The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Do past papers if possible (make sure that they're for the right board). Read through your notes.
I often right post-its with questions/pointers on and then put them up around the house and every time I see one I have to answer it etc. For German if you've got anybody that speaks it, ask them to test you - I do Russian and not one person in my family can speak it so it doesn't help, but when I've done it with people who can speak it it helps a lot.
Past papers are the best :smile:
Get together with your friends and make games out of the things you have to remember. Me and my friends did a Jeremy Kyle type thing for R.E and psychology and it was really fun! Plus, we got a lot of the information into our heads!
This site became my best friend when I did mine last year: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/ I can't recommend it enough, along with CGP Revision guides and workbooks: http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/books.asp . Past papers are also really good, especially if you can get hold of mark schemes as well so you can see what you're doing well and what you need to improve on.

I didn't do 'Of Mice and Men', but I found the videos on bitesize (http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/prosemicemen/) really handy, if not slightly patronising :h: for the novel I studied.

For languages, I find the best way to pick stuff up is to listen to the radio in the target language. Yes, I look and feel like a right nerd when I have French music blasting out from the computer, but it really helps. Also, read articles in newspapers, magazines etc.

I can't think of anything else at the mo, but if I do, I'll pop back and edit this. Feel free to fire some questions my way if you'd like. :smile:

Hope this has helped and isn't just a load of gobbledygoop! :p:
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/
i seem to remember being pointed to this at some point of revision :s-smilie:
but mind maps or whatever there called now and the postits around the place i always find useful :smile:
x
Reply 5

chemguide.co.uk
s-cool.co.uk
For Science i use cgp revision guide and collins books.I write notes as i read through then maybe change them into my own word.I always answer questions from the book after every topic i've studied.And past papers are really useful.as for English you can go on sparknotes,englishbiz,s-cool,bbcbitesize.read your novels again and try past papers.
I hope i've helped.I'm also doing GCSEs:smile:
Reply 7
sam learning was my revision help for gcses
Reply 8
I'll tell you what I did, perhaps you'll find something useful...

I rewrote all of my notes, highlighted them and read them aloud to myself. For languages just read all of your speaking aloud as much as you can, a friend of mine recorded herself saying hers and put it on her iPod and it really helped her. As for Blood Brothers try to see a performance if you can. For the exam you need to bear in mind that it's a play, not prose. Also, check out SparkNotes, they'll have stuff on Of Mice and Men, looking at themes, motifs, characters etc, and get some study notes if you can.

I have to admit that I didn't actually do many past papers - but you ought to do at least a few, just so you know what the exam actually looks like, so you don't get thrown by it!

If you're struggling to concentrate, perhaps you're just overloading yourself with work? Reivise in short chunks, with lots of short breaks to help concentration. But you'll find that the more you revise the more you get into the rhythm of it too.

Someone told me that Polo mints are good for revision, if you have one in your mouth when you're revising and then in the exam have another it's supposed to help you remember things. I suppose it must be a sensory thing, or perhaps it's just positive psychology? Other than that - good luck!
im doing my gcses this year too and what's been really helpful is of course bitesize and past papers as well as sam learning, s-cool.co.uk, gcsepod.co.uk (you have to pay for them but you get a free one when you sign up) and often if you type what you want into google, certain schools will have useful sheets :smile:
practice a range of revision techniques to find the one that suits you
some people work best with colourful flash-cards and mind-maps
some by listening, reciting their work aloud (and one person i know sings their revision to remember it)
and obviously some people can just cram
if you find the type of revision that suits you then you'll excel really quickly
and just make you that you do make notes so that you can condense them uber small and just scan through them before your exam :wink: makes it a lot easier than sitting flicking through a book
Reply 11
Thanks for all your advise guys :smile: Tomorrow i shall be off to buy loads of post-its and ill recored my german speaking.. should help me learn it... :smile: ill try the websites in a bit.. having a break :P thanks again x any other tips just add them x
Reply 12
and thanks for the people who suggested Spark notes... REALLY helpful with of mice and men.. gonna look at the notes it has for blood brothers soon :P xxxx

Latest