The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
bambipoppins
Basically, I've got four rejections and an offer from Oxford brooks.

I got interviewed at Warwick and Oxford, but was later rejected as well as being rejected from Durham and KCL.

I got 12 A/A* at GCSE and am predicted 2A and 2A* at A Level, Which I will get. .

But still the rejections are right infront of me. I could go to Brooks but without being snobby, I feel with my grades I could do better and I don't really want to go - Was bullied into applying. Would it be best to take Brooks, or spend a year doing something useful and applying next year?

Oh Yea, To Do English.

I would focus on your A-levels and reapply next year. I don't think you should settle for a university that you quite obviously don't want to go to. I know with the Q300 course at King's they specifically say that A-level subjects balanced towards the arts are very desirable. They also like to see a language at GCSE level. Maybe it was your subject combination that you let you down?

You have an excellent set of GCSEs and if you get your predicted A-level grades then you will be in a fantastic position next year. I really wouldn't feel too disheartened by the UCAS process as literature is an extremely popular subject (King's have 16 applicants per place) and you still have plenty of opportunities left open to you.

May I suggest applying to a few lower ranked universities in your next application? That's not to say that you don't deserve to study at a top university, but at least it may leave you in a better position next year. I know English language is not as popular as literature, but I made sure my top three choices (King's, Edinburgh and York) were backed up by two lower ranked universities (Sussex and Lancaster).

If I were you then I would definitely reapply. I applied for deferred entry and a gap year has been very good for me. I wouldn't see this years application as a failure as you can contact the universities for feedback to see where you can improve. Like another user said, maybe it was your PS, which is obviously very important for English. It's worth finding all this out so you can post back here next year with lots of unconditional offers you'd be happy to go to. :biggrin:

If it helps in any way I do know somebody who is at Oxford Brookes studying Literature and Drama. She's a really nice person who did very well at GCSE and A-level, but picked the university because she loved the course and the atmosphere. It may be worth considering Oxford Brookes, but you seem keen to strive for more (and to be honest, with your grades, I would too).

Best of luck whatever you decide. :smile:
Reply 21
Brookes give a hefty bursary for English with AAA. Otherwise - you poor unlucky thing :frown:

Have you checked out Extra?

Latest