The Student Room Group

En Suite or Shared Bathrooms?

Scroll to see replies

dhr90
This.

Many a laugh has been had with shared bathrooms in my flat.

Indeed. Many linked with drunkeness! It sort of brings you together somehow.
Reply 21
I had an ensuite first time I went to uni. And getting one when I next go, this though is because my accommodation doesn't offer shared.
First time, I don't think sharing would have been bad. I was worried before, and while its a luxury to have your own facilities at any time you like from your room, actually its just a luxury. Wouldn't spent £40 a week on them. That's silly money :s-smilie:
Reply 22
Really depends on the people you're living with. Its a luxury and if you can save £40 a week - Say for 32 weeks, then thats £1280! Just purchase some flip flops and you're stopping yourself spend a lot of money.
Reply 23
I probably wont get one because of the cost but if i did it would be for other peoples benefit not mine. When i drop a bomb the whole world can smell it.
Reply 24
James4d
Just wondering. En suite rooms seem to be around 40 quid a week more than the basic rooms- is it worth it, or better to keep an extra 40 a week?

£40 more??? :O where I'm going en-suite is only £8 more or something.
Reply 25
students sharing bathrooms generally arn't considerate about it because theyre no longer at home and arnt going to have mum pulling them up about the massive turd they left stuck to the side of the toilet bowl. students are generally disgusting with sharing toilets/showers because they can get away with it.

For example, about a week ago i went to have a shower and descovered the bottom of the cubicle covered in mud/grit. the perpetrator hasnt bothered to clean their mess up, and they never will, so im having to wear flip flops in the shower now. lovely.
Reply 26
im not actually that bothered about sharing or not tbh. ok, it would be nice to have your own shower and toilet etc, but there are only two real plus points.

1. You can shower and go toilet whenever you want. So if youre in a hurry and all the toilets/showers are taken, youll have to wait (although i cant imagine this happening very often)

2. You and only you use it, so you know whats happened in there lol

i cant see any real need to have to go specifically ensuite, you might get put with bad people or something but so? I mean, even if its only £10 extra a week, thats still £400 you couldve spent on something else, and youre going to have to eventually share in the second and/or third year.
Reply 27
ok, that would be slightly annoying :P but it cant be that hard to spray it yourself? dont you get cleaners?

Ham22
students sharing bathrooms generally arn't considerate about it because theyre no longer at home and arnt going to have mum pulling them up about the massive turd they left stuck to the side of the toilet bowl. students are generally disgusting with sharing toilets/showers because they can get away with it.

For example, about a week ago i went to have a shower and descovered the bottom of the cubicle covered in mud/grit. the perpetrator hasnt bothered to clean their mess up, and they never will, so im having to wear flip flops in the shower now. lovely.
Reply 28
JoshC
ok, that would be slightly annoying :P but it cant be that hard to spray it yourself? dont you get cleaners?

occasionally some men come round in boiler suits (or perhaps bio-hazard suits) and clean the shower room. i dont know when their next visit may be.
spraying it wouldnt do anything, it needs to be scooped out and the plug hole basically 'excavated' as its almost completley blocked with this crap along with a nice load of thick, black hair :puke:. im not putting my hands anywhere near that floor or the mud (slight germophobe). :s-smilie: and since i didnt do it, why should i?!
Reply 29
Ham22
occasionally some men come round in boiler suits (or perhaps bio-hazard suits) and clean the shower room. i dont know when their next visit may be.
spraying it wouldnt do anything, it needs to be scooped out and the plug hole basically 'excavated' as its almost completley blocked with this crap along with a nice load of thick, black hair :puke:. im not putting my hands anywhere near that floor or the mud (slight germophobe). :s-smilie: and since i didnt do it, why should i?!

XD! lmao it sounds like a right mess! Do all universities only get cleaned like this? i know when ive been and seen some accommodation they say the kitchens get cleaned weekly (if its tidy!) but was never told about showers :P
Reply 30
Hell yeah. Who wants to share a bathroom? Gross.

Although it depends if it was like the choice of £100 (share) to £140 (ensuite) per week or if it was like £60 (share) to £100 (ensuite). If it was the latter case then I'd definitely go for ensuite without a second thought. But if it was the former, then I might think a bit about it. Depends on the cost overall tbh, not the £40 per week difference.

To be honest though I'd still go for ensuite, I really don't wanna share with strange people. Second year with people I know, I could handle...
Reply 31
Tefhel
Hell yeah. Who wants to share a bathroom? Gross.

Although it depends if it was like the choice of £100 (share) to £140 (ensuite) per week or if it was like £60 (share) to £100 (ensuite). If it was the latter case then I'd definitely go for ensuite without a second thought. But if it was the former, then I might think a bit about it. Depends on the cost overall tbh, not the £40 per week difference.

To be honest though I'd still go for ensuite, I really don't wanna share with strange people. Second year with people I know, I could handle...

Is any uni accommodation £140!? i think the most ive seen is £110.
My first choice for next year is En-Suite because at home our hot water is temperamental which seriously impedes my shower times. So to be able to bask in my shower would be neat, as the well the fact that there is only 8/10 pounds in it but I'm not too arsed if I get my 2nd/3rd choices, the communal bathroom won't bother me at all...£40 though is ridiculous :O.
Reply 33
100000% worth it, that's what i'm doing when i go uni
i'll actually go insane and never go to the toilet if i had to share with strangers, if you're like me then it's worth having the reassurance that people aren't leaving their pubes around for you to step on or having a piss in the sink
Reply 34
JoshC
Is any uni accommodation £140!? i think the most ive seen is £110.

London. That is like £130, and if you have to go for one of those outside of uni Student accomodation companies you are looking at like £180 a week.

If the most expensive you are looking at is £110 then yes I would go for that without a doubt. Depends how hard up you are I suppose, I don't really know about that...
I guess it's a personal thing really. I think more girls are concerned about getting their own bathroom too. If it doesn't bother you at all, then I wouldn't bother. If you get up for a wee through out the night (line me :smile: ) or you have a hygeine concern then go for it. Personal choice :smile:
Reply 36
Tefhel
London. That is like £130, and if you have to go for one of those outside of uni Student accomodation companies you are looking at like £180 a week.

If the most expensive you are looking at is £110 then yes I would go for that without a doubt. Depends how hard up you are I suppose, I don't really know about that...

ah london. thats why ive never seen any more than £110 :p:
I have an en suite and I'm glad I do because they guys I live with are disgusting and can't even keep the kitchen vaguely hygienic...
We didn't have a choice, all the rooms were en-suite, tbh I wouldn't have liked non ensuite for a couple of reasons. One, because when I'm hungover I don'y want anything to do with anyone - I just kept food supplies in my room and would disappear for a day or, in extreme cases, two. Heh. Also I have an uncommon love of showering - especially drunk - and the wetroom style ensuites are absolutely genius. I would get in at 4am totally wasted, strip off, and lie flat out on the floor with the shower on me for well over an hour. You can't get away with that in shared showers :biggrin:. And... you wouldn't want to anyway...

Quick Reply

Latest