The Student Room Group

Applying for Biology/Zoology now?

Hi

I am 20 years old and turned down a place at Bristol doing Chemistry last year because i didn't think i would enjoy course and therefore stick it for 3 years. I didn't intend on going back to Uni (i'm not so into the crazy lifestyle most students seem to love) but after attempting and failing to find something else to do think i should probably go. This time i wish to go for a Biology related course as it is an area that interests me and has done for a long time.

Does anybody know of any/best Unis i can apply to now with a good chance of getting a place. My A-level results were AABBB (A in Bio). If it is very unlikely for me to get a place is there some way i can study the first year from home and then move to campus for the 2nd year? Or any other suggestions. I live in Essex and staying closer to home would be preferable but not essential.

Finally is it best to go about contacting Uni directly or through UCAS.

Any help will be appreciated, the last 6 months have been such a mess as i tried to figure out what to do with my life.

Matt.
UCAS I'd say but you'll need a referee. 5 A-levels? Blimey. What were the subjects that you got your other grades in as some places require more traditional A-levels?
Taking your AAB in to account I'd say you have a pretty favourable choice for where you want to go.
Does academic reputation matter to you? If so I'd say UCL, KCL, Imperial, Royal Holloway etc.
If not, anywhere really except Oxbridge and St. Andrews.
If you apply next year, with those grades I'd say you stand a fair chance of going somewhere really good. The deadline for this year has passed, so some unis may not have enough places left. It's surely worth a shot though? Best of luck to you!
Reply 3
Well this year AABBB would have been high enough to make the offers from UCL, Imperial and St Andrews. At the interview this year UCL said they would have to up their entry requirements for 2011 entry to AAA or A*AA and use interviews to choose students. I would guess that Imperial will be following this and maybe St Andrews.
I would recommend checking UCAS for 2011 courses and uni prospectuses cause entry requirements have increased across unis.
At the moment (2010 entry) i would recommend Bristol, Durham, St Andrews, Imperial, UCL, Nottingham, Bath, Sheffield, Manchester, Leicester, Birmingham. Check prospectuses to make sure that they are not wanting AAA or higher; as i said before i expect UCL, Imperial, St Andrews, Durham and maybe Bristol to be asking for AAA in 2011. And if you want to stay in the south east area then maybe UEA is worth checking out.
Contact the Universties you are interested in and ask them if they still have places available.

You can still apply, certainly, but they are under no obligation to give you equal consideration and so contact them first so you're not wasting a University choice.

I'd imagine that you could get into some top Universities with those grades, but by now i'd imagine the top universities will be filled up.

You could always wait for the next cycle, for 2011 entry :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending