The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Um.. What exactly is the correlation between?
Planto
Um.. What exactly is the correlation between?

the times that people finished the 200m and 800m races.

I'm useless at maths.
It means that 80% of the differences between time 200 and time 800 were the same.
Reply 4
Sir_Vile_Minds
I've been doing an assignment on Spearman's Coefficient of Rank Correlation which is based on heptathlon (olympics) results.

It's worked between 200 and 800m. Now I have the answer to all that and the result is 0.8 - very good pos correlation.

But what does this tell us about the races as such?

If that's too little info I can expand with the possibility of a photo.

Thanks.

I assume you've taken a certain number of heptathletes, and noted their times in the 200m and 800m?

It's kind of saying that the events aren't independent of one another. You won't say the economy fluctuates with the weather, for example, so you'd expect the correlation between the economy and the weather to be 0. What this strong positive correlation is saying is that there is a strong link between the performance of each athlete in the two events. It's unlikely (though not impossible) that you'll win the 200m and come last in the 800m.

In real terms, it's saying that if you're in contention for winning the 200m, you're also quite likely to be in contention for winning the 800m. Likewise, if you're slower in the 200m than your competitors, you're likely to finish towards the back in the 800m.
JohnnySPal
I assume you've taken a certain number of heptathletes, and noted their times in the 200m and 800m?

It's kind of saying that the events aren't independent of one another. You won't say the economy fluctuates with the weather, for example, so you'd expect the correlation between the economy and the weather to be 0. What this strong positive correlation is saying is that there is a strong link between the performance of each athlete in the two events. It's unlikely (though not impossible) that you'll win the 200m and come last in the 800m.

In real terms, it's saying that if you're in contention for winning the 200m, you're also quite likely to be in contention for winning the 800m. Likewise, if you're slower in the 200m than your competitors, you're likely to finish towards the back in the 800m.

Yep. 10 heptathletes, taken 7 disciplines but this one is based on the 200 and 800m.

Thanks for the answer though. You managed to put it into words while I was sat there like :lolwut:

Latest

Trending

Trending