The Student Room Group

En Suite or Shared Bathrooms?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by llessur123
The only thing preventing me from getting an en-suite is I have this idea in my head that if you get one you will somehow be isolated from the others? This makes no sense but it seems to be firmly stuck in my head. If you get en suite are you stuck somewhere down a huge corridor? Whereas everyone else will be in one place sharing a bathroom?

That sounds even more ridiculous when I write it down, whatever.

it's more awkward to have people over or to have a party because to use the loo it has to be your loo, in your room and some people really don't like that
Original post by Bohedie
it's more awkward to have people over or to have a party because to use the loo it has to be your loo, in your room and some people really don't like that

Hmm, that's not really the problem though, I seem to have an image in my head. I can't describe it so I went to paint and did a beautiful drawing, I am pretty talented.

bathrrooom.png

Anyway I don't think it really matters because 3/4 places I'm applying to have en-suites in every room.
Reply 502
Original post by llessur123
Hmm, that's not really the problem though, I seem to have an image in my head. I can't describe it so I went to paint and did a beautiful drawing, I am pretty talented.

bathrrooom.png

Anyway I don't think it really matters because 3/4 places I'm applying to have en-suites in every room.

Naa so long as you have a shared kitchen and living space you'll all bond just fine :]
I'm currenhtly trying to sort Accommodation and cant decide!

I'm a male and a clean person. I can't decide! :/
Original post by Average_Aaron
I'm currenhtly trying to sort Accommodation and cant decide!

I'm a male and a clean person. I can't decide! :/

Go for shared, pocket the roughly £20 a week it costs extra for en suite, spend on beer.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Go for shared, pocket the roughly £20 a week it costs extra for en suite, spend on beer.

will women let me watch them poo?
Original post by Average_Aaron
will women let me watch them poo?

It turns them on, most of them will want you to catch it with your tongue.
I'm trying to book my accommodation for Manchester Met for next year but i'm shocked at how expensive halls are! So my questions are if anyone knows the Manchester Met halls which one would they recommend and is it worth going for an en-suite room for £8 more a week, totally at about £500 more a year rather than a standard room? I'm a bit worried about how to pay for everything because my maintenance loan won't cover it if I go for an en-suite room, but i was planning on getting a job anyway.
Thanks to anyone who replies!! :smile:
Reply 508
Most people prior to going to university will say that they "need" an en-suite room. Very few people say the same thing after finishing their first year, and most would have preferred the extra cash over saving 5 seconds walk.

To be honest though, £8 a week isn't too much extra (some places are upto £30 or so more per week), but to be honest there's very little benefit in having an en-suite room unless the general quality of the room is better too. If it's the same sort of room, but simply with an en-suite then it's rarely worth the extra cash.
Original post by koalafacey
I'm trying to book my accommodation for Manchester Met for next year but i'm shocked at how expensive halls are! So my questions are if anyone knows the Manchester Met halls which one would they recommend and is it worth going for an en-suite room for £8 more a week, totally at about £500 more a year rather than a standard room? I'm a bit worried about how to pay for everything because my maintenance loan won't cover it if I go for an en-suite room, but i was planning on getting a job anyway.

You should never count on being able to get a job. Either way I'd still go shared because if you are lucky enough to get a job then the extra cash can be used for other purposes.
Reply 510
Original post by Bohedie

I really wouldn't like this! I shared a bathroom and a room in fact on my ski season, but for some reason I have picked sort of ensuite accomadation where you share a bathroom with the person next to you. Oops.
Original post by Bohedie

I'd not thought of this before :O i wouldnt want pissed guys using my toilet....
does it make me a pervert if i don’t care about girls using my toilet but i would with guys? Lol
Original post by madders94
I have IBS and to be honest, I'd hate it and I don't think it'd be fair on the others who shared the bathroom if I share :frown: so I'm definitely hoping to get an en-suite next year.

I don't know if you still have IBS, but I stumbled upon this and it may be of use to you:

http://www.naturalnews.com/021858.html

I, personally, have never had IBS, but there are loads of documented (forums, etc.) reports of curing it.
This is my problem, there are two blocks in the halls I want, one block is quite old, the rooms are small with a single bed, its a bit dark and 'dingy' but still clean and great halls compared to others! These rooms have an en-suite with a bath shower. £65 a week.

The other block has massive windows, every thing's brand new, massive rooms with double bed, and massive kitchens, but toilets are shared (you get a shower and sink in your room, I think this is really strange), but £75 a week!

Can't decide!
At my uni an ensuite costs roughly £1000-£1500 more than a shared bathroom, and to me, this was never worth the money. I didn't put any ensuite accommodation in my list of choices and sharing a bathroom in halls was absolutely fine. Between five of us we had a shower and two toilets. Everyone is in and out of the flat at different times and so noone really had to wait for a shower. If you think about it two toilets and a shower is pretty similar to what you've had at home for the last eighteen years! And even if the shared bathroom accommodation is a bit dingy, you usually find that the cheaper halls are the most fun. I lived in a dump compared to what some of my friends in posher accommodation had, but my hall was the one known for its crazy party lifestyle and many people who were paying a lot more money wished they'd lived where I had for the social life!
Original post by koalafacey

I've gone for shared because the girl who did the tour said it would be cleaner than an ensuite because it gets cleaned a couple of times a week.

Also, with MMU are you not entitled to the Student Support Package? £4000 (£3000 in first year) if your household income is less than £25000. Details - http://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/money-matters/ssp.php
Reply 516
I'm going for en suite. It's only £6 a week, and as it is a 33 week let thats less than £200. Well worth that imo.

If it was £20+ a week I'd probably not bother though.
Original post by FrancescRose
This is my problem, there are two blocks in the halls I want, one block is quite old, the rooms are small with a single bed, its a bit dark and 'dingy' but still clean and great halls compared to others! These rooms have an en-suite with a bath shower. £65 a week.

The other block has massive windows, every thing's brand new, massive rooms with double bed, and massive kitchens, but toilets are shared (you get a shower and sink in your room, I think this is really strange), but £75 a week!

Can't decide!

That's really strange! Sharing toilets I found was fine most of the time, apart from after a night out sometimes the next day we'd find a nasty surprise of sick in the toilet :s-smilie: But that didn't happen that often, and I never had to queue for a toilet.

I'd probably go the the cheaper one, £10 less a week can make a lot of difference and that is really good value for an en suite compared to what some other uni's charge. I think in halls (for me anyway) I didn't really notice that my halls were old and dingy, I just got used to it in the first few days!
This seems like a really stupid question but what are the showers in the shared bathrooms like at most uni's? Is it just like a shower with a curtain or what...
Original post by Benniboi1
This seems like a really stupid question but what are the showers in the shared bathrooms like at most uni's? Is it just like a shower with a curtain or what...

In our corridor the shower was literally like a tiny room that had a step up and you shut the door behind you. Then there was a place to put your things on a seat/wall hook and then you stepped down into the shower. There wasn't a curtain. However, in my friend's halls it was a bath that had a showerhead so there was a curtain. It just depends I guess :confused:

Also, people think I'm weird for this but I wore plastic sandals in the shower every time I went in because I wasn't sure how clean it was. It sounds OCD but it wasn't a big deal really, it just makes life more germ-free (hopefully....!)

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest