The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a Welsh Oral (WJEC, 26th April) and a French Oral (WJEC, 28th April).
For the Welsh, we've written a script to learn (which I haven't learned yet), and for the French, we have 5 scripts to learn (which I haven't done yet). Uh-oh.

Usually, I just read over the lines and repeat them in my head/out loud over and over again. I'm planning on starting to learn them either tomorrow or on Monday (which is nothing but a faint hope, as I know I'll just procrastinate).

What exams do you have? And do you have scripts, or are you supposed to improvise in the exam (my exam board intends improvisation, apparently, but the content needed for an A* is ridiculous and seems somewhat unattainable without prior learning)?
zaidf
I have a Welsh Oral (WJEC, 26th April) and a French Oral (WJEC, 28th April).
For the Welsh, we've written a script to learn (which I haven't learned yet), and for the French, we have 5 scripts to learn (which I haven't done yet). Uh-oh.

Usually, I just read over the lines and repeat them in my head/out loud over and over again. I'm planning on starting to learn them either tomorrow or on Monday (which is nothing but a faint hope, as I know I'll just procrastinate).

What exams do you have? And do you have scripts, or are you supposed to improvise in the exam (my exam board intends improvisation, apparently, but the content needed for an A* is ridiculous and seems somewhat unattainable without prior learning)?

I have a French speaking (not sure on the exam board but will check). Improvisation is a part of it, but only in the role plays and this just means improvising 7/8 basic sentences to get the marks. You can even sort of plan these sentences before I believe as you get to see the roleplay you will act out with the examiner! So what I am doing doesn't seem to be hard as what you are doing?

Apart from that it's all prepared and memorised conversation topics - 5 sheets of 10-15 questions.
Reply 3
Had my german oral last month. Got an A* according to my teacher.

French is in 4 weeks.

This is what I do.

Role play: no preparation required, it's easy
Presentation: Learn the thing off by heart. Time yourself to make sure it's in the time limit. accent needs to be good, with clear pronunciation and higher tier grammer (future, past, word order etc.
Questions on presentation: Our teacher let us choose what questions we wanted to be asked on our presentation, as long as we provided more questions than could be answered. If you're allowed to do this, DO IT. It's an easy way to full marks :wink:
General questions:Improvisation is fun here :biggrin:
WJEC Welsh (short course) is...soon. Not prepared, haven't actually been told what we're doing yet either :lolwut:

My French is 28th April
Am starting revision ASAP, need to learn all the answers to the general questions (eaaasy!) and look at some role plays :bawling:

German is 5/6th May
Need to do the same for French but the questions asked in German seem to be harder!

Good luck everyone! :biggrin:
as_94
Had my german oral last month. Got an A* according to my teacher.

French is in 4 weeks.

This is what I do.

Role play: no preparation required, it's easy
Presentation: Learn the thing off by heart. Time yourself to make sure it's in the time limit. accent needs to be good, with clear pronunciation and higher tier grammer (future, past, word order etc.
Questions on presentation: Our teacher let us choose what questions we wanted to be asked on our presentation, as long as we provided more questions than could be answered. If you're allowed to do this, DO IT. It's an easy way to full marks :wink:
General questions:Improvisation is fun here :biggrin:

That's what my GCSE was (doing A Level now) and I did that for both French and German (A*/A respectively) so I hope I can give some advice to all you GCSE people.

Role Play: DO NOT give a detailed answer. If you look at the mark scheme, you can only lose marks. Just give small but relevant answers eg j'ai joué au foot, ich habe fußball gespielt.

Presentation: Just learn this and keep going over it a lot. Recite it to other people with them holding the sheet and get them to point out parts you got wrong or missed. Then, highlight those parts, learn them, and repeat. That's what me and many others in my classes did.

Questions on presentation: We were given the questions too, so use pretty much the same technique.

General conversation: Like as_94 said, improvisation is fun. We were given the 120 to learn for each language, but there was no way I was learning 240 questions, 2 presentations and 40 post-presentation question answers. The key here is detail. Even if you think your answer is dragging on, so long as what your saying is relevant, keep speaking! Think of this section as 'your time to shine' and show the examiner what you know, because until this point it's very restrictive.

Good luck to everybody! I have my AS oral in a couple of weeks and that's got 100% improv on questions that I don't know are coming up on anything I've done this year with an external examiner!
There's no presentations this year, are there? That's what I was told by my French teacher.
I don't have to do any presentations!
Reply 8
I have Welsh oral the week after the holidays (23rd and 24th) and French oral the week after :frown: it's going to be a hard couple of weeks.

Welsh should be pretty easy, but I'm determined to get my predicted A* in French so I'm bricking it :tongue:

We're doing the WJEC course so it's dead easy, we just make a spiderdiagram in English about each topic - Education, Home Life, Hometown and Region, Holidays and Free Time - and our teacher is asking us questions in French based on that, so all we have to do is learn the bits of vocab we don't already know. I just keep ad-libbing bits because I can never remember, last week in a practice I told my teacher I work 100 hours a week and make £400 a week :biggrin:
omg!!!! ive got french igcse oral the 20th...and i have no idea what it's gunna be like...and...i aint even finished my course yet....!!!! wth am i supposed to do???!!!
I've got my french oral on the 4/5 of May and I need to start doing a little bit of learning for it. I suck at french (haven't learnt the vocab) so need to get going on that. I also need to write down answers to all the questions...although I generally end up saying something completely different from what I actually wrote down. So yeah...nervous (but not enough to start revising - story of my life)
I have my Spanish GCSE Oral on the 26th-30th April, I'm not sure what day precisely. Mine is structured in exactly the same way as yours.

Presentation: I've learnt this off-by-heart, back-to-front. As its supposed to be 90 seconds its the longest answer so our teacher is telling us to make sure we really know it. I learnt this last week and broke it up into 3 sections, I sat down in my room with NO distractions and kinda made up a rhythm for it, I spoke it out loud god knows how many times my mum gave me a funny look ha. Then I went through it and highlighted the line/phrases I struggled to remember. I've put these on cards and stuck them up in my room, so when I walk past I look at it, remember what line comes before it and what comes after it.

Presentation/Discussion Questions: I've learnt these really well as well, only because after my Presentation I don't want to lose marks here and look like a total idiot ^^ Used the same card technique and it has some of the same phrases as my presentation so its not too hard.

Roleplay: Our teacher gave us some examples from a few years ago, although they aren't identical to what we're doing now (the exams were changed) they are very similar. The same topics come up almost every year; these are usually Holidays, Friends, Food, School, Jobs/Work, Visit to the doctors, Booking a Hotel room, Ordering a ticket for bus/train or something. So I'm making a list of general vocab that may come up in each section, and some phrases like 'My ___ hurts (Doctors) or 'Can I book a hotel room for ___ please?'. ALSO I've got a list of question phrases/words they might ask, What, Why, Who with? etc. Don't worry about this because you get 10 minutes before you do it to have a look at your roleplay and write a small script that you can take in. Just be prepared with some vocab and know the questions they might ask.

General Conversation: I'm struggling I admit with this. They only have to be 3 sentence length average depending on the question but there's 60! I'm trying to learn these off by heart but not as much as my Presentation because you can always improvise. The thing is I'm expected an A* so I don't really want to improvise and miss out high-level language.

If anything make sure you include a variety of tenses (past present and future), justified opinions and try and memorize 5 nice high-level phrases. So if you do need to improvise you will be doing it at a high-level.

A great technique I've started to use just today is to record yourself speaking it on your phone or something, then listen to it whilst reading over it on your sheet. It will stick in your head and you will see if you need to improve any pronunciation.

Sorry if this is a little long, good luck! :smile:
German on WJEC - what's everybody doing for their expose?
Reply 13
Spanish 4/5- Piece of cake.
Good luck to everyone doing their GCSE orals and seriously appreciate the fact that you're able to prepare properly for them! :biggrin:

I've got my AS French exam at the end of this month and it's 100% improvised :s-smilie: Really really really nervous!
penrithkeswick
German on WJEC - what's everybody doing for their expose?

I do German on WJEC, we don't do an expose!:s-smilie:
x
Got my French and Spanish coming up (both Edexcel)
I'm terrified, I think I'll be okay with the speaking questions because I can memorise them. The C role plays though! HARD!
Im revising for my french oral right now its in 2 weeks. I write out te questions in english and then answer them all from what I have memorised and record it on to my phone. Then I go back check for mistakes and if there are any I re-revise the section. Then I record myself again.
Reply 18
Ive got my AQA GCSE French on 4th/5th may. Ive learnet about 25 of the 60 questions atm
x_Melissa_x

I've got my AS French exam at the end of this month and it's 100% improvised :s-smilie: Really really really nervous!

Ahhh seriously? That's put me right off AS Language. :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending