The Student Room Group

Knocking sound when driving over bumps.

Scroll to see replies

I heard similar rattlings a couple of months back. It turned out that my exhaust was literally hanging by a thread. I just bought a U-bolt and attatched the exhaust back on to the car. It dropped off while I was driving.
I had a Ford Ka and I had the same problem, it was my wishbone arm (suspension). It cost about £250 to get fixed.
sweetnesspink
I had a Ford Ka and I had the same problem, it was my wishbone arm (suspension). It cost about £250 to get fixed.

Ahhh no!! I hope it isn't that then....how long did it take to get fixed?
something_vague
Ahhh no!! I hope it isn't that then....how long did it take to get fixed?

About 4 days, I think. But it was quite a small garage. Also I live in Edinburgh where everything is very expensive! If you live somewhere more reasonable it might not cost you as much!
Haha ohhhh I hope it isn't that then! I live right next to london, everything is expensive here too :frown: Poor little kaa :frown:
Reply 25
It could be a bad shock absorber.
I have a new 2014 ka zetec. I am getting a dull knocking noise when on uneven road around corners etc and all only happens when driving under 40 miles an hour. Doesnt seem to happen driving on long roads. I have it back to Ford and they said it was fixed. Door out of line???? Knocking noisenhapppened as soon as I drove the car away.. Would they exhaust cause this....
I'd say anti roll bar bushing for OP personally. It's always the ARB bushing. If not that then another suspension bushing. Shouldn't be that expensive. You can buy entire front suspension arms for my car with the bushings already pressed in for £30 and it's five or six bolts to swap them over so labour is cheap too. I can't imagine a KA would be much more expensive or complicated.
I would say its your front offside suspension bushes. Fairly common fault on older small cars. Fairly cheap to fix.
your have rubber seals just behind the frount weel not on the frount weel but on a plate supporting the shocks if you look under the car by the frount weel you will see the plate with a bolt and a rubber seal if you can move it it will knock and that may be the knocking when your are driving on a road with pot holes i hope this information helps you but i dont think its the exhaust
I would say it's the front sway bar bushes myself
Best learn about this stuff asap or the garage might try take you for a ride. If all else fails just get them to replace the exhaust and be on your way as about 90% of cars I see in my garage that are older than 10 years old need that replaced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending