The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

vandiola
Joking of course :smile:

sure you were
Reply 141
Narik
Why are people so keen to revise for the UKCAT so early? Can't you sit it right at the end of the summer holidays if you want, which means that all you eager people can still have 2 months to revise for it after the June exams pass? :lolwut:

It'd be better to do it ASAP to get your results more quickly surely? So you can have more time to make your decisions. And leaving it late is never a good idea. I think it also costs more if you do it in September/October rather than July/August.
Reply 142
Scrubby
It'd be better to do it ASAP to get your results more quickly surely? So you can have more time to make your decisions. And leaving it late is never a good idea. I think it also costs more if you do it in September/October rather than July/August.

End of August is when I'm going to do it. Gives me tonnes of times to prepare and it avoids the late cost. I think a month is ample time to do as well as you can in the UKCAT.
How are people planning on preparing for it? If that's even possible....
anaphylactic
How are people planning on preparing for it? If that's even possible....

I may not be the best example, doing a couple of hours practice a couple of days before.

But, I reckon that so long as you "get" what the questions are asking for, you don't need to do so much prep. I didn't really understand the abstract section, I didn't know how to solve the problems and as a consequence, it was my worst section.
Reply 145
When I did mine, I bought a book that had 600 ukcat practice questions in it and I did some of them each day for 2 weeks or so before my test.
Reply 146
SyedT
Biomedical sciences is probably one of the most ideal courses to take for going into medicine as a graduate applicant :smile:

You have the most awesome signature ever
Reply 147
forsaker
You have the most awesome signature ever

Thanks man :biggrin:
Hello, I would like tp apply for Medicine 2011 entry, and there are two universities I really like the look of, but the degrees which leave with are different. Leicester give MBChB (http://www.le.ac.uk/ugprospectus/courses/medicine/main.html) . And King's College London gives out MBBS (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/index/name/medicine/alpha/m/header_search/)

Can people please be able to tell me the differences in these two qualifications. Thanks in advance.
No difference whatsoever :smile:
seriously? Is the difference like exam boards with a levels?
mrt23498
seriously? Is the difference like exam boards with a levels?

It's not even that, all UK medical schools will give out a qualification which is "Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery" The 'ChB' comes from the latin for bachelor of surgery. So it's either given in English or Latin as it were, my degree's a MBBCh - it all means the same. Even Southampton, which gives a BM, is equivilant, they just haven't put the surgery bit on the end. Doesn't stop you doing anything, it's just a few letters.
To put it simply: MBBS=BMBS= MB BChir= BM BCh= MB BCh= MB ChB= MBBS= BM= M.B.B.S.

It's all the same, all UK medical schools are held to the highest standard by the GMC, it's just that some schools have the tradition of awarding their graduates a degree with a latin name instead of the english equivalent Chirurgiae is just latin for surgery!

this link is great for comparing medical schools
Thank you very much!!
Reply 155
I sat my UKCAT on the 7th of October, because I was too busy with my personal statement and work experience before.
A few days practising to familiarise yourself with the style of questions is more than enough to ensure you get a decent score.
Prepping now is pointless, especially seeing as June exams matter a lot more, and are more likely to influence whether or not you actually go on to do medicine.

EDIT: I'm aware I'm late on this topic, but I thought I'd just add to what's been said lol..
Reply 156
Thsi thread should really be stickied. I had to wade through a lot of crap to get here. Anyway, I was wondering if unis ask for proof of work experience, GCSE grades, volunteering, extra-curricular activities (like Grade 7 this or whatever) etc. And also would they ask for references from work experience placements and wherever you volunteered at? And if they don't ask should I get a reference anyway? I know St. Georges or Barts do but I'm not sure if the others do. Because I'm a little confused as to how they're meant to know whether you actually volunteered for this long or whatever.

I ask because I've been a member of SJA since last September but I haven't actually started going out on duty yet so I'm unsure whether I'd put September as the start date or whenever I start going out on duty. If they do check, then I'm going to start bugging them to sort my ID badge out ASAP. Not that I wasn't before. There were just adminstrative problems.
Scrubby
Thsi thread should really be stickied. I had to wade through a lot of crap to get here. Anyway, I was wondering if unis ask for proof of work experience, GCSE grades, volunteering, extra-curricular activities (like Grade 7 this or whatever) etc. And also would they ask for references from work experience placements and wherever you volunteered at? And if they don't ask should I get a reference anyway? I know St. Georges or Barts do but I'm not sure if the others do. Because I'm a little confused as to how they're meant to know whether you actually volunteered for this long or whatever.

I ask because I've been a member of SJA since last September but I haven't actually started going out on duty yet so I'm unsure whether I'd put September as the start date or whenever I start going out on duty. If they do check, then I'm going to start bugging them to sort my ID badge out ASAP. Not that I wasn't before. There were just adminstrative problems.

Barts never asked for any proof of my work experience/voluntary work. In fact, none of the unis did.

The only time, I believe, that you have to provide any evidence of anything whatsoever is when you enroll with your exam certificates.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea to make things up though. :p:
Reply 158
Scrubby

Most just take your word for it, Kings does a form where you fill in details about work experience possibley in case they want to check if they feel you made it up.
Reply 159
Onychophagia
Barts never asked for any proof of my work experience/voluntary work. In fact, none of the unis did.

The only time, I believe, that you have to provide any evidence of anything whatsoever is when you enroll with your exam certificates.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea to make things up though. :p:

Right so it's St. Georges then. But that's good. I'm not going to make anything up but I am just going to put that I have been a member of SJA since September which is very true. What they wouldn't know is that I haven't actually been out on duty yet.

Quick Reply

Latest