The Student Room Group

En Suite or Shared Bathrooms?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marsha2112

Original post by Marsha2112
I got an ensuite and am so pleased I did. I don't even mind mould in the kitchen, but I just can't deal with a grim bathroom.
It just occurred to me... do people who have ensuites tend to be people who like to keep their kitchens tidy?
Original post by fluteflute
It just occurred to me... do people who have ensuites tend to be people who like to keep their kitchens tidy?

Probably, but I'm an exception to that. I'm generally really messy, at any 1 time I have a large pile of crockery with curdled milk and solidified pasta in...I just couldn't face sharing bathrooms. Other people's hair and bodily fluids all over the place, walking down the corridor in a towel, etc. And the whole "oh it's really sociable" - since when do people have discussions while doing bathroom-related functions??

Not at all.

Yes and no- depends on the flatmates!

But, sadly, in my case, in my first PhD year, I was stuck with some really untidy flatmates :frown: Second and third year not so bad!

I ended up keeping all my saucepans, plates, foods etc in my room as everyone seemed to use my stuff and subsequently damage my stuff! :mad:
Reply 384
Shared bathrooms are fine. Keep the extra money for alcohol (or whatever else may take your fancy)!
Are shared bathrooms always cleaned by university cleaners? I'm just worried because the only public bathrooms I've been used to is the ones at my school, and those are horrific, though the sixth form ones are a bit cleaner atleast.
I had a shared bathroom last year and it was honestly fine. I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money on getting an en suite.
Reply 387
Just used the bathroom now. Someone smeared period blood all over the seat, floor, and even left some in the toilet water. I almost fainted from the sight (don't like blood).

Poor girl.
Original post by A level Az
Are shared bathrooms always cleaned by university cleaners? I'm just worried because the only public bathrooms I've been used to is the ones at my school, and those are horrific, though the sixth form ones are a bit cleaner atleast.

It shouldn't be that bad, considering that's shared between an entire school :P
As for it being cleaned by university cleaners, it depends on the university I think. My brother didn't have his shared bathroom cleaned.
I have IBS and to be honest, I'd hate it and I don't think it'd be fair on the others who shared the bathroom if I share :frown: so I'm definitely hoping to get an en-suite next year.
After three years in standard, I've now got an ensuite room [it was the only choice]. Whilst I stand by the benefits of shared bathrooms - cost wise, obviously - I do quite like having a bathroom of my own, especially when it comes to having a shower and getting ready afterwards etc. It is nice not to have to walk down a public corridor in a towel lol! :smile:
Basically it's getting to that time of year when we have to apply and my choices are Bath Spa and Oxford Brookes. i want to know people's opinions on accommodation choices, is it ok to have shared bathrooms? im worried about having to share with someone really unhygenic! so is it better to have en-suite or not? Bath spa dont have many en-suite so if i wanted to have one, realistically i'd be looking at living off campus, is that a good choice in first year, or is it better to live on campus? thanks in advance for the help!x
Leading on from my original post, will there be somewhere on accommodation application forms to state that I have IBS? Having en-suite accommodation is a deciding factor in my choices of uni, because it's such an important thing to me, so will there be somewhere I can put it down just to make sure the accommodation people are aware?
Original post by madders94
Leading on from my original post, will there be somewhere on accommodation application forms to state that I have IBS? Having en-suite accommodation is a deciding factor in my choices of uni, because it's such an important thing to me, so will there be somewhere I can put it down just to make sure the accommodation people are aware?

There should be, yeah. Different people have different health reasons for needing certain types of accommodation all the time and more often than not the uni has specific housing arrangements for such people. There's normally somewhere to tell them about any of these issues :smile:
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
There should be, yeah. Different people have different health reasons for needing certain types of accommodation all the time and more often than not the uni has specific housing arrangements for such people. There's normally somewhere to tell them about any of these issues :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
I had an en-suite in my first year which I did prefer, but I had friends who lived in halls with shared bathrooms and I used to live over in their halls most of the time. Its not that bad sharing as long as people are reasonably considerate when it comes to keeping it tidy. The people who lived there usually only had something to complain about a few times in the year!
My cousin is on ersmus exchange in denmark he's in a shared apartment with an american and a Chinese guy, the Chinese guy had some sort of exploding diarrhoea one morning spraying the walls, floor and somehow the ceiling and just left it and went to his classes :smile: They took pics and got him kicked out, after hearing from him I think I'd want an en-suite if I ever had to share!!

Extreme case obviously, the most your normally going to worry about is hairs in the sink.
(edited 12 years ago)
I had a shared bathroom last year and you know what, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! No-one needed the toilet at the same time (there were two anyway) and they were kept relatively clean.
Have my own bathroom this year and love it! Definitely prefer it although sharing wasn't as bad as I initially thought. Just depends on what you prefer and whether you evaluate an en-suite to be worth the extra money :smile:
Ensuite. Sharing bathrooms would be horrible. :frown:
Reply 399
Go for the ensuite :smile: I'm having a really hard time getting used to shared bathrooms right now so yeah... (gets quite messy when flatmates are party freaks)

Quick Reply

Latest