Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaTara)
    Hey!
    Does anyone know which non british medical schools are GMC recognised. I emailed them but didn't get a helpful response tbh! I just want to know, as I want to leave the UK for Uni, as I need a break from here :P but will probably come back later on in life, so want to be able to practice here.
    Thanks in advance
    Carol Davila med school in Bucharest
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been able to information on the universities that will disregard my Medicine application if I do not achieve all As at AS. I do know Birmingham is one .

Anybody know more than I do on the matter (note very hard) and willing to help? Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most of them..if not all :/.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QTpie118)
    I haven't been able to information on the universities that will disregard my Medicine application if I do not achieve all As at AS. I do know Birmingham is one .

Anybody know more than I do on the matter (note very hard) and willing to help? Thanks.
    Have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements, although some of the information may be outdated

Bear in mind, that most places don't even look at your AS levels, rather your A Level predictions / GCSEs.

I'd avoid Oxbridge too, just to be safe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My friend got AAAB at AS and got 3 offers for Medicine, it's not the be-all and end-all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fcuk!)
    Most of them..if not all :/.
    Actually, it's very few. Birmingham and Cambridge want 4A's, one or two others might too; just read the entry requirements carefully before applying.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most unis look at A level predictions but can look at As if they want to. I know that Kings would allow 1/2 Bs at As and there will be others. You should remember that for Medicine its also about the admissions test, so if you lack in As grades but make up for it in the tests they will still consider you. Also there are unis that have foundation courses that have offers of AAA-CCC. Look around.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeepBreathing)
    My friend got AAAB at AS and got 3 offers for Medicine, it's not the be-all and end-all.
    Ah, that's good! Do you know which universities they are?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements, although some of the information may be outdated

Bear in mind, that most places don't even look at your AS levels, rather your A Level predictions / GCSEs.

I'd avoid Oxbridge too, just to be safe.
    That's quite a useful table, thanks . Yeah, I wasn't planning on applying to either.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    -

(Original post by Elles)
    -

Hey, one thing I wanted to know was what do doctors wear nowadays?

(I can't remember the last time I went to a hospital )

I know that surgeons have to wear scrubs

but for other things do they wear a suit? or just a polo shirt and trousers? (I know that ties are forbidden and clothes with long sleeves?)

or do they wear scrubs as well?

Or even a white coat ?
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IgorYakov)
    Hey, one thing I wanted to know was what do doctors wear nowadays?

(I can't remember the last time I went to a hospital )

I know that surgeons have to wear scrubs

but for other things do they wear a suit? or just a polo shirt and trousers? (I know that ties are forbidden and clothes with long sleeves?)

or do they wear scrubs as well?

Or even a white coat ?
    White coats are no longer seen in UK hospitals, in general.

Scrubs are mainly for theatre, ITU, labour ward and A&E. Sometimes surgeons will also wear them on the wards but it's not essential - in some hospitals you are not allowed to wear scrubs outside designated areas. For normal ward work, men will usually wear smart trousers and a shirt with sleeves rolled up - not a polo shirt. Women have more flexibility, but practical smart workwear is the norm.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which universities do genetics for intercalculation?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperFantasticB)
    Does anyone know which universities do genetics for intercalculation?intercalation?
    This website should tell you. It's possible to transfer to another university for your year of intercalation though, so you don't have to base you application options on the range of intercalated degrees available.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d_ahmed)
    Carol Davila med school in Bucharest
    thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to become a doctor but I need to know my realistic chances of getting into a med school in the UK. I have just done my IGCSES and I have been predicted mostly As and at most 5 or 6 A*s. For AS Level I plan to do Chemistry,Biology,German and Music and for A2 I will do Chemistry, Biology and German. I am worried because this means I am not doing Physics or Maths for A Level and does this mean I don't stand a chance? I really want to be a doctor and I just need to know how likely it is I will get into a Med School. Thank you
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have a brother who works in pathology. He told me the medical schools value physics A level over everything else, and biology A level is pretty irrelevant.
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocobowman)
    I want to become a doctor but I need to know my realistic chances of getting into a med school in the UK. I have just done my IGCSES and I have been predicted mostly As and at most 5 or 6 A*s. For AS Level I plan to do Chemistry,Biology,German and Music and for A2 I will do Chemistry, Biology and German. I am worried because this means I am not doing Physics or Maths for A Level and does this mean I don't stand a chance? I really want to be a doctor and I just need to know how likely it is I will get into a Med School. Thank you
    You don't need physics or maths to get into med school in the UK.

(Original post by Wirral)
    I have a brother who works in pathology. He told me the medical schools value physics A level over everything else, and biology A level is pretty irrelevant.
    That's nonsense.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocobowman)
    If you have Chemistry + Biology at A2 and one other subject (except Gen Studies and Critical Thinking) you are eligible for every UK medical school.

Here is a summary of all the A-level requirements, and you can see the "common questions" section in the bottom regarding maths/physics. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

Your combination of A-Levels of Chem, Bio, German at A2 will be sufficient for medical admissions.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wirral)
    Ignore this ^^^
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would like to become a doctor in the hear future and Iwas w onder how hard it is to obtain the right qualifications. I am doing 9 GCSE's and I could be 3A's,5B's and 1c. The university I would like to go to is Peninsula in Plymouth as I live there and it says I need at least AAA at GCE A level which must include Chemistry and either Biology or Physics and a fourth subject must be achieved at a minimum of grade c as AS level, so i was wondering how hard is it to get 3As at alevel and what is the chance of me getting into medical school, as I toke part in cadets for over 2 years, a few years of fighting and had a part time job for over a year. Also how hard would medical school be and how many hours of work will I need to put in after university hours?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 11, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.