The Student Room Group

Uni choices Essex or Hull? needed help!

Ive applied for a core Psychology course.

I havnt submitted my choices yet though.
I had decided on Kent as my first choice. My insurance is between Essex and Hull.

So I was wondering which between the two (Essex and Hull) would be the 'better' choice?

Hull seems to have a better standing and course but Hull is quite a distance away (from Oxford), and is a less desirable place?

I think my gut feeling is with Hull but im still very confused on which choice to make and so I would appreciate any help or knowledge on the Unis. I was only able to take a campus tour of Essex and not a tour of the psychology department. Ive Essex participates in good research?

Also, if any students taking the course could tell me their thoughts that would be great!

Thanks
Reply 1
lolz, i had the same dilemma 2years ago.

I visited both universities after receiving offers and chose Hull.

Transport system is good and the city is relatively cheap which is important for students. :smile:

It is very underrated as an area and the university is actually pretty damn good.
Reply 2
Hull Uni has really come on in recent years, I was recommended it (arguably by my tutor for history) but I think recently its taken strides. Its shaken off it's slightly bad rep and is being looked at as a good place to be. Looking on the league tables hull is slightly better than Essex for psychology but that doesn't really mean anything, I guess if it comes to it's just where you feel most comfortable so a visit would be in order. If you prefer Hull don't be afraid to go far, you'll be surprised how short the terms seem anyway. Sorry I can't give any inside advice - good luck with your decision.
Reply 3
League tables use objective (arguably) and subjective data.

If you look at The Times:
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Psychology&sub=53&x=22&y=16

it appears that Hull ranks higher than Essex for that subject because of subjective student satisfaction and graduate prospects (also arguably subjective - who definitively decides what is a good prospect in the short or long term?).

But, conversely, Essex ranks higher than Hull on 2 things- research (again, arguably subjective to some extent as to what constitutes better research but could be objective if it means how much it has been published,, if that really means much) and entry requirements (the most objective of the lot but could still depend on how it rates, for instance, IB entrants againts A-Level entrants).

The Guardian uses a value added score that increases the number of points depending on the judged increase between the number of points scored at A-Level compared to the degree grade:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2009/may/12/university-guide-psychology

Unlike The Times table, student satisfaction is near identical here. Like The Times table, graduate prospects are judged to be better at Hull.

But they are both regarded as having better graduate prospects than some universities right at the top of the table in any case e.g. St Andrews.

I've never been to any of those universities. Incidentally, did you ever consider Aberdeen University or Leicester University as insurances or first choices too (since they seem to ask for a bit less than Kent and historically they can sometimes be lenient with offers). Not necessarily better for your subject than your choices though. Leicester's research rating isn't especially high for psychology according to The Times. I studied English at Leicester.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies, Im going to visit the Hull and the main city and see if it feels right for me then I will probably make my decision.

Im just debating wether comfort or reputation is better for choosing a uni?

Latest

Trending

Trending