The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nigelh456
So my application for this year is pretty rubbish as I only recently decided that I want to do medicine. I'm pretty sure that I won't get in, so would there be any point in me applying this year? And do universities look at your application unfavourably if you didn't apply for med (or anything) in your first year?

There's definitely a point in applying - who knows, you may at least get an interview?! But it will also give you a chance to get feedback from the unis about your application, which will help you make it stronger next year.

Unis wont discriminate because you haven't applied first time. Just try to get as much experience as you can to make sure its 100% what you want to do and be able to show that to the unis when you apply. :smile:
I have a question about Edinburgh uni:
I read on the website that Edinburgh participates in the Scottish Foundation Allocation Scheme - does this mean if I study there I can't do my foundation years in England afterwards? I thought I had heard previously that the system was across whole of the UK. If this is the case and the foundation years have to be done in Scotland, can you then apply for specialty training elsewhere in the UK?
Really appreciate any help!
Original post by lilixxx1000
I have a question about Edinburgh uni:
I read on the website that Edinburgh participates in the Scottish Foundation Allocation Scheme - does this mean if I study there I can't do my foundation years in England afterwards? I thought I had heard previously that the system was across whole of the UK. If this is the case and the foundation years have to be done in Scotland, can you then apply for specialty training elsewhere in the UK?
Really appreciate any help!

The allocation of Junior Doctors after Medical school is managed by different "deanerys" and there is one for the each part of the country. Students in scotland can still apply to do their Foundation training in England, Northern Ireland and Wales if they want.

I think the Scottish Allocation Scheme, is simply the name of the deanery that you apply to if you want to be a FY1 in Scotland. :biggrin:
Original post by .S.K.T.
The allocation of Junior Doctors after Medical school is managed by different "deanerys" and there is one for the each part of the country. Students in scotland can still apply to do their Foundation training in England, Northern Ireland and Wales if they want.

I think the Scottish Allocation Scheme, is simply the name of the deanery that you apply to if you want to be a FY1 in Scotland. :biggrin:

Thank you!! :smile:
Original post by vickie89uk
Thank you. Sorry if i was wrong i felt i was being bullied hence my retaliation. Thank you for the help you provide many occassions you have advised me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

I was wondering if someone can tell me what the tests are that needed for medical school admissions. I can't remember what it's called
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by auntumn89
Hi

I was wondering if someone can tell me what the tests are that needed for medical school admissions. I can't remember what it's called
Posted from TSR Mobile

There are two BMAT and UKCAT different Universities vary on which one they want you to do but you can certainly do both. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are two BMAT and UKCAT different Universities vary on which one they want you to do but you can certainly do both. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you

Yeah it was the BMAT as I'm applying to Bristol Imperial not sure on my other choices yet. As I am waiting for the my results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you

Yeah it was the BMAT as I'm applying to Bristol Imperial not sure on my other choices yet. As I am waiting for the my results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

BMAT univerisities:
University of Cambridge*
Imperial College London
University of Oxford Medical School
Royal Veterinary College*
University College London
New! Leeds' School of Medicine
New! Brighton & Sussex Medical School (Graduate entry)
Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (Singapore)
* BMAT required for veterinary medicine applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

UKCAT university
University
UCAS Course Code
University of Aberdeen
A100, A201
Cardiff University
A100, A101, A104, A200, A204
University of Central Lancashire
8J68
University of Dundee
A100, A104, A200, A204
Durham University
A100
University of East Anglia
A100, A104
University of Edinburgh
A100
University of Exeter
A100
University of Glasgow
A100, A200
Hull York Medical School
A100
Keele University
A100, A104
King's College London
A100, A101, A102, A202, A205, A206
University of Leicester
A100, A101
University of Manchester
A104, A106, A204, A206
University of Newcastle
A100, A101, A206
University of Nottingham
A100, A108
Plymouth University
A100, A206, B750
Queen Mary, University of London
A100, A101, A200
Queen's University Belfast
A100, A200
University of Sheffield
A100, A104, A200
University of Southampton
A100, A101, A102
University of St Andrews
A100, A990, B900
St George's, University of London
A100, A900
University of Warwick
A101

Posted from TSR Mobile
BMAT univerisities:
University of Cambridge*
Imperial College London
University of Oxford Medical School
Royal Veterinary College*
University College London
New! Leeds' School of Medicine
New! Brighton & Sussex Medical School (Graduate entry)
Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (Singapore)
* BMAT required for veterinary medicine applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are about 30 unis that do medicine. You can check them individually or i found this table i cant rememberr where... somewhere on first page of google after typing in university tests uk.
Hey. I'm looking to study Medicine at uni and I'm currently in Year 11. I just want to know everything there is to know and how best to approach the course. The grades I need for A Level, what you got for GCSE, how it all works exactly. I'm getting my GCSE results next week and hopefully should be on track to get into medicine on the GCSE criteria front. Also, for anyone that is and has done medicine, is experience vital? I mean vital vital? I appreciate all the help and wish everyone the best :smile:
Original post by muhammedk
Hey. I'm looking to study Medicine at uni and I'm currently in Year 11. I just want to know everything there is to know and how best to approach the course. The grades I need for A Level, what you got for GCSE, how it all works exactly. I'm getting my GCSE results next week and hopefully should be on track to get into medicine on the GCSE criteria front. Also, for anyone that is and has done medicine, is experience vital? I mean vital vital? I appreciate all the help and wish everyone the best :smile:

You need AAA minimum. The rest of your questions are quite broad and you'd be better off having a read through the relevant links here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

If you still have questions, by all means feel free to ask and we'll be more than glad to answer them.

Work experience? Yes it's vital - aren't you curious to see what the career you want to get into will involve? :wink:

Most vital thing is to crack on finding work experience and voluntary work in particular. You'll soon find that unless you're lucky enough to have contacts this is as challenging as the damn a levels!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you apply for the universities after your As levels result?
Original post by Earth1
Do you apply for the universities after your As levels result?

Yes.
Original post by Neostigmine
Yes.

Thank you:smile:
Original post by Democracy
You need AAA minimum. The rest of your questions are quite broad and you'd be better off having a read through the relevant links here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

If you still have questions, by all means feel free to ask and we'll be more than glad to answer them.

Work experience? Yes it's vital - aren't you curious to see what the career you want to get into will involve? :wink:

Ah cool, thanks for your response. Yeah ofc, but its so difficult finding experience. I've looked for over a year and still haven't found anything concrete. I'm going into Year 12 next year and most placements base it on whether you're on sixth form or not so hopefully it'll be easier next year.
Original post by em.d_4
Most vital thing is to crack on finding work experience and voluntary work in particular. You'll soon find that unless you're lucky enough to have contacts this is as challenging as the damn a levels!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its definitely as challenging man. I've got literally no contacts who are doctors or the like. Really is difficult. I'm in London too so the opportunities are very competitive.
Its definitely as challenging man. I've got literally no contacts who are doctors or the like. Really is difficult. I'm in London too so the opportunities are very competitive.

Look for less typical places with vulnerable people. Blind societies, elderly care centres, respite centres, anything like that :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending