The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Depends on GCSEs/AS levels/work XP
Is it true kings college london don't require BMAT?
Original post by asadinamakbar
what are the chances of getting into Imperial college London?

Have you tried looking at their admissions policy?:curious:
what are the chances of getting into Imperial college London?

How long is a piece of string?

a simple google search would have given your answer

the answer is NO ..
Not 100% sure on these things but here's what I know (I think!):

Sheffield want a very strong personal statement - not sure how they view UKCAT.
Nottingam say that roughly 25% of their "do we interview them" decision on GCSEs and the other 75% on UKCAT, so a good UKCAT makes up for not great GCSEs and vice versa. They dismiss anyone who gets Band 4 for their SJT straight away.
Bristol don't look at any aptitude tests and base a lot of their decision about inviting you to interview on personal statement, so you need a good one for them.
Cardiff look at a range of things, but if you get to interview then you really need to know your personal statement well. They don't look at UKCAT very much but they use it to differentiate between very similar candidates when deciding who they interview.
Birmingham is similar to Bristol in that they don't look at aptitude tests (although this is changing soon I think), but the personal statement is just part of what they look at - you need very good GCSEs (a good few A*s, some in specific subjects) and 4As at AS level.
Kings College London want a very good UKCAT score - I think 710 is what they want this year - and like good GCSEs. Not sure about how much they look at personal statements.

That's most of what I know - I'm not sure about other unis, this is what I know from going on a hell of a lot of open days and from my friends. Hope it helps!

Original post by Paras Agarwal
a simple google search would have given your answer

the answer is NO ..

"NO" here meaning YES it is true that NO they don't require BMAT :smile:
Your university application depends on range of things:
Work experience
Interview
AS results
A2 Predictions
Reference from teachers
Personal statement
Pre entry exam, e.g. bmat, ukcat..

Different universities treat each with a different weighting, its not possible to know what they want as they change their minds almost everyyear. Your best off putting all your effort into what i mentioned above
Reply 4708
Hey,
I just finished the IGCSEs and will be doing IB next year. What are some good resources to look at, if any, on medical universities in the UK? As in requirements, and perhaps even reviews.

EDIT:
Original post by Shakir786
Your university application depends on range of things:
Work experience
Interview
AS results
A2 Predictions
Reference from teachers
Personal statement
Pre entry exam, e.g. bmat, ukcat..

Different universities treat each with a different weighting, its not possible to know what they want as they change their minds almost everyyear. Your best off putting all your effort into what i mentioned above

What do you mean by work experience; as in what does it entail?

EDIT 2: If you want to apply to Oxford and/or Cambridge, do you need to do both a BMAT and a UKCAT test?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Atham
Hey,
I just finished the IGCSEs and will be doing IB next year. What are some good resources to look at, if any, on medical universities in the UK? As in requirements, and perhaps even reviews.

EDIT:

EDIT 2: If you want to apply to Oxford and/or Cambridge, do you need to do both a BMAT and a UKCAT test?

Depends where else you want yo apply and you can only apply to either oxford or cambridge not both

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4710
Original post by em.d_4
Depends where else you want yo apply and you can only apply to either oxford or cambridge not both

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I did not know that. I read that Oxford uses both UKCAT and BMAT, but are both required, or is it either or
Original post by Atham
Hey,

EDIT:

Work experience is pretty much what it says on the tin - experience of the job that you want to do. In the case of medicine, this is generally done through shadowing as its obviously unethical to allow you to do their work!

Try to get as broad a range as possible. Go to a care home, city hospital, coroners, cottage hospital, GP and maybe even a hospital lab to get a feel for the environments and how doctors are part of a TEAM. Then you can show (either in ps or interview) how you want to be a doctor rather than nurse/HCA/radiologist.

Obviously not all of that is necessary, but the broader experience you have the more certain you can be that this is what you want to pursue.
Reply 4712
Original post by lamyers1
Work experience is pretty much what it says on the tin - experience of the job that you want to do. In the case of medicine, this is generally done through shadowing as its obviously unethical to allow you to do their work!

Try to get as broad a range as possible. Go to a care home, city hospital, coroners, cottage hospital, GP and maybe even a hospital lab to get a feel for the environments and how doctors are part of a TEAM. Then you can show (either in ps or interview) how you want to be a doctor rather than nurse/HCA/radiologist.

Obviously not all of that is necessary, but the broader experience you have the more certain you can be that this is what you want to pursue.

I have been working at a research institute in food technologies; learning to do some lab work, some microbiology and molecular biology basics.

I have also recently started working with DePaul in my country at one of their shelters for the homeless. I am pending a vaccination, and then I will be ready to work with them as part of CAS in IB in the school year.

Would that fall into the category when trying to apply for medicine, and to become a doctor?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Atham
I have been working at a research institute in food technologies; learning to do some lab work, some microbiology and molecular biology basics.

I have also recently started working with DePaul in my country at one of their shelters for the homeless. I am pending a vaccination, and then I will be ready to work with them as part of CAS in IB in the school year.

Would that fall into the category when trying to apply for medicine, and to become a doctor?

It does. Most people do a week or 2 t these places

pharmacy

carehome

gp

hospital

Original post by Atham

Yes in a way, but if you can then i would try to get to shadow a nurse/doctor as it gives you an insight into the job itself. Its not required, but would give you an edge.

Look on the GMC website as it gives qualities they expect doctors to have. You need to show in your Ps and interview that you have these so if your volunteerring and work do this then you're good. :smile:
Reply 4715
So a rotation of more work places is better than working in fewer places, but for longer?

EDIT: I see. There is a clinic that helps the homeless and the socially weak in my country. There are no doctors there, but medics who are studying to become doctors, usually there to just get some work experience. Would that be a good idea too?

EDIT 2: I didn't see the post before. There is a nurse that helps the people at the shelter. Watching what she does would be better than interacting with the "clients" of the shelter.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Atham
Oh, I did not know that. I read that Oxford uses both UKCAT and BMAT, but are both required, or is it either or

No oxford only uses BMAT, but many others use UKCAT
Reply 4717
@above
Thanks for clearing that up. :smile:
So my application for this year is pretty rubbish as I only recently decided that I want to do medicine. I'm pretty sure that I won't get in, so would there be any point in me applying this year? And do universities look at your application unfavourably if you didn't apply for med (or anything) in your first year?
Original post by nigelh456
So my application for this year is pretty rubbish as I only recently decided that I want to do medicine. I'm pretty sure that I won't get in, so would there be any point in me applying this year? And do universities look at your application unfavourably if you didn't apply for med (or anything) in your first year?

Just apply next year. They'll treat your application the same way as all the others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending