The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A lot of GCSEs have the option of cw ... it depends whether you opt for it or not.
Reply 2
RS doesn't. Well not on Edexcel anyway.
eh? Science does. In fact I did coursework for everything except maths.
Presuming you're choosing GCSE's shouldn't you be asking your teachers? They would know.
Lollyage
RS doesn't. Well not on Edexcel anyway.

It does for us :s-smilie:
Reply 5
manic_fuzz
It does for us :s-smilie:

Oh.
I think it's optional actually. Our school opted not to do it.
Reply 6
When I did OCR shortcourse RE it didn't, I presume longcourse wouldn't aswell?

I've heard that they're gonna scrap courseworks and replace them with 'controlled assessments' to cut down on cheating/people using the internet for everything
Reply 7
italienmoose
eh? Science does. In fact I did coursework for everything except maths.
Presuming you're choosing GCSE's shouldn't you be asking your teachers? They would know.

IIRC I even did coursework for maths :frown:
Although at the time I liked that; I used to be better at coursework than exams, that has changed dramatically now...
Reply 8
I didn't do any for my Drama GCSE, we had to keep a diary but all of the assessments were practical as far as i can remember. I don't even think we had a written exam, they just videoed our assessed performances so they could be sent off for second marking. It does depend on the exam board though, i can't remember which board we used as it's been 12 years since i did my GCSE. I also did Expressive Arts (Dance Drama) and we didn't do any essays for that either, we just had to produce a scrap book with stuff in about what had inspired our dance etc, notes, pictures etc.
Reply 9
errrmmm...
R.E. Edexcel (most boring course known to man, Unit J is a *****)
Maths

thats it :|
Reply 10
Languages?
i dont have coursework in maths, science, RE,
and none of the a levels im doing (economics, geography, maths, politics) have cw either!!
Reply 12
Maths and RE at my school.
Circularmover

Don't be too quick to hate coursework. My advice to people is to actively pick subjects with a significantly large percentage of coursework.

In exams, anything can happen. You could get mainly questions on your worst topic, you could fall apart under the pressure (that exam fog descends and you get in a panic and make stupid mistakes). I'm not saying you will, I don't know you at all so I can't really judge if you're the sort of person who really freaks out about exams. Even if you're not, we can all agree that sometimes you just have a bad day and no matter how prepared you were, the exam goes badly.

Coursework is the answer to this! For example, at my school there was the option to do Food Technology, which is either 66% or 75% (I forget) coursework. This means all the students went into the written exam with a C grade before they'd even written their names on the exam paper.

Coursework may sound stressful (and it is at times), but it's so much better! You get time to plan, think, be creative. As long as you focus, it is relatively easy to get really good marks, which then sets you up nicely for the exam. It's a very reassuring feeling to walk into an exam hall and know that you have passed your GCSE before you've even seen the questions.

Coursework is brilliant, and speaking as an A2 student with absolutely no coursework at all, you will really miss it when it's gone.

(BTW, my argument here is not that coursework allows you to slack off - if you want to get B-A* grades, you'll still need to do well on your exams.)

But to answer your question, Languages don't have coursework (they just have lots of different exams), my Maths did have coursework, Science doesn't. It really varies from exam board to exam board - find out what board you will use and look on their website (or just go and ask your teachers).
southpaw.24
Don't be too quick to hate coursework. My advice to people is to actively pick subjects with a significantly large percentage of coursework.

In exams, anything can happen. You could get mainly questions on your worst topic, you could fall apart under the pressure (that exam fog descends and you get in a panic and make stupid mistakes). I'm not saying you will, I don't know you at all so I can't really judge if you're the sort of person who really freaks out about exams. Even if you're not, we can all agree that sometimes you just have a bad day and no matter how prepared you were, the exam goes badly.

Coursework is the answer to this! For example, at my school there was the option to do Food Technology, which is either 66% or 75% (I forget) coursework. This means all the students went into the written exam with a C grade before they'd even written their names on the exam paper.

Coursework may sound stressful (and it is at times), but it's so much better! You get time to plan, think, be creative. As long as you focus, it is relatively easy to get really good marks, which then sets you up nicely for the exam. It's a very reassuring feeling to walk into an exam hall and know that you have passed your GCSE before you've even seen the questions.

Coursework is brilliant, and speaking as an A2 student with absolutely no coursework at all, you will really miss it when it's gone.

(BTW, my argument here is not that coursework allows you to slack off - if you want to get B-A* grades, you'll still need to do well on your exams.)

But to answer your question, Languages don't have coursework (they just have lots of different exams), my Maths did have coursework, Science doesn't. It really varies from exam board to exam board - find out what board you will use and look on their website (or just go and ask your teachers).
Good post. However, the OP was actually asking which subjects/exam boards don't ask for coursework in their qualification; not why they should do coursework?
OP you will find that almost every GCSE has an element of coursework or internal examination. Certain subjects used to offer non coursework units such as Maths and History. However, the general consensus with schools is that you should do coursework as it could mean an easy 'good' grade for that module and one less exam to deal with.
IGCSEs (International GCSEs) through the CIE exam board have been known not to have coursework at all though in many subjects.
Most have coursework I believe. If you really hate it then avoid vocational/BTEC/applied subjects; they often have a much higher coursework percentage.

For me, these were my coursework subjects: History (2 pieces), French (3 written pieces), Business Studies (1 very large piece), Music (2 compositions, 2 performances), Triple Science (3 pieces) and English (4 pieces). Also IT Short Course (2 large pieces, no exam) if that counts.

That's 19, including performances and IT.

Basically, the only subject I didn't have coursework in was Maths. Sorry, it's impossible to avoid.
Stricof
Good post. However, the OP was actually asking which subjects/exam boards don't ask for coursework in their qualification; not why they should do coursework?

I got the impression from the way the question was phrased that (sorry, I've forgotten the name of the thread-starter) the person was looking to choose GCSEs that did not have coursework.
English has coursework :s-smilie:

Loads of it when I did it.

All my GCSEs had coursework!
Reply 19
You're best off asking a teacher.. a lot of people on here will have already done their GCSEs, and things have changed loads in the last few years, with lots of cuts in coursework.

I did mine two years ago and we were the last year group to do maths coursework. As others have said though, depends on the exam board and whether your teachers opts to do it. We did coursework in French, but there was an option to do a written exam instead of that (an option for the teacher). Ask!

Latest