The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies Essays

My teacher advised essay plans of 5/6 points with statistic/fact on all possible essays would be the best way to study, i haven't quite started mine yet though lol
once I have in a few days I will post them here, in the meantime feel free to post your own or tell me whether you think this method of study is useful :smile: :smile:
You helped me so I'll help you :P
What I'm in the middle of doing is making power points on everything that there is to know. But in small chunks such as the Powers of the Prime Minister and involving examples and then recording them. So if you recognise things more by sound or visual then it's easier for you to remember :biggrin:
What themes did you do, I am doing:

S.Africa
USA
UK- social class, voting behavious, voting systems, etc
Scotland-devolvd powers, etc

Does anyone have any official predicitons from teachers about which questions might come up.

For S.Africa, there hasn't really been anything on health/education/crime.

And, how many statistics should I revise?

Do you mean 5/6 for for and against, or 5/6 points for the whole essay?

Also, roughly how long should the essays be for an A?

Tip: Keep referring back to the question! Analyse, analyse, analyse, evidence, evidence..............etc
garlicbreadman
Also, roughly how long should the essays be for an A?

Going quantity, about 3 and half pages roughly of medium handwriting.

But you need to have up to date statistics, well planned essay, worded well, ect.

Tip: The General Election is on May 6th :smile:
Reply 4
My teacher always advised us that 5 single paragraphs with one point each and statistic, recently though she said 6 for the whole essay is you want a good A(1) pass. For time issues maybe do two 6 and two 5 paragraph essays though if time is a problem for you.
I'm doing
1B - not sure but she said make sure you know house of lords/commons incase they try to trip us up
1D -Teacher thinks STV, probably with FPTP or something
3C
3E - UN Agencies
[QUOTE="Livesindreams"]Going quantity, about 3 and half pages roughly of medium handwriting.

But you need to have up to date statistics, well planned essay, worded well, ect.

Tip: The General Election is on May 6th :smile:[/QUOTE

You and claire seem to be contradicting each other slightly, 3.5 pages roughly you say and Claire says 5/6 paragraphs with one point in each.

If you have 5/6 paragraphs with one points/statistic, etc, surely it will only take up a maximum of 2.5 pages.

3.5 is the average for English essays surely.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
[QUOTE="garlicbreadman"]
Livesindreams
Going quantity, about 3 and half pages roughly of medium handwriting.

Tip: The General Election is on May 6th :smile:[/QUOTE

You and claire seem to be contradicting each other slightly, 3.5 pages roughly you say and Claire says 5/6 paragraphs with one point in each.

If you have 5/6 paragraphs with one points/statistic, etc, surely it will only take up a maximum of 2.5 pages.

WAIT! I'm counting single pages what about you? (sometimes people do it in double pages.)

It really does depend on the size of your own hand writing. You probably write with it being about 2.5 :smile: I'm thinking that may hand was really sore during the prelim and my handwriting was bigger than normal.
garlicbreadman

Sorry I think I just quoted myself.
[QUOTE="Livesindreams"]
garlicbreadman

It really does depend on the size of your own hand writing. You probably write with it being about 2.5 :smile: I'm thinking that may hand was really sore during the prelim and my handwriting was bigger than normal.

I honestly think 2 pages is good enough to get an A mark, but remember, it is quality, not quantity, and as long as you have a minimum of 2 pages, I am sure you will be fine (considering the quality of course)

Here is the 2008 guide from Sunday Herald, Modern Studies is lower down!

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/Images/ModernStudies_tcm4-477831.pdf

Latest

Trending

Trending