The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Changing degree

I know this may be a naive question (and I am honestly sorry to ask), but I just realized I made some uninformed, bordering on absurd decisions about my application.

Basically, I want to know if there is any possibility to transfer from the Physics Department to the Mathematics Department at UCL, during the first few weeks (and if possible, what would be the procedure).

And now if you care to read some background info that led me to this mess:

I wasn't sure whether I wanted to do Maths or something related to Medicine, so I applied for Medical Physics at some unis and Mathematics with Computer Science at others.
I received an offer from UCL for Medical Physics (I would have opted for Maths, but they didn't offer a joint degree with Computer Science), but now I don't think I'd really want to do Physics and I am completely lost as to what will I do after graduating.
Maths seems to open up more opportunities, and I enjoy it much more than Physics. I now regret not applying for Mathematics at UCL, because everything about it sounds lovely (from the uni itself to accommodation etc)
I know the course is more competitive than Medical Physics (A*AA as opposed to AAB), but I will definitely meet the requirements anyway.
I wouldn't like to waste a year doing and paying for a course I may not enjoy, only to be back at square one the next year, but I might even do that if it's the only option.
Reply 1
Runincircles
I know this may be a naive question (and I am honestly sorry to ask), but I just realized I made some uninformed, bordering on absurd decisions about my application.

Basically, I want to know if there is any possibility to transfer from the Physics Department to the Mathematics Department at UCL, during the first few weeks (and if possible, what would be the procedure).

I wasn't sure whether I wanted to do Maths or something related to Medicine, so I applied for Medical Physics at some unis and Mathematics with Computer Science at others.
I received an offer from UCL for Medical Physics (I would have opted for Maths, but they didn't offer a joint degree with Computer Science), but now I don't think I'd really want to do Physics and I am completely lost as to what will I do after graduating.
Maths seems to open up more opportunities, and I enjoy it much more than Physics. I now regret not applying for Mathematics at UCL, because everything about it sounds lovely (from the uni itself to accommodation etc)
I know the course is more competitive than Medical Physics (A*AA as opposed to AAB), but I will definitely meet the requirements anyway.
I wouldn't like to waste a year doing and paying for a course I may not enjoy, only to be back at square one the next year, but I might even do that if it's the only option.

Ring up the Maths department and ask. Worst possible outcome is that they say no (your current offer won't be affected).
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Well, it might not be the same at UCL, but I applied to do physics at Glasgow and ended up taking chemistry, biology and maths since an acceptance to do physics was basically an acceptance into any science.
Reply 3
Hello Laura!
Well, it might not be the same at UCL, but I applied to do physics at Glasgow and ended up taking chemistry, biology and maths since an acceptance to do physics was basically an acceptance into any science.

It's almost certainly not the same.
Reply 4
Hello Laura!

the scottish system is different to the english 1
Runincircles

A guy on my floor tried to transfer in to the maths department and was given an unconditional offer for next year...
Reply 6
Just call up and ask. The worst they can do is say no, they won't take away your physics offer. It's much better to ask them now and if they say no you can maybe take a year out and reapply, rather than have them say no .

The procedure for changing courses at UCL is fairly simple. You go and see your departmental tutor and discuss with them the reasons for changing. Then you're sent to go and talk to the departmental tutor in the department you want to move to. You need their permission, and that of the head of faculty you're moving to, as well as permissions from your current department and faculty. But in practise, if the departmental tutor for maths says they'll take you, everyone else also gives permission. You normally have four weeks between the start of term and the deadline for chaging. I changed at the end of October this year and was moaned at for "leaving it so late"!
Reply 7
Why dont you send an email to math department and ask for transfer?
I encountered the same problem as yours. But, I sent the email to the corresponding department. Finally, I transfered from math + stat to econ + stat.
paddy
It's almost certainly not the same.

Cheers for the neg rep, you 'bloody moron'.

I was just saying. It might have been the same, **** sake.
Reply 9
Hello Laura!
Cheers for the neg rep, you 'bloody moron'.

I was just saying. It might have been the same, **** sake.

You know nothing about UCL. Get out.

And expect to be negged again next month :mmm:
paddy
You know nothing about UCL. Get out.

And expect to be negged again next month :mmm:

I'm sure that would count as a personal attack, which is apparently against the rules!
Reply 11
Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to email the Maths department although I have irrational fear of doing it :blushing: .

Lizia
I changed at the end of October this year and was moaned at for "leaving it so late"!

That sounds amazing, I didn't dare to hope it was actually possible. If you don't mind me asking, what department did you choose upon changing?
Reply 12
Hello Laura!
I'm sure that would count as a personal attack, which is apparently against the rules!

It's still gonna happen :awesome:

I think you'll find I can rep whomever I wish for whatever reason.

Buh-bye now :h:
I would definitely do it now before you arrive.

Some oversubscribed subjects will flat out refuse.
Reply 14
I would ask, but I'm not very sure how to word it. Should I go into detail about the reasons that made me want to switch ( Is it risky in any way? Could they cancel my already existent offer because I show "lack of commitment" for the course or something among those lines ?) or should I ask briefly, in a more general manner about the possibility of changing my degree within my first year ?
Reply 15
UCL do offer a joint maths and computer science degree. It's just under a different name: "mathematical computation" but it's still basically a joint maths and computer science degree. It's relatively new; I think about 3-4 years old.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending