Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    why does having 332 places mean anything different?

it wasn't really 90% this year, there were more rejections than in previous years (or so it has seemed - i can't back it up with statistics).
    Because on the birmingham website it says they interview 900 applicants, and on this page it says that 90% of those interviewed receive offers. The only other thing I can think of is that many of those who receive offers tend to use it as insurance rather than their main choice
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What is the best medical school?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formula 1)
    The one that is best for you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as_94)
    Because on the birmingham website it says they interview 900 applicants, and on this page it says that 90% of those interviewed receive offers. The only other thing I can think of is that many of those who receive offers tend to use it as insurance rather than their main choice
    medical schools (and indeed universities in general) will make more offers than they eventually admit as students. the amount they over-offer by is guided by how many people will decline their offer, put them as an insurance and go to their firm and/or that will miss the grades entirely. birmingham will make more than 332 actual offers for the 2011/12 cycle.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as_94)
    Sorry for another question. I've just been on B'ham's site, and apparently there are only 332 places available in 2011. Does this mean that getting an interview no longer holds the 90% success rate?
    It probably doesn't hold a 90% success rate, no. But don't forget that the amount of offers that a uni gives is much greater than the number of places available, this means that there will still be a fairly high "success" rate.

Edit: John's explanation is just as good
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ah ok, thanks very much guys
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Imperial clearly.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as_94)
    OK, I've got a question, I'm saving the thread

For the interview, you might need to know about current NHS issues/NHS in the news. To what extent do you need to know about NHS history or medical history?
    :hello:

It's not something that I would spend too much time on, either you know it or you don't. I would recommend learning why the NHS was created (got some nods from the interviewer for that), internal competetion/market forces, foundation trusts, some newer initiatives like "super" GPs. Also, read up on NICE as it ties with ethics and the Euro Time Directive. :top:
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've cleared this thread out *again* and don't want to have to keep doing this so please quit it with the spam or I'll have to start handing out warnings which I really don't want to have to do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Imperial clearly.
    No doubt about it.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    No doubt about it.
    Your firm and insurance have the same grade offer...?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Yeah I did that because I heard that Birmingham may take you if you miss gettin the A by a couple of UMS. So I just stuck it in, just in case
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did that because I heard that Birmingham may take you if you miss gettin the A by a couple of UMS. So I just stuck it in, just in case
    Hmm, I would have thought that only applied if you were their firm choice. But meh, could be wrong.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I would have thought that only applied if you were their firm choice. But meh, could be wrong.

Hopefully it wont matter anyway Also I have seen other people on TSR who have firmed a lower offer (AAB) and insured an AAA....now I don't get the logic of that ( if they are doing three A2 subjects) :lolwut:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully it wont matter anyway Also I have seen other people on TSR who have firmed a lower offer (AAB) and insured an AAA....now that is stupid lol
    Why, exactly? You're not losing anything by firming them rather than turning them down.

Also lots of people are doing four subject these days. My Glasgow offer (AAB) includes chemistry. My Durham offer (AAA) includes one of chemistry or biology. If I got AAAC with C in chemistry then Glasgow would not accept me but Durham would.

Which makes a helluva lot more sense than firming a University of the same offer, that birmingham taking people if they drop a few marks only applies if you're firm.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Why, exactly? You're not losing anything by firming them rather than turning them down.

Also lots of people are doing four subject these days. My Glasgow offer (AAB) includes chemistry. My Durham offer (AAA) includes one of chemistry or biology. If I got AAAC with C in chemistry then Glasgow would not accept me but Durham would.

Which makes a helluva lot more sense than firming a University of the same offer, that birmingham taking people if they drop a few marks only applies if you're firm.
    Oh right the people that I was referring to, were taking 3 subjects, mistake on my part there shoulda specified that...er you got something against Birmingham, capitalising university instead of Birmingham...:rolleyes:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh right the people that I was referring to, were taking 3 subjects, mistake on my part there shoulda specified that...er you got something against Birmingham, capitalising university instead of Birmingham...:rolleyes:
    Have you got something against using commas properly?

Screw off, this isn't H&R, we don't pick apart people's grammar.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Have you got something against using commas properly?

Screw off, this isn't H&R, we don't pick apart people's grammar.
    :rofl: you need to chill the **** out....

p.s. yeah i hate commas
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine were as well. In fact all my offers were, but I thought I might as well make one of them my insurance as it gave me another avenue to go begging come results day! :p:
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by as_94)
    Sorry for another question. I've just been on B'ham's site, and apparently there are only 332 places available in 2011. Does this mean that getting an interview no longer holds the 90% success rate?
    I never see the point of those stats, the percentage is never 100 so you always have to try at interview, how likely it is that you will be successful shouldn't matter.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 30, 2014
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.