The Student Room Group

Psychology? Experiences?

Overall, what's the general opinion on Psychology? I've been warned it's hard (could be taking it in September) but my teacher looks like he'll be a good one - he said he'll be hard on the students but only because he knows what's required of them, which is fair enough.

I am determined to do it and get on with the work as soon as possible, and I respect this teacher a lot. Apparently it's interesting and if you really enjoy it and find it fascinating, it'll be a breeze.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tis hard depending on what syllabus you do. I did AQA Spec B, and found it quite difficult, but also interesting. My teacher was a complete bitch to us this year though, kept cancelling lessons, and one time she spent 2 hours talking to us about what clothes she was taking on holiday instead of teaching us debates, which didnt help (i failed both papers this year but still got a D cos of last years grades). However, your teacher sounds a lot nicer than mine, so I say give it a try
Apparently the board is Edexcel (not a fan of them, but apparently they do alright with Psychology).
Reply 3
Hmmm...have just had a look at the Edexcel AS spec online and you do Memory, which is good, Social influence, which is bloody brilliant, Cognitive development, which I didnt really do till the 2nd year but enjoyed anyway, Learning, which is interesting sometimes but can get a bit boring after a while, psychodynamic approach which i LOVED (freud was sooooooo strange :P), and the physiological approach, which I never studied. Looks like a really good course!
Brilliant :biggrin:

Just had a look at a specimen paper. The exams look really interesting!
Reply 5
aye, if you like the sound of the exam then I'd say go for it!
Does anyone know how Edexcel are with the marking for Psychology? Overall, they're the worst exam board I've ever had, and as Psychology in my college is with Edexcel, I'm a bit worried...
Reply 7
I'd definately recommend it :smile: I live it! I did it with OCR which was OK from what I can remember! Maybe go to the library and have a look at the beginners psychology books, hopefully you'll find them interesting :biggrin:
Reply 8
Psychology, i managed a C first year, and managed to turn it around and yesterday i recieved an A. The saying "you get from it what you put in" comes to mind, it isnt an a-level you can pay little attention to and manage a B, its demanding but very interesting.
I just did AS and got a B... it was very very very difficult last minute revision..

if you work properly throughout the year you should do well. Some of the stuff is really boring. i hated it. It was all basically memorising everything. just spending hours memorising.

See wat a few other people say and then decide. I think it mainly depends on how you are taught it. If your taught it well u would proably love it
The teacher seems like a really, REALLY good one. He knows what's expected of the students to get the top grades, and he says he'll be really tough but only because of that. He does seem to have a genuine love for the subject.

So, if I keep on top of the work, spend a few hours reading (as with Biology; haven't done Science in over a year and I've never done Psychology, so I really want to just READ about it as much as I can over the year) and pay attention, I should be fine?

Thanks guys!
Reply 11
I think Psychology is one of those subjects that if you really enjoy it, you will do well. I got my AS results and got a B, but I was let down on the 1st paper (memory and attachments) cos i found it quite boring and therefore spent more time revising the other modules... Individual differences is really interesting though. You look at eating disorders and stuff that triggers them. Some bits of the course are dull, but then the bits that are good are really good.
Brilliant :biggrin:.

Thanks guys!

Amongst my friends there's been quite a weird response - one found it interesting but didn't do very well, one wants to do it at university, one didn't like it at all and is dropping it, and another found it interesting/good and got a C, which she's disappointed in. Also, the fact that the teacher is considered to be a bit "UUGHH, WORK!" bothered me, but I respect his way of thinking now, because there's a reason for it (he's not just strict because he's a grumpy-guts, he just knows what's required of his students).

But I actually am looking forward to doing it!
Reply 13
I would highly recommend psychology! Its a fabulous subject. I definately think that you do need to enjoy it and some of the subject matter as it is great when you have to learn the in depth theories and research accompaning them.
Teachers always important too, I loved mine (most of the time), proberly why I loved it so much and got my A.
I wouldnt say its extremely difficult, But you do need to pay attention, it isnt something you can just sail through and get a good grade - as many girls in my class found out.
No experience of OCR or edexcel though as did AQA-A spec but go for it if you trhink its for you :smile:

(Wahey another Hannah! )
Reply 14
I would advise Sociology. It's much easier in my opinion and much more selective.
www.aqa.org.uk for syl. Patrick
Psychology is a brilliant subject! Go for it if you like the sound of it :smile: And I would recommend it over sociology, in my opinion it is more interesting. I'm thanking my lucky stars I don't ever have to sit through another sociology lesson! :p:
I already do Sociology :P

Thanks guys!
lostinfantasies
I already do Sociology :P

Sorry, didn't realise you were already studying it!
Reply 18
me neither. Opps! Sociology is easier, but psychology is probably more interesting. I think that is the general consensus.
good luck!
Reply 19
since everbody likes it im gonna do it too.

Latest

Trending

Trending