint but i wouldn't worry about the estates, you could always go see them to put your heart at rest Bransholme Centre is good for shopping if you fancied going! The only places in Hull you'll be mostly (Unless you get very lost) is The city centre, Princes Avenue, Newland Avenue, Cottingham Road(The Uni), Cottingham and Kingswood.

I also noticed someone mentioned the seaside, Withernsea is a bit run down these days, Hornsea is mainly for old people but Bridlington and Scarborough are both easy to get to and much better to visit. Cleethorpes isn't too far either but i'd avoid that, Skegness is decent for a weekend away too.

Then if you fancied a day shopping you can go to York, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester all in under 2 hours. Then you have the likes of London just a mere 2 and a half hours away on a direct train.
Reply 70
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_0_Hull_4

They certainly have grand aspirations.
Original post by OrmondDrone
It's a good place to be a student - very affordable, plenty going on and a great atmosphere. Just not a great place to grow up in - lots of council estates, social problems, and mediocre schools.

Message is, if you go there, have fun and get a good degree but then leave :smile:

I grew up here, had a good childhood and a good school but i can see that perspective in certain areas of the city but that rule doesn't apply everywhere as Hull has many nice areas to live in.
No its not bad i live here f*ck the internet

Spoiler

Latest