The Student Room Group

En Suite or Shared Bathrooms?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Bit of a bummer when it's your turn for the tap end :frown:
Reply 441
I think its fine! There's 6 of us in our house, 3 toilets & 2 showers.
It's maybe a bit grosser than being at home but that's just cos we're all lazy! It's nowhere near as horrendous as people make out though.

Although last week my housemate was sick in the bath. Like, literally all over the bath. Haha, he just cleaned it up though & then all was good again. :smile:
Reply 442
Sharing a bathroom with one guy, not a problem at all, we both keep it clean and occasionally shower together to save on water. Few of my friends have to share one bathroom with 8 people though, it's usually disgusting and they prefer to shower elsewhere.
Reply 443
Depends on who and how many you share with. When I was at university I shared with this girl who was a ****ing nightmare. She would be in there for hours at a time, have sex with her boyfriend in there, not clear up after herself, use half of my products and worse of all was that she had really long, thick, dark hair, half of which would be left all over the place. Just an absolute nightmare.

That said, where I'm living now I share a bathroom and it's smooth sailing, absolutely no problem at all.
Shared with 5 girls in first year - two toilets, one shower - was fine.
Shared with 4 girls in second year - two toilets, one shower - was fine, though there was a (not used) pad stuck to the loo seat once.
Shared with 2 girls in third year - one toilet, one bath, one shower - rank, flatmates quite happily leave used sanitary waste lying around :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 445
In halls it's fine as someone cleans it, but in a shared house it's always rubbish. And by the end of the year, you'll keep your toilet roll in your room and take it with you to the toilet and back each time as there's always one person who will never ever buy it.
First year: 3 bathrooms between 11 (so 3 showers and 3 toilets).
Second year: 2 bathrooms between 7 (but you could only use 1 shower at a time, or freezing water appeared!)
Third year: 2 bathrooms between 5 (1 bath+shower, 1 shower)
Masters: 1 shower, 2 toilets between 6.

I've never had any problems. In first year we had a bloke who obviously didn't have a good diet, but we shouted at him enough until he learnt to use the toilet brush...

We were all best mates 1-3 (minus a few in yr1) and so if there ever were any problems or people hogging the shower, we'd just end up outside serenading them, or yelling inanely, until they came out. Final year with 5 girls on a night out was always fun though. we'd book slots in the two hours preceding :biggrin:

I think you've always got the chance of sharing with selfish people, or people who just don't understand what it means to be clean..but tbh I think the bathroom is usually a clean oasis in comparison to the kitchen =p
Reply 447
Original post by Derfel
Sharing a bathroom with one guy, not a problem at all, we both keep it clean and occasionally shower together to save on water. Few of my friends have to share one bathroom with 8 people though, it's usually disgusting and they prefer to shower elsewhere.

Too much info :eek:
Reply 448
Im finding it difficult to imagine myself sharing a toilet next year.
Reply 449
Original post by Dbrown18

Same here

In what way, may I ask? At home I share one bathroom between 5, so coming to university there was really no need for me to share a bathroom. It's 3 bathrooms/toilets between 14, and I've never had to wait to have a shower.
Reply 451
Original post by James4d
Just wondering. En suite rooms seem to be around 40 quid a week more than the basic rooms- is it worth it, or better to keep an extra 40 a week?

I have ensuite and I absolutely love it tbh. I don't have to fit when I want a shower around when other people want a shower. And I don't have to walk down the corridor looking like a tramp in the middle of the night just to go to the loo. I can keep all my stuff where I like, I just have more space basically. It's up to you but personally I'm really glad I didn't go with shared.
However - if one of your main worries about uni is managing finances, this might be one of the things you might want to miss out.

Edit - just realised how old the thread is haha. Hopefully my post might help someone out there :P
Reply 452
Original post by abc:)
I have ensuite and I absolutely love it tbh. I don't have to fit when I want a shower around when other people want a shower. And I don't have to walk down the corridor looking like a tramp in the middle of the night just to go to the loo. I can keep all my stuff where I like, I just have more space basically. It's up to you but personally I'm really glad I didn't go with shared.
However - if one of your main worries about uni is managing finances, this might be one of the things you might want to miss out.

Edit - just realised how old the thread is haha. Hopefully my post might help someone out there :P

I was going to say :tongue: this threads nearly 2 years old! Been living at uni sans en suite and it's fine tbh, well worth the money you save (although have to agree it would have been a nice convenience).
Reply 453
I cant use public sh**ters. They freak me out. And i cant deal with walking in there and theres a log stain in it. I just cant share the toilet.
Is it just me who finds it creepy to have a sink inside your bedroom?
Original post by agoetcherian
Is it just me who finds it creepy to have a sink inside your bedroom?
Not creepy, but a bit strange it's true...
Flat of 14, 3 toilets and 2 showers. It can get pretty crowded if theres a party with loads of people round but usually not a problem in terms of cleanliness or anything.
Original post by James4d
Just wondering. En suite rooms seem to be around 40 quid a week more than the basic rooms- is it worth it, or better to keep an extra 40 a week?

depends how many people will be sharing in the basic rooms (it should say)

as I'm personally sharing 2 bathrooms with 4 others.....and my room has a double bed and is huge :biggrin:

and I pay less than those with single beds, smaller rooms and ensuite.....even though I get the toilet and kitchen cleaned 4 times a week and have never had a problem
haha! at home i have to share one bathroom with 6 other people... and our shower leaks through the seeling so our showers have to be very short and not many can have one on the same day after eachother... now THAT sucks. but you learn to live with it..

tbh i don't mind if i hav an en-suite or shared bathroom facilities at uni but i guess the privacy would be nice :smile:
En suites are a complete waste of money in my opinion. I don't know how many people share our shower room/toilets as i live on a corridor and there are male/female bathrooms in various places in the hall. I'm guessing around 10 of us, but i have NEVER seen another person in there and they are usually left in a decent condition, apart from the odd time where someone has chundered everywhere in one of the toilets. Besides, if they are ever in a poor condition i can simply go further along the corridor and use another bathroom.

I have a wash basin in my room and I have found that to be more than sufficient. I prefer the privacy when brushing my teeth, shaving, getting ready etc.

Quick Reply

Latest