The Student Room Group

M1 Edexcel - "Dynamics of a particle on an inclined plane" question

2. A box of mass 2kg is pushed up a smooth plane by a horizontal force of magnitude 20N. The plane is inclined to the horizontal at an angle x, where tanx = 3/4.

Find (a) the normal reaction between the box and the plane

Ok so I formed a triangle under the box, with a line going straight down called "mg" (the hypoteneuse). then i drew a line perpendicular to the plane and called it mgcosx. finally a line parallel to the plane called mgsinx.
we know that mg = 2 x 9.8 = 19.6.
we know that angle x is 36.87 from arctan (3/4).

so we calculate that the line perpendicular to the plane is 15.68. i thought this was the normal reaction, however the books answer is 27.7N.

i didn't include the 20N pushing the box up the plane in my calculation and i think thats the problem. so any ideas on what to do with this force?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The 20N force is not parallel to the plane, so there's obviously going to be a component included. Just resolve perpendicular to the plane, including the weight, 20N force and R (reaction force), and the sum of the three forces must be zero due to there being no acceleration in that plane.
Noble.
The 20N force is not parallel to the plane, so there's obviously going to be a component included. Just resolve perpendicular to the plane, including the weight, 20N force and R (reaction force), and the sum of the three forces must be zero due to there being no acceleration in that plane.
R + mg + 20N = 0
R + 19.6 + 20 = 0
R = -39.6?
Reply 3
dumb maths student
R + mg + 20N = 0
R + 19.6 + 20 = 0
R = -39.6?

Erm, not quite. The key word was resolve.

R is the only force that is acting perpendicular to the plane, both the weight and the horizontal forces are not.
Noble.
Erm, not quite. The key word was resolve.

R is the only force that is acting perpendicular to the plane, both the weight and the horizontal forces are not.
how do i resolve with that 20N force?

do i make a seperate triangle with mg going straight down and 20N going to the right? because the hypoteneuse created is the opposite direction of the perpendicular force
Reply 5
dumb maths student
how do i resolve with that 20N force?

do i make a seperate triangle with mg going straight down and 20N going to the right? because the hypoteneuse created is the opposite direction of the perpendicular force

The 20N force is horizontal, you know the angle between the horizontal force and the slope, it's the same as the angle the slope is inclined to. You want to resolve it so that it's perpendicular, so it would be 20sin(x) (where x is the angle the slope is inclined to).

The weight is directly down, so creates a triangle in itself. The weight must be (90-x) degrees from the slope. So when resolving perpendicular to the slope you get sin(90-x) which is equivalent to cos(x)

R - 20sinx - 2gcosx = 0
Noble.
The 20N force is horizontal, you know the angle between the horizontal force and the slope, it's the same as the angle the slope is inclined to. You want to resolve it so that it's perpendicular, so it would be 20sin(x) (where x is the angle the slope is inclined to).

The weight is directly down, so creates a triangle in itself. The weight must be (90-x) degrees from the slope. So when resolving perpendicular to the slope you get sin(90-x) which is equivalent to cos(x)

R - 20sinx - 2gcosx = 0
so in the triangle.. 20N is the horizontal line at the bottom, and mg is vertically above it on the left? then the hyptoneu..... is in the same direction as the normal reaction.

so where does the 2gcosx pop in? surely there are only 2 forces acting perpendicular to the box?
wtf.. the triangle is a right angle, why does mg make a (90-x) degree angle on the slope if 20N is horizontal?
dumb maths student
2. A box of mass 2kg is pushed up a smooth plane by a horizontal force of magnitude 20N. The plane is inclined to the horizontal at an angle x, where tanx = 3/4.

Find (a) the normal reaction between the box and the plane

Ok so I formed a triangle under the box, with a line going straight down called "mg" (the hypoteneuse). then i drew a line perpendicular to the plane and called it mgcosx. finally a line parallel to the plane called mgsinx.
we know that mg = 2 x 9.8 = 19.6.
we know that angle x is 36.87 from arctan (3/4).

so we calculate that the line perpendicular to the plane is 15.68. i thought this was the normal reaction, however the books answer is 27.7N.

i didn't include the 20N pushing the box up the plane in my calculation and i think thats the problem. so any ideas on what to do with this force?

Thanks for the PM.

The calculation you done is absolutely correct as far as I can tell in the situation where the 20N force doesn't act on the box. However lets now take in to account the 20N force in our calculations in order to find the normal reaction, R. In order to do this we resolve the forces perpendicular and parallel to the plane;

f=ma, on the 2kg box, taking down the slope as the positive direction.

-20cos(arctan(3/4)) + 2gsin(arctan(3/4)) + Rsin(arctan(3/4)) = 0 as no acceleration so ma=0 (right hand side). You know everything in here apart from R, so rearrange it and find R.
Reply 9
dumb maths student
wtf.. the triangle is a right angle, why does mg make a (90-x) degree angle on the slope if 20N is horizontal?

The weight has absolutely nothing to do with the 20N horizontal force. No offence, but the questions you're asking are the fundamental basics of M1. It'll be a lot easier if you go back over the book and make sure you fully understand it, as opposed to me trying to explain what the book has already said.
mathperson
Thanks for the PM.

The calculation you done is absolutely correct as far as I can tell in the situation where the 20N force doesn't act on the box. However lets now take in to account the 20N force in our calculations in order to find the normal reaction, R. In order to do this we resolve the forces perpendicular and parallel to the plane;

-20cos(arctan(3/4)) + 2gsin(arctan(3/4)) + Rsin(arctan(3/4)) = 0 as no acceleration so ma=0 (right hand side). You know everything in here apart from R, so rearrange it and find R.
hi, thanks for the help.

what i still don't understand is what triangle u make to obtain the values like -20cos(arctan(3/4)) and 2gsin(arctan(3/4)) etc.

can u tell me what the sides of the triangle are, i'm sure i'll understand everything from there. thanks
Noble.
The weight has absolutely nothing to do with the 20N horizontal force. No offence, but the questions you're asking are the fundamental basics of M1. It'll be a lot easier if you go back over the book and make sure you fully understand it, as opposed to me trying to explain what the book has already said.
i have the book in front of me and it doesn't explain sh!t. i would have finished M1 months ago if this part of the chapter was explained properly.
Reply 12
mathperson
Thanks for the PM.

You can't resolve R to the line of slope because the angle it always makes with the slope is 90 degrees and cos90 = 0.
Reply 13
dumb maths student
i have the book in front of me and it doesn't explain sh!t. i would have finished M1 months ago if this part of the chapter was explained properly.

Which book?
Noble.
Which book?
the standard edexcel one (new). purple/orange. it has a very very VERY poor explanation.
wow i am so confused..

what are the sides of the triangle with 20 in it? that's all i need to know
dumb maths student
hi, thanks for the help.

what i still don't understand is what triangle u make to obtain the values like -20cos(arctan(3/4)) and 2gsin(arctan(3/4)) etc.

can u tell me what the sides of the triangle are, i'm sure i'll understand everything from there. thanks

OK the triangles are made as follows...

-20cos(arctan(3/4) : The minus is there because we said that down the slope is the positive direction and the component of the 20N force acting parallel to the plane is up the slope (pushing the box up the slope). Now, the 20N force acts horizontally, make the 20N vector (or 'line') the hypotheneuse (yeah spelling I know!) and make a right angles triangle using 2 other sides linked to it.

2gsin(arctan(3/4)) : no negative sign because it acts down the slope which we have defined to be the positive direction. The weight acts streight down (not perpendicular to the plane, but vertically downwards), again use this as a hypotheneuse and make a right angled triangle, do the same with the normal reaction that acts perpendicular to the plane.

ALWAYS USE RIGHT ANGLED TRIANGLES WHEN RESOLVING FORCES, AND ALWAYS RESOLVE PARALLEL AND PERPENDICULAR TO THE PLANE ON INCLINED PLANE QUESTIONS, THEN DO F=MA USING THE COMPONENTS OF THE FORCES PARALLEL OR PERPENDICULAR (but don't confuse the forces acting parallel and perpendicular!)

Is that OK?
Noble.
You can't resolve R to the line of slope because the angle it always makes with the slope is 90 degrees and cos90 = 0.

I'm sorry could you explain that a little clearer please. Thanks.
You don't use the angle that R makes with the plane, but the angle of the plane with the horizontal (you can use 'Z-angles' to find angles within the triangle involving R and it's components).
mathperson
OK the triangles are made as follows...

-20cos(arctan(3/4) : The minus is there because we said that down the slope is the positive direction and the component of the 20N force acting parallel to the plane is up the slope (pushing the box up the slope). Now, the 20N force acts horizontally, make the 20N vector (or 'line') the hypotheneuse (yeah spelling I know!) and make a right angles triangle using 2 other sides linked to it.
why is 20N the hypotenuse if it acts horizontally?
dumb maths student
why is 20N the hypotenuse if it acts horizontally?

It doesn't matter which direction it acts, if you want to find the components of a force, treat the force under consideration as the hypotenuse and form a right angled triangle around it.

Quick Reply

Latest