The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks! I've also got D1 and S1 tomorrow!
Good luck to you too!
Good luck everyone, but goin to be exhausted tomorrow, D1, S1 and Physics all in one day! FML
Reply 22
cpdavis
Good luck everyone, but goin to be exhausted tomorrow, D1, S1 and Physics all in one day! FML

I got D1 and Unit 1 Mechanics (OCR A Physics ) are u taking abt the same thing, if you are, then sfe.
In the Linear Programing, when using the objective line function, do you have to draw out lots of lines while you move your ruler?
Reply 24
DarkWarrior
In the Linear Programing, when using the objective line function, do you have to draw out lots of lines while you move your ruler?

One line is fine, as long as you clearly label it as the objective line, otherwise you'll get no marks. Also make sure it's of a reasonable size, eg. not way too small near the origin otherwise you'll probably lose a mark for that.
Reply 25
Nope. Draw only 1! =)
For the Jan 2010 paper:

The markscheme for the flow chart puts all the answers in different lines :s-smilie: could someone explain why?

For example when you found T=3400, they put R=7000 in the line below, and R>0 = Yes in the line below that.

Why?!
Thanks guys,
I just saw in the book a little bubble saying:
the objective line of the form P=ax+by
always passes through (b,0) and (0,a), should be useful to remember as well :smile:
bijesh12
I got D1 and Unit 1 Mechanics (OCR A Physics ) are u taking abt the same thing, if you are, then sfe.

with physics, it;s unit one for edexcel. But it includes half mechanics, and half materials. Hoping for 90+ %. Good luck!:biggrin:
do we need to know the handshaking lemma? It's easy to learn but my head will explode if I have to remember yet another algorithm, no matter how simple :dry:
Reply 30
Xenomorph v2.1
do we need to know the handshaking lemma? It's easy to learn but my head will explode if I have to remember yet another algorithm, no matter how simple :dry:

It's in the syllabus so you do need to know it.. Thoughtit is very very unlikely it will come up. Though it's best to know it cause you never know..

It's pretty simple though, for every arc there must be two valancies contributed to the graph, so 2 x arcs = valancies, so total amount of valancies is always even, and if there is a odd valancy for one node there must be a paired node that also has an odd valancy so there is always an even number in total .. :P:

Gl tmoz :smile:
Quick question, for the first fit decreasing bin packing algorithm would you be expected to sort the numbers into descending order first using a quick sort for example, or would you only have to do so if they explicitly asked you to. In other words can you just write down the series in descending order and go from there unless asked?
semolina pilchard
Quick question, for the first fit decreasing bin packing algorithm would you be expected to sort the numbers into descending order first using a quick sort for example, or would you only have to do so if they explicitly asked you to. In other words can you just write down the series in descending order and go from there unless asked?

Yes
TwirlGirl
Yes

Thanks
Reply 34
TwirlGirl
For the Jan 2010 paper:

The markscheme for the flow chart puts all the answers in different lines :s-smilie: could someone explain why?

For example when you found T=3400, they put R=7000 in the line below, and R>0 = Yes in the line below that.

Why?!

I know right!

Anyway, I'm just going to do it how it's always been done. :smile:
Xtian
I know right!

Anyway, I'm just going to do it how it's always been done. :smile:

Is that not right then?

And also;

I always get SO confused with things like y<2x or 2y<x ...how would i write that in words? Any easy way to remember which way around it goes?
Reply 36
Xenomorph v2.1

Omigosh I totally forgot what that was! :eek3:
typewriter
crocodiles. in the first one (y is less than 2x/2x is greater than y), the 2x OMNOMNOMs the y :p: (it's bigger on the 2x side) and then on the graph, you work out which side of the line you want by picking a point and then seeing if it fits the inequality

edit - yeah I got confused doing that jan 2010 question as well. ended up with 3 lines or something

second edit - got some questions - on one paper i was trying to draw a profit line but i could get a good one that passed through the feasible region. does it have to? also when using the vertex method of finding the maximum (or minimum), what if the values have to be integers, and the vertex that gives the maximum has non-integer co-ordinates?

I don't draw profit lines..get a bit confused with what they actually are :p:
But the second non-integer bit!!!! I got so confused too...should i round up or down or what?! Because you can't have .3 of a cupboard! Basically i have no idea :frown:

What are you going to do if we have to do a flowchart table? Will you put them in the same row or stagger the values down the table?!
TwirlGirl
But the second non-integer bit!!!! I got so confused too...should i round up or down or what?! Because you can't have .3 of a cupboard! Basically i have no idea :frown:

What are you going to do if we have to do a flowchart table? Will you put them in the same row or stagger the values down the table?!

You are meant to stagger them, but I sat the Jan 2010 paper and didn't stagger the values (I only used like 3 lines), and when I got my paper back I still got full marks for that question :smile:
TwirlGirl

For this, you would find out the coord of the max/min value.
Say its (33.6,77.1) then you would test out the 4 corner vertexes
in this case, you'll have to find (33,77),(34,77),(33,78),(34,79)
and see if they're in the feasible region and which one is is the max/min out of those 4.
hope this helps :smile:
Got S1 as well, so aint got much time for D1.

How to do a scheduling chart if the numbers of workers is specified?
Its such a pain to do!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending