The Student Room Group

Diploma Foundation Studies Art and Design

Hey,

I will be finishing a 4 year degree this summer in a subject i hate.. My plan is to claim JSA if i am unable to find a job. I also plan to do a course in Art and Design starting September (1 year- Diploma in Foundation Studies Art and Design at York College) I am confused about funding, will this be classed as further education or higher education and will i lose JSA by doing this course? Any advice massively appreciated, very confused.. Whatever the result i will follow this through.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Heya, Im doing a foundation diploma at the moment and it is classified as a further education course, so i dont think student finance would be available. JSA wouldnt be available either, since you would be studying and not actively look for work. Thats what is says on the directgov:

Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) is a benefit open to most people over the age of 18 who are unemployed, not in education and looking for work.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeople/Money/FinancialHelpForYoungPeople/DG_10027506

I dont really know about any other funding, i think you will probably have to finance this course yourself. Hope this helps clear things up, good luck :smile:
Reply 2
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/FinancialHelpForAdultLearners/Adultlearninggrant/DG_068346

I looked up ALG because Im hitting 19 and also doing the same course. The foundation Diploma is a level 3 qualification, which means you could be intitled to the ALG. It's prety much EMA for 19+ It is aimed at supporting adult learners doing GCSEs/Alevels.
Reply 3
I could be wrong, but unfortunately I don't think the adult learning grant is payable if you already hold an equivalent or higher level of education (i.e. you already have a degree). You could try your college's hardship fund once you have enrolled though. Good luck op, if you are meant to do it you will find a way.
Reply 4
blondesse
I could be wrong, but unfortunately I don't think the adult learning grant is payable if you already hold an equivalent or higher level of education (i.e. you already have a degree). You could try your college's hardship fund once you have enrolled though. Good luck op, if you are meant to do it you will find a way.

Ah, well I would say give ALG a call, and maybe ask connections on their website.

Latest