Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Careers in Accountancy Pathways.

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in being an accountant but I dont want to take the degree route into the career, and I've read other topics here about accountancy degrees etc and I think I would be better off not doing a degree to become an accountant.

I have done my gcses this year and predicted B's in almost everything, I'll see next week what I do get and next year I am going to do:

At College:
    Business Studies
    Pyscology
    Law (possibly)

At home: (from Uk-open-learning.com)
    Maths
    English Lit/Lan
    and possibly Accounting, this is the course link tell me what you think of it.
    http://uk-open-learning.com/CartV3/D...?ProductID=255

After that what will I then need to do to become an accountant? How long will it take and will I have the same qualifications as the accountants that done an accountancy degree?<Probably a stupid question. Also could I have any other information I might need.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    if u dont want to take the degree route then u can also join a firm and take the same accountancy qualificatons howeverr i believe that the degree route would be more suitable as gaining a degree will enable u to experience more oppurtuities.

p.s good luck with your results nxt week
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can join an ancountancy firm after your A levels and study fot the AAT and then onto ACA etc. AAT is basically a qualification that school leavers have to do before they can get the ACA and become a fully qualified accountant. Graduates don't do the AAT, they just do the ACA. Have a look on PriceWaterHouseCoopers or KPMG website and search for school leaver opportunities, there will be a lot of information about it there.

Hope this helps,
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    p.s good luck with your results nxt week
    Thanks.

If I were to do a degree I wouldnt really want to do an accountancy degree I would prefer to something different and there is no accounting degrees around here and I dont want to move away.

The only degrees that are available here that I would like to do are as follows:
    Business and Management
    Business Management with Finance
    Business Management with Marketing
    Law (If I done a law degree I would be a lawyer)
    Applied Pyscology (If I done this I would probably be a physcologist)

Could anyone suggest any other careers in finance?

Also what qualifications do you need to be a chartered accountant
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    Thanks.

If I were to do a degree I wouldnt really want to do an accountancy degree I would prefer to something different and there is no accounting degrees around here and I dont want to move away.

The only degrees that are available here that I would like to do are as follows:
    Business and Management
    Business Management with Finance
    Business Management with Marketing
    Law (If I done a law degree I would be a lawyer)
    Applied Pyscology (If I done this I would probably be a physcologist)

Could anyone suggest any other careers in finance?

Also what qualifications do you need to be a chartered accountant
    Out of those degrees the business degrees would be more relevant but you do not need a specific degree to become an accountant. You should do what you think you will enjoy and/or be best at. I have heard of someone with a psychology degree that is now earning £70,000 at PwC in London.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    look here: http://www.pwc.com/uk/eng/car-inexp/...rtunities.html and go to train as a tax or accounting technician.
    If u live near newcastle you could also look at the flying start degree program where u spend 3 months of each year of your degree working with PWC.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^Yea I live near newcastle so thanks for the site
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would an ALevel in accoutancy exempt me from AAT foundation level?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    Would an ALevel in accoutancy exempt me from AAT foundation level?
    yes.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    are you thinking of starting AAT after A-levels?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    are you looking to go to college to study it or do you prefer to do an apprenticeship at an accountancy firm?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to go to college to study it whilst getting experience working somewhere
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh rite. i'm trying to decide whether to do that, or whether to do the AAT school-leaver training schemes at some of the accountancy firms. i've applied to a few places and taken a few tests but i'm still waiting for a response.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I looked on my local connexions site at the apprenticeships available but there was no accounting ones available. I also checked out prospects.ac.uk and visited this part of the site:
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Options_with_your_subject/Your_degree_in_accountancy_and_f inance/Job_options/p!eklgFiL
    and it gave me information about getting training without a degree.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ok well i would advise you to look at the websites of some accountancy firms to check for vacancies for AAT training. there is a list of companies that offer the scheme on the AAT website but i think you need to register an account first
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is the FCA qualification? I was looking on the letterhead of a chartered accountants and most of them had FCA after their name? and the rest had ACA after their names.

Also would the ACCA qualification be unsuitable to work in a chartered accountancy firm?
Updated: August 28, 2005
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.