The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jakko247
This is the only issue I have with the whole omission! :bigsmile:

I simply don't know what Warwick thought of my two missing grades - I will email them and just let them know about the situation, explain that I found out my reference had neglected to mention this information, explain that if a decision wasn't based on the two missing grades, I am still satisfied with the unsuccessful, but if it was made on the grounds of the missing ASs then Warwick did not have all the accurate information for them to make an informed decision, if they want to look into it, the incident is well documented and I have letters from consultants etc... :smile:

I have pretty much decided what to do with university now, but I am pretty annoyed that this was left out of my reference, I asked him twice to include it, I have never seen it though, I trusted him to write it. Nevermind though, what's done is done

I would possibly e-mail your other universities as well. You seem articulate enough to be able to tell them without sound like your begging for something. I know I'm piss poor at writing formal letters.

For some students with extenuating circumstances lower offers are made than usual. They may also be more considerate should you miss your offers by a few marks, especially because you completely missed exams due to your op.
RollerBall
I would possibly e-mail your other universities as well. You seem articulate enough to be able to tell them without sound like your begging for something. I know I'm piss poor at writing formal letters.

For some students with extenuating circumstances lower offers are made than usual. They may also be more considerate should you miss your offers by a few marks, especially because you completely missed exams due to your op.

But I thought OP didn't want special treatment or mitigating circumstances, so why bother?
Reply 42
RollerBall

I emailed Warwick just now:

Dear sir/madam,

I have recently recieved an unsuccessful from Warwick which I have accepted; however, yesterday I found out from another university that my academic reference had neglected to mention my extenuating circumstances and the reason for two absent AS grades.
Therefore I am not aware how these two missing AS grades (history and business studies) were presented to Warwick admissions tutors.
I am writing to let you know of this information, and to inquire as to any impact on your decision these missing grades had. I thought it right for you to be aware that I was in hospital during that specific exam period.

If this information, or lack of, did not impact upon your decision to issue an unsuccessful then I am very happy for the unsuccessful to stand, but if it did however, I thought Warwick would like to know about these circumstances which are documented with the college I attend.

Best regards,

Tomtomtom910
But I thought OP didn't want special treatment or mitigating circumstances, so why bother?

I don't want special treatment, but I couldn't have been given equal consideration with two AS grades missing without explanation :/
Reply 43
I would have said to contact them and just let them know just in case, but since you already have offers it won't make a difference now; apart from Warwick. I would probably email or phone them to let them know that you weren't physically able to attend and that you are planning to resit/have resit. But with the one's you already have offers for they obviously assumed you would take resits, or maybe the uni you spoke to made an error and it does in fact say about it in your reference. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much now you have 4 offers! :smile:

EDIT: Sorry just read your post showing about the unsuccessful and what you sent to Warwick, I think that sounds good- not too pushy, and not complaining if the missing AS grades were irrelevant, just letting them know just incase. Good Luck xxx
Jakko247
I emailed Warwick just now:

Dear sir/madam,

I have recently recieved an unsuccessful from Warwick which I have accepted; however, yesterday I found out from another university that my academic reference had neglected to mention my extenuating circumstances and the reason for two absent AS grades.
Therefore I am not aware how these two missing AS grades (history and business studies) were presented to Warwick admissions tutors.
I am writing to let you know of this information, and to inquire as to any impact on your decision these missing grades had. I thought it right for you to be aware that I was in hospital during that specific exam period.

If this information, or lack of, did not impact upon your decision to issue an unsuccessful then I am very happy for the unsuccessful to stand, but if it did however, I thought Warwick would like to know about these circumstances which are documented with the college I attend.

Best regards,

I don't want special treatment, but I couldn't have been given equal consideration with two AS grades missing without explanation :/

That reads as a good formal e-mail. :smile: Completely understand your stance on this; from Warwick's point of view you only had two AS grades, but it was through no fault of you. It's not like you want a lower offer, just equal consideration - I'd want the same.

I assume if Warwick was to reconsider their decision and make you an offer, it would affect how you would reply to your offers?

f00ddude
thed expect you to resit anyways
+ pussy, when i did my A levels i had a damaged knee ligiment, an arm with a 16cm graze on the side i lean to right with and a sprained ankle along with many other cuts and bruises (gotta love mountain biking) i stil went to an exam the next day with no pain killers or cast just an old walkign stick

Good for you; I had untreated swine flu when I did my last exam. OP, however, was on morphine in hospital, and probably completely out of it as a result, as well as under medical advice to not attend his exams. Not having a cast is also irrelevant - you had no injuries that would require a cast.
Why didn't you read the reference before your teacher sent it off??

Really sucks OP hope you get the grades for unis you got offers from.
You should have mentioned it in your PS, that's what i did. And they didnt even ask me in interview what these 'extenuating circumstances' were.
Jakko247
I have just learnt from a university I have applied to that nowhere in my application does it mention the fact I broke my ankle during the exam period and was unable to take 4 exams last summer, despite me asking twice for him to include this incident which is medically documented.

What will the universities I've applied for have made of this unexplained exam absence and the failure to acquire two of four AS grades?

You already have 4 offers, why do you care?

If you're worried about how your AS year will affect your application for Warwick, then fill this in and send it to them:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/awards/

and try and explain to them why you're sending it so late.

Hope that helped.
Jakko247
I don't want lots of attention!
I just wanted to know primarily what Warwick will have concluded about two missing AS grades without explanation.
That's all!

I'd of thought your GCSE's contributed to your Warwick rejection a fair bit, even with two missing AS grades.
Reply 49
Tomtomtom910
I'd of thought your GCSE's contributed to your Warwick rejection a fair bit, even with two missing AS grades.

Well yes, it's a contributing factor, I've said many times, I am not thinking 'OMG I've been robbed of my place at Warwick down to this omission in my reference'

I'm not thinking that at all, I just don't know, and that's the worst of it.
Reply 50
Duckzilla
You could have kept your leg horizontal in a cast whilst being in a wheelchair, that's what somebody did in my primary school and they managed through their week's worth of exams.

Yeah but OP was all drugged up on morphine so :/
Reply 51
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3302/warwick.jpg

Notice it says 'your overall academic profile' that includes the two missing AS grades right?
P.S.
The disparities between colour and size would indicate a generic email which I'm sure it is, but it probably is true that the admissions tutors did indicate the academic profile was lacking
i dont understand why people keep bashing OP for this? hes not telling you to get annoyed about why he missed the exams, he's saying he did, he couldnt help it and now wants a question answering! if you cant give him the answer why bother posting a load of crap asking him to justify himself for being away to be quite honest it's none of your business ¬.¬
Reply 53
Care-Free
i dont understand why people keep bashing OP for this? shes not telling you to get annoyed about why she missed the exams, she saying she did, she couldnt help it and now wants a question answering! if you cant give her the answer why bother posting a load of crap asking her to justify herself for being away to be quite honest it's none of your business ¬.¬

*ahem
He :bigsmile: hahaha :smile:

But yes, I find it stressful to explain time and time again :frown:
Jakko247
*ahem
He :bigsmile: hahaha :smile:

But yes, I find it stressful to explain time and time again :frown:

aha yeahh sorry about that...i did notice and go through and change it though (Y) touched by my effort? :P :smile:
just ignore the next person to ask.. :smile:
Reply 55
Who gives a flying **** whether he had a broken ankle or he had been shot. The fact is, if he was hospitalised, awaiting an operation and the doctors felt they had to keep him, it doesn't make a difference if he pleaded or not. The thread isnt about what he could have done to go to his exams. Ive read more "well I know this one guy at reception/primary school/highschool that broke his leg in 18000 places and still did their exams". Ankle breaks vary, just like leg breaks or any other breaks.

You should have asked to look at your reference before it was sent.

If you want to explain the situation, contact each university. Ask for a letter from the consultant who operated on you and photocopy it and attach it with the letter. A lot of universities do an AWARDS scheme (Warwick for example) where you can include your mitigating circumstances.
Reply 56
Eklipz89
Who gives a flying **** whether he had a broken ankle or he had been shot. The fact is, if he was hospitalised, awaiting an operation and the doctors felt they had to keep him, it doesn't make a difference if he pleaded or not. The thread isnt about what he could have done to go to his exams. Ive read more "well I know this one guy at reception/primary school/highschool that broke his leg in 18000 places and still did their exams". Ankle breaks vary, just like leg breaks or any other breaks.

You should have asked to look at your reference before it was sent.

If you want to explain the situation, contact each university. Ask for a letter from the consultant who operated on you and photocopy it and attach it with the letter. A lot of universities do an AWARDS scheme (Warwick for example) where you can include your mitigating circumstances.

Too late I realised this thing about AWARDS haha, I have since emailed Warwick, a copy of which is available a few pages back! :smile:
I did ask to see the reference before he sent it, and I asked twice for him to include this justification for missing those exams....
He never showed me the reference, mainly I would hazard a guess because he forgot, and he also must have forgotten to include these circumstances.
Coming from a community college, it isn't really taken seriously, we see him once a week for 10 mins if we're lucky, and I am not one to nag and beg him to make sure he has sent it, I don't like to be annoying and just trust people to do these things!

But what's done is done hey! :smile:
Reply 57
Your referee doesn't have to show you the reference before it is sent, and many schools have a policy of not allowing this. So asking may not necessarily have helped.
Reply 58
Juno
Your referee doesn't have to show you the reference before it is sent, and many schools have a policy of not allowing this. So asking may not necessarily have helped.

Well based on the fact I know nobody at my college who is applying to a higher regarded university than Sheffield, the references aren't taken very seriously, I never demanded to see it at any point, but I did ask twice for him to include the ankle break fiasco; I imagine he forgot, rather than making a conscience decision to omit the information!
Pink Bullets
So you're suggesting he should have left the hospital against his doctor's orders?

no im saying that a broken ankle is no biggie and they are even worse circumstances where teachers do not mention anything

Latest

Trending

Trending