The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jonnyss
Guys so what should u preferably be doing in ur year 12 summer?
Is a month of Ukcat prep enough?
Also, I need to be starting my personal statement right?

Voluntary work
Taster courses
Summer schools
Personal statement
EPQ
UKCAT prep
BMAT prep
FUN
University open days
Colour runs

All of those things are optional obviously lol except having fun :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jonnyss
Guys so what should u preferably be doing in ur year 12 summer?
Is a month of Ukcat prep enough?
Also, I need to be starting my personal statement right?

A month is more than enough for UKCAT prep.

During your summer, if you havent already, try to organise work experience/voluntary work, etc.

For your personal statement, do a bit by bit each day/week and once you have your first draft, give it to as many people as you can and ask them to critique your personal statement. Remember its quality not quantity - reflect on your experiences, don't just list them. Have a look on medical school websites. Those that use the personal statement for selection sometimes have the qualities they look for in a person on their website.
hey guys, i need advice on which university to go to do medicine, i just finished doing my 5 As ( Biology, Chemistry, Math, Spanish, French), i think im guaranteed an A in all of them, i only have 5A*, A and C at GCSE because i did them in only 4 months, but i have no idea which ones i should go to and need help
I am terrifed that I have blown all chances of becoming a doctor already and im not even in sixth form. Every GCSE exam i have taken has gone horribly, I had plans for at the very best 8 A*'s, and 4 a's but theres not a hope in hell of that happening now :frown: everythings ruined. I've got work experience this whole summer, extra curriculars and volunteer work but with awful gcses' ( like im going to be lucky to get B's now) theres no way thats gonna count for anything.
Original post by Boo_Ayres13
I am terrifed that I have blown all chances of becoming a doctor already and im not even in sixth form. Every GCSE exam i have taken has gone horribly, I had plans for at the very best 8 A*'s, and 4 a's but theres not a hope in hell of that happening now :frown: everythings ruined. I've got work experience this whole summer, extra curriculars and volunteer work but with awful gcses' ( like im going to be lucky to get B's now) theres no way thats gonna count for anything.

Firstly, you don't know what grades you got till you have received them. Secondly, you don't need perfect GCSEs to do medicine: many schools do have a min. number of A*/As but some do not (such as Hull York Medical School). Thirdly, assuming you don't do medicine as your UG degree you could always go in for graduate entry after you have attained a degree.

All is not lost.
Reply 5005
Do you guys agree with the statement "medicine is a closed community, where people who have links can get in easily."
Original post by Guls
Do you guys agree with the statement "medicine is a closed community, where people who have links can get in easily."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Partially. I've heard of people get into medicine getting in because their father etc were prominent ppl in medical career but then again in the majority of instances no
Moved to Medicine, where you're more likely to get an answer :smile:
Reply 5008
Original post by Guls

A few things have made this less the case at med school applicant level. I think there are actually rules in some areas where you cannot do work experience with family members. Other than work experience I'm not sure. But having parents / siblings who are doctors surely gives you a bit of an edge regarding keeping up with medical news, interview practice etc. but not much.

At the getting the job you want level, who you know is important but this goes beyond family. But I suppose having a high-powered and oft-published relative who can slap your name on publications can't hurt....
Moved to Medicine, where you're more likely to get an answer :smile:
Original post by malcolmDR
hey guys, i need advice on which university to go to do medicine, i just finished doing my 5 As ( Biology, Chemistry, Math, Spanish, French), i think im guaranteed an A in all of them, i only have 5A*, A and C at GCSE because i did them in only 4 months, but i have no idea which ones i should go to and need help

You'll be in a better position to decide where to apply after you do your UKCAT and get your AS results.

In terms of GCSEs, have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

You'll need to check on individual websites for each Medical School to make sure the stuff above is still true. However, it should give you an idea of which Medical Schools are an option and which ones you should avoid.
Original post by Grace Hampton
Hi everyone. In the future, I am hoping to go to Oxford and do a medicine course. I have been getting the right grades and I am willing to push myself to the limit as my dream job is to become a GP or anything to do with medicine. However, I am really worried as I don't take part in a massive amount of extra curricular activities. I am worried that even if I get As and A*s and I am not going to get in because of that. I was just wondering if you had to do a lot of extra activities in order to get into a university like Oxford. Please let me know soon. Thank you:smile:

Extra-curricular activities shouldn't be seen as a box to be ticked for your med school application. They're things which you probably do at the moment anyway, simply because you're a person with your own passions and interests. In your personal statement, you should talk about a few of your extra-curriculars, and then reflect on how they'll be helpful once you're hopefully a med student.

So...over to you now. What kind of things are you into?
What activities do you already do?
Good evening all,

I was just wondering when you start applying for medicine, is it the first year of A-levels or the second? And if possible, what months does one apply in? Apologies for my ignorance but my school is not really being of any help and seems to be concentrating on those who are not entirely academic :frown:

Thanks.
Sam
Finished exams a few days ago:smile: bring on summer!:biggrin:

Original post by Guls

It's not closed at all it's just much harder for applicants with no links (like me) to get work experience in hospitals. I know several people who used their links to get experience, one friend watched his dad in surgery for example but I also know several who don't have links and still got in due to determination.
Besides there is an interview where your links can't help you get through that.
Original post by cathasatail
Good evening all,

I was just wondering when you start applying for medicine, is it the first year of A-levels or the second? And if possible, what months does one apply in? Apologies for my ignorance but my school is not really being of any help and seems to be concentrating on those who are not entirely academic :frown:

Thanks.
Sam

The UCAS deadline for medicine is October 15th each year. You apply during year 13.

This is really basic stuff tbh, fair enough if your school isn't being helpful, but you still have google?

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/when-apply
Original post by cathasatail
Good evening all,

Thanks.
Sam

Just to add to what Democracy said - Medicine is a university degree like any other (in this respect, at least). From the way you worded your question, it sounds as though perhaps you're under the impression that there's some special way of applying for Medicine, but, as has been said you just apply through UCAS like you would for any other degree (albeit that Medicine has an earlier deadline).
I am starting Sixth Form in September and am going to be taking at first four subjects; Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Spanish. I, like how most do, will probably be dropping one subject after the first year and only having it as an AS, not a full A Level.

I have heard that Medical schools prefer people to have done Maths. But if I choose Maths as the one that I drop after the first year, will any Medical schools be likely to hold me only having it as an AS against me? If so I will drop Spanish instead.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheEccentric
I am starting Sixth Form in September and am going to be taking at first four subjects; Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Spanish. I, like how most do, will probably dropping one subject after the first year and only having it as an AS, not a full A Level.

I have heard that Medical schools prefer people to have done Maths. But if I choose Maths as the one that I drop after the first year, will any Medical schools be likely to hold me only having it as an AS against me? If so I will drop Spanish instead.

No medical school prefers people to have done Maths.

Edit: Just occurred to me that while it's likely utterly irrelevant, I should specify 'in the UK', since medical schools in the country I'm studying in require A2 Maths for all medical courses. :teehee:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
No medical school prefers people to have done Maths.

Edit: Just occurred to me that while it's likely utterly irrelevant, I should specify 'in the UK', since medical schools in the country I'm studying in require A2 Maths for all medical courses. :teehee:

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest