The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
If anyone wants help with SG Biology, Physics, Chemistry or Maths then I'm here to help. I could help you with close reading in English if you really want, I'm better at than than I am at writing. Just PM me and i'll be happy to help :smile:
Reply 81
rosie9391
Have a look at this site at the features of Glaciation. If you scroll to the bottom, you find simplified large scale map examples which is basically what is on the OS maps.

Main thing is to be looking at contours, i.e. on a U-shaped valley they are very close together at the sides but the bottom is virtually contour free/very far apart which shows that it has been occupied by a glacier.

A V-shaped on the other hand, hasn't got that break in the middle and is usually filled with a river. A hanging valley, is well left hanging above the main U-shaped valley. :p: This could also be occupied by a stream and may form a waterfall as it flows down the steepened sides (don't mix v-shaped and hanging valleys up).

For a corrie, look for round contours as it makes armchair-shaped hollows, and if you're asked to look for a tarn/lochan then look for one filled with water. An arete, is when two or more corries erode back to back leaving a narrow ridge between them (again, steep more linear contour patterns becoming curved as you get to the corrie).

hey, thanks a lot ; ) I already noted down what you said. thanks for helping. I wish i could help someone in return but you all are doing highers already ; p
C274
2008 general exam had a multiple choice along the lines of "In which year was potassium discovered? You may wish to use the data book to help you" :nothing:

:rofl: I finished the paper in 20 minutes. The credit wasn't any better.
Martyna156
hey, thanks a lot ; ) I already noted down what you said. thanks for helping. I wish i could help someone in return but you all are doing highers already ; p

I've edited the post with an actual OS map example, have a wee look as it is harder on the smaller scale.

No problem, oh and some are at uni studying Geography. :p:
Reply 84
davidmarsh01
If anyone wants help with SG Biology, Physics, Chemistry or Maths then I'm here to help. I could help you with close reading in English if you really want, I'm better at than than I am at writing. Just PM me and i'll be happy to help :smile:

any tips on how to do problem solving in biology? I don't know how to do some calculations, how to predict something and how to draw the correct conclusions.

For close reading English, um I would love to get some help however I'm not sure ho. I've done a lot of practice, done most of the past papers and I've been revising a lot so there's very little I can do now. But still I'm not confident enough about it Did you sit Credit in 2009? I heard it was too easy. I've done that paper myself in the classroom and got 43 marks for that. So now I amm worried because if 2009 was too easy then 2010 is probably going to be a nightmare...

thanks ; )
Reply 85
Martyna156
any tips on how to do problem solving in biology? I don't know how to do some calculations, how to predict something and how to draw the correct conclusions.

For close reading English, um I would love to get some help however I'm not sure ho. I've done a lot of practice, done most of the past papers and I've been revising a lot so there's very little I can do now. But still I'm not confident enough about it Did you sit Credit in 2009? I heard it was too easy. I've done that paper myself in the classroom and got 43 marks for that. So now I amm worried because if 2009 was too easy then 2010 is probably going to be a nightmare...

thanks ; )

I got 43 on that one too :smile:
But ayee this years will probs be harder :frown: but that means the pass mark might be lower :yep:
Wasn't it the one where it's the boy and he goes out with his uncle, and his mother's kidnapped? lol. I was the only one in my class to guess the last answer right :colone:

I got a 3 for my writing exam cos I wrote about something that had nothing to do with the question :mmm: Remember: the sqa love depressing things. :sexface:
Reply 87
Bipolar Dipole
Wasn't it the one where it's the boy and he goes out with his uncle, and his mother's kidnapped? lol. I was the only one in my class to guess the last answer right :colone:

I got a 3 for my writing exam cos I wrote about something that had nothing to do with the question :mmm: Remember: the sqa love depressing things. :sexface:

aye that's the one :smile:

lol so i've heard... a girl in our school wrote about a wee girl being abused by her father, and our depute head pulled her out to ask if everything was ok at home :eek:
gibbogersfan
aye that's the one :smile:

lol so i've heard... a girl in our school wrote about a wee girl being abused by her father, and our depute head pulled her out to ask if everything was ok at home :eek:

:lolwut:

I wrote about a guy who won a race, got big headed, lost all his friends and killed himself :s-smilie:
Reply 89
Bipolar Dipole

I wrote about a guy who won a race, got big headed, lost all his friends and killed himself :s-smilie:

I think I'd quite enjoy reading that story :p:

Hope I'm lucky enough to get a decent question this year...
You'd be pretty unlucky if there was not one topic in the booklet that you didn't want to write about. :p: Just remember, at Higher, you could walk into the exam and find that you literally couldn't answer any question. In principle. :wink:
A Large Town In France
You'd be pretty unlucky if there was not one topic in the booklet that you didn't want to write about. :p: Just remember, at Higher, you could walk into the exam and find that you literally couldn't answer any question. In principle. :wink:

This. Mind you, you'd be unlucky if there weren't any questions for the critical essays, but it's still quite possible.

I did number 3 for my standard grade writing. :sexface:

Is anyone doing SG History? I ******* loved it. 98% in my prelim and 2 1s in the finals. I'll help out with the 8 mark essays. (I managed to predict the section and topic which my exam essay was going to be on :mmm)
Reply 92
Bipolar Dipole
This. Mind you, you'd be unlucky if there weren't any questions for the critical essays, but it's still quite possible.

I did number 3 for my standard grade writing. :sexface:

Is anyone doing SG History? I ******* loved it. 98% in my prelim and 2 1s in the finals. I'll help out with the 8 mark essays. (I managed to predict the section and topic which my exam essay was going to be on :mmm)

Meee :smile: I got 98% in my prelim :wink: only lost one mark ... grrrr!

I'm hoping th 8marker isnt on section D, which is for me, Germany.

I'm dropping it next year tho :/
gibbogersfan
Meee :smile: I got 98% in my prelim :wink: only lost one mark ... grrrr!

I'm hoping th 8marker isnt on section D, which is for me, Germany.

I'm dropping it next year tho :/

Yeah, I lost a mark for spelling a really long german name wrong :rolleyes:

I loved Germany, it was much more interesting than WW1 and Britain :nothing: I remember writing about the weimar republic's faults in my exam :daydreaming:

I dropped it too, higher would kill me :p:
Reply 94
everyone tells me history is easy and pretty enjoyable. and I wonder, what tempted me to take geography? ; p
Martyna156
everyone tells me history is easy and pretty enjoyable. and I wonder, what tempted me to take geography? ; p

I still regard SG History as being quite hard, but really interesting.
Bipolar Dipole

What grade did you get for it? :ahee:
I'm planning to write a short story :yep: :cool:
Reply 97
Bipolar Dipole
I still regard SG History as being quite hard, but really interesting.

well I think it depends then. most of my friends say it's easy and they laugh at me when I complain how much I don't like geography and how boring it is. at my school there were many people who got two 1s for their history prelim and in comparison for the geography prelim, there were merely two people who passed credit. I passed it despite that I thought I would fail because the exam was so hard. Fortunately, I'm dropping geography and taking higher modern studies instead ; )
Yess, Finally a thread for the standard grades.
And I just joined. :fight:

Anyway I'm sitting
Geography, French, Maths, English, Physics, Biology and erh..Chemistry at credit level.
How likely is it for a sine/tan or cosine graph to come up in the exam? :eek: :dumbells: :dumbells:

And for physics.

What's Scintillation and could someone help me with the geiger muller tube?? :eek3: :hat2:

:ninja2:
What??
geography is easy,
apart from the OS level map questions. :ninja2: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending