The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Arguably the student satisfaction component. Otherwise all the criteria they use are irrelevant. UCAS points? Who cares. Student to staff ratio? Highly dependent on interpretation. Employment rate? The fact that most medicine league tables even include that shows that they have no idea how medical jobs work.

They're nonsense written to sell papers and advertisements.
For those that have already applied to medicine and have had offer, what did you do in the summer holidays, im preparing for UKCAT, working on my EPQ and going to start my personal statement is there anything else to do to help ease the pressure off at the beginning of year 13?
Original post by Superbubbles
For those that have already applied to medicine and have had offer, what did you do in the summer holidays, im preparing for UKCAT, working on my EPQ and going to start my personal statement is there anything else to do to help ease the pressure off at the beginning of year 13?

That's pretty much it. If you haven't done much work experience and/or volunteering, now is still not too late to try squeeze them in. But if you have enough already, that's all you need to be doing.

Make sure you plan out your UKCAT revision. A solid couple of weeks before your test is a good amount, although some people need less and some need more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any books that people recommend to read for people applying for medicine?? I have read staying alive by dr phill Hammond which is really good anyone can think of any others that are interesting and useful??
Any of Atul Gawande's books: Better, Complications, Being Mortal, The Checklist Manifesto
Trust Me I'm a Junior Doctor by Max Pemberton
On Immunity by Eula Biss
Missing Microbes by Martin Blaser
Original post by Superbubbles
Any books that people recommend to read for people applying for medicine?? I have read staying alive by dr phill Hammond which is really good anyone can think of any others that are interesting and useful??

Harrison's
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Harrison's

I second this
Anyone know what type of learning at SGUL? Like PBL or? Also, any opinions of the uni as a whole (for med)? Thanks!
As a Biomedical science graduate, which medical schools can I apply for to study the undergraduate medical degree with BBBc at A level?
Original post by Cravez
As a Biomedical science graduate, which medical schools can I apply for to study the undergraduate medical degree with BBBc at A level?

5 year or 4 year?
Original post by MJK91
5 year or 4 year?

5 year.
Hi I am applying for medicine this year, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me if I stand a chance of getting into a medical school.
GCSE: 4A* 5A 1B
AS: hopefully 4A's
Work Experience: 6 weeks (OBGYN, A&E, Surgery, Endocrinology and Pediatrics) and attended a medicine summer school.
Volunteering: 1 year Barnardos, 1 year Care home, 6 months at primary school and 6 months as a PALS volunteer at a local hospital.
UKCAT:753 AVG

I would really appreciate any advice of which medical schools my stats would most like get me an admission, I was thinking of Newcatle/durham and Manchester. Lastly, will my GCSE's let me down as i dont have 6-7A*'s or does that not play a major role in the selection.
Thanks a lot for any replies.
Hi, I just wanted to check with an average score of 732 in the UKCAT, are any unis out of the question/not really a safe bet? It's not for graduate, but I'm just aware that it's not over the 750+ threshold (also I'm looking at the list of med unis and it just seems so vast that I have to narrow it down). Thanks!
Original post by jasmineaston1997
Hi I am applying for medicine this year, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me if I stand a chance of getting into a medical school.
GCSE: 4A* 5A 1B
AS: hopefully 4A's
Work Experience: 6 weeks (OBGYN, A&E, Surgery, Endocrinology and Pediatrics) and attended a medicine summer school.
Volunteering: 1 year Barnardos, 1 year Care home, 6 months at primary school and 6 months as a PALS volunteer at a local hospital.
UKCAT:753 AVG

I would really appreciate any advice of which medical schools my stats would most like get me an admission, I was thinking of Newcatle/durham and Manchester. Lastly, will my GCSE's let me down as i dont have 6-7A*'s or does that not play a major role in the selection.
Thanks a lot for any replies.

GCSEs depend on the university - there are plenty of guides here and online. :smile:

Your stats look pretty good! As long as your personal statement, predicted grades and references are good, then you should be fine I think! :smile:

Original post by ForeverDay
Hi, I just wanted to check with an average score of 732 in the UKCAT, are any unis out of the question/not really a safe bet? It's not for graduate, but I'm just aware that it's not over the 750+ threshold (also I'm looking at the list of med unis and it just seems so vast that I have to narrow it down). Thanks!

Again, I would have a look at some guides. From when I applied in 2012/2013, King's had quite a high cut-off but that's all I know :smile:
Original post by ForeverDay

That's a good score. Obviously, we don't know how everyone else has done yet, but it should be fine for everywhere. If you want to play super-safe then avoid traditionally high cutoff score courses, but based on past cutoffs you should be fine for everywhere.
Looking for a 'insurance' uni and ,therefore , am wondering about GCSE heavy unis . The reason being I am an international who achieved 9A* at IGCSES .
Hi, I want to apply for medicine and am very tempted to drop maths and continue with biology, chemistry and English Literature. However, I don't know how much this will weaken my application as, from the medicine stalking pages, most people who got in had maths. Also, most of the people who got accepted had 4 A levels. Therefore, would it be wise for me to just not drop a subject?
I did get an A in maths for As but was only 2 marks in. I found it very difficult (as with Chemistry) and heard that it only gets harder. Also, I don't believe that I could have put in any more work this year for maths.
Thank you x
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by parawitch
Hi, I want to apply for medicine and am very tempted to drop maths and continue with biology, chemistry and English Literature. However, I don't know how much this will weaken my application as, from the medicine stalking pages, most people who got in had maths. Also, most of the people who got accepted had 4 A levels. Therefore, would it be wise for me to just not drop a subject?
I did get an A in maths for As but was only 2 marks in. I found it very difficult (as with Chemistry) and heard that it only gets harder. Also, I don't believe that I could have put in any more work this year for maths.
Thank you x

You don't need maths and you definitely don't need to continue 4. Focus on getting AAA in bio, chem and english lit.
Hey

I did A2 Chemistry this year, and to be honest, it did not get much harder.

I got an A* @ GCSE Chemistry, a B in AS Chemistry, and an A overall @ A2 Chemistry.

Unit 4 was actually very easy and unit 5 was just a memory / color exam. I would say that if you just learn the colors, it is not actually a very difficult exam.
You have to put a lot of time into it however.

Also I do not think you need 4 A levels for Medicine, so I would not worry about it.
Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending