The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Duckzilla
Was that your negative rep I just received? It didn't do anything.

If you are not bothered about special treatment or consideration then why even say anything? Having a problem mentioned on a reference is special consideration because you want the universities to specially consider why you got the grades you did instead of being treated normally.

You could have kept your leg horizontal in a cast whilst being in a wheelchair, that's what somebody did in my primary school and managed through the week's worth of exams.

Haha, no, I didn't neg rep anyone :bigsmile:
You obviously don't understand!
I didn't get ANY grades to have specially considered, I was rejected from Warwick with AS results of AAXX
AAUU or AA-- I don't know how it was pecieved on the other end!
They might have been under the impression I failed these four exams :smile: They might not have been under this impression - I simply don't know.

All I wanted was for the universities to know I didn't sit these 4 exams because I had a broken ankle, and I was in hospital awaiting an operation. Not that I want a lower offer in light of this, or they should consider me more favourably.

Anyway, I sat these exams a year later after learning the course, and in one subject had been given the wrogn exam, it's just not going according to plan this A-level stuff !
Reply 21
I think those people who think that you can think straight while on opiate analgesics should probably try it one day (I hope it doesn't happen but if you do have some sort of serious injury/have to undergo surgery then you might have to). You'll understand afterwards when you remember all the weird thoughts you have, the fact that you think something like double vision is perfectly normal shows how the brain isn't exactly in examination gear.
Have any of you people saying 'you could have gone to the exam with a broken ankle' ever been drugged up on painkillers in hospital?
Jakko247
Haha, funny you should ask, When I came to re-sit the exams I missed, I got 94/100 in history and a C in business studies (I'm predicted A) because apparently the exam we did, did not completely correspond to the specification we had learnt! :/

Alright, well there's no issue with History and the Business Studies problem isn't related to your broken ankle, so it's probably quite appropriate for your referee to leave it out, as it would free up space for more important information.

You have 4 conditional offers and fingers crossed you'll get your 5th - best of luck!! :smile:
Reply 24
DarkWhite
Alright, well there's no issue with History and the Business Studies problem isn't related to your broken ankle, so it's probably quite appropriate for your referee to leave it out, as it would free up space for more important information.

You have 4 conditional offers and fingers crossed you'll get your 5th - best of luck!! :smile:

Well it kinda is related :P
I broke my ankle so I couldn't do the specific exam we had been taught to, when I came to resit the exam this January, the exam had changed and we hadn't been told, so there was quite a lot of topics on the exam we had never heard of.

The main reason I wanted the broken ankle mentioned was because I only had two AS grades because of it, I couldn't sit the 4 modular exams for the other two ASs
I was rejected by Warwick and I have no found out that the medical reason for missing four exams has been omitted by my referee, meaning that Warwick, in my application were presented with AAXX, AAUU or AA-- without the context of those grades (i.e. absent on medical grounds, with a letter from my consultant), I'm not sure in which format the two missing grades would have been presented to Warwick, but I am guessing there's a possibility they have thought I got two Us or so.

I really don't know, but I suppose it's water under the bridge now anyway :bigsmile:
Reply 25
Jakko247
Well it kinda is related :P
I broke my ankle so I couldn't do the specific exam we had been taught to, when I came to resit the exam this January, the exam had changed and we hadn't been told, so there was quite a lot of topics on the exam we had never heard of.

The main reason I wanted the broken ankle mentioned was because I only had two AS grades because of it, I couldn't sit the 4 modular exams for the other two ASs
I was rejected by Warwick and I have no found out that the medical reason for missing four exams has been omitted by my referee, meaning that Warwick, in my application were presented with AAXX, AAUU or AA-- without the context of those grades (i.e. absent on medical grounds, with a letter from my consultant), I'm not sure in which format the two missing grades would have been presented to Warwick, but I am guessing there's a possibility they have thought I got two Us or so.

I really don't know, but I suppose it's water under the bridge now anyway
Juno's advice is the most sensible in this thread. It is just possible that Warwick would reconsider given the circumstances, but it's not all that likely.
Did you not mention anything about it in your personal statement? Give Warwick a try, but they might not change :frown:
Reply 27
linkdapink
Did you not mention anything about it in your personal statement? Give Warwick a try, but they might not change :frown:
These things are always better covered in the reference. It is unfortunate that in this case the referee didn't do what s/he was asked to do.
Reply 28
This year there is a massive increase in the numbers applying to university, maybe you got turned down because other people had better grades? With so many people appling this year not everybody is going to get offers for every course they apply for.
Reply 29
Sabsbabs1
This year there is a massive increase in the numbers applying to university, maybe you got turned down because other people had better grades? With so many people appling this year not everybody is going to get offers for every course they apply for.
Of course it's possible that he would have been turned down anyway, but these were relevant factors affecting his exam results and should have been mentioned. It might have made a difference - then again, it might not.
Reply 30
Minerva
Of course it's possible that he would have been turned down anyway, but these were relevant factors affecting his exam results and should have been mentioned. It might have made a difference - then again, it might not.

I totally understand this, but as the OP has had offers from some universities it dows'nt seem to have been a massive factor, otherwise he would have had no offers.

Did you have an interview at all for your place?
Where you able to mention your accident in your personal statement?

Maybe this course was your first choice and you are disappointed you didnt get it, you could ask the university why, they have to give you a reason. If it was because it was a high demand course or it may be because your tutor failed to tell them why you missed exams, but you wont know until you ask.
Reply 31
I don't understand why quite a few users are mocking the OP? Admittedly his circumstances might not have altered the outcome of his university offers, but nevertheless it should have been included on his reference. Being hospitalised surely deserves a mention when he could't attend some exams and these AS results are the main bit of information the universities have to make an offer?!
Reply 32
Jakko247
Haha, funny you should ask, When I came to re-sit the exams I missed, I got 94/100 in history and a C in business studies (I'm predicted A) because apparently the exam we did, did not completely correspond to the specification we had learnt! :/

Well done.

If that's the case, considering you've got several offers, I doubt it'd make much of a difference now unless the business studies would yield a serious impact on your application.
Reply 33
If you were plugged into a morhpine drip then fair dos for not sitting. Best thing to do would be to call UCAS and the universities and ask about it. Prob should have put a quick line in your PS tbh! But get a doctors note saying that he wouldn't let you sit them then send a copy to UCAS and all the unis!
contact the uni's yourself and tell them about the situation. a polite email is better than ranting at you tutor!!
Reply 35
For whatever reason, the OP couldn't take the exams. Maybe they were in hospital, maybe they didn't have any crutches, WHATEVER.

The tutor should have included it in the reference. Ring the unis and see if it affects anything.
Irregardless to the extent to which it would have affected your performance, you received medical advice not to take your exams. This has to count for something and at least deserved a mention to explain your "missing" grades.

Sympathies my dear, sympathies.

Having said that, you appear to have some good offers in the bag. Maybe no matter?
Duckzilla
Was that your negative rep I just received? It didn't do anything.

If you are not bothered about special treatment or consideration then why even say anything? Having a problem mentioned on a reference is special consideration because you want the universities to specially consider why you got the grades you did instead of being treated normally.

You could have kept your leg horizontal in a cast whilst being in a wheelchair, that's what somebody did in my primary school and they managed through their week's worth of exams.

I negged you. For being a frigging idiot. Learn how swelling or opioids work and then maybe you won't be so judgemental you inbred. Regardless of whatever it was, he had medical advice to NOT take the exams. I'm fairly sure, could be wrong here, that his consultant has more experience with injuries than anybody on this forum, including the OP. Therefore, his advice should go above everyone elses.

He had medical considerations and it should have been in his reference. End of story.
Put it in your personal statement and call your choices. I know this is off topic but how did you break your ankle?
Reply 39
Minerva

This is the only issue I have with the whole omission! :bigsmile:

I simply don't know what Warwick thought of my two missing grades - I will email them and just let them know about the situation, explain that I found out my reference had neglected to mention this information, explain that if a decision wasn't based on the two missing grades, I am still satisfied with the unsuccessful, but if it was made on the grounds of the missing ASs then Warwick did not have all the accurate information for them to make an informed decision, if they want to look into it, the incident is well documented and I have letters from consultants etc... :smile:

I have pretty much decided what to do with university now, but I am pretty annoyed that this was left out of my reference, I asked him twice to include it, I have never seen it though, I trusted him to write it. Nevermind though, what's done is done

Latest