The Student Room Group

En Suite or Shared Bathrooms?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Ensuite would be nice but I didn't have one at home so I'm not too bothered. it's not worth the extra money imo, and anyway when you share with people in 2nd year you're probably not going to have an ensuite.
Its amazing how sheltered we British students are. In most US unis, its compulsory to share a bedroom with up to 5 other people, let alone the bloody toilet.

Plus i do wonder how many of the people that "cannot live without an ensuite" have actually ever had an ensuite before? The vast majority of people share family bathrooms.

Ensuite is a complete waste of money. The difference in price can be laughable.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not bothered about en suite, it's a lot of money for what it is. If I get a job before uni though I might just save for it.
Most of you are forgetting, you rarely only get the option for an en suite in university halls. After your first year you will be sharing a bathroom in a shared house for two or more years. Man the **** up plus you save a so much money.
If you move out of university halls in second/third year, in many cases you'll have to share a bathroom then anyway. So you may as well get used to it right away instead, in my opinion.

You'll also have more money to spend on food/books/going out/booze/stuff for your room, which is a bonus.

EDIT: After posting this I noticed that the person above me had already said exactly the same thing! Sorry :')
I was in halls for all 3 years and had an ensuute, so you can be in halls for more then 1st year.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 546
Original post by pineapple86
I was in halls for all 3 years and had an ensuute, so you can be in halls for more then 1st year.

depends on the Uni:wink:
Original post by alexkol
depends on the Uni:wink:

Lol i know the halls unite will let you as will opal, they are the two biggest groups who have halls in different cities.

If I didn't have health problems then shared bathroom.

But I do so ensuite.
Original post by nexttime

Plus i do wonder how many of the people that "cannot live without an ensuite" have actually ever had an ensuite before? The vast majority of people share family bathrooms.

There's a big difference between 3 bathrooms for 4 people and one bathroom for up to 10 people!
Reply 550
I'm in halls with shared bathrooms in September, because ensuite was waaay too expensive and I figured that I would have to share in the second year anyway, so I might as well get used to it! But I was just wondering, does anybody have any tips or anything they would recommend to make sharing a bathroom less stressful?! Someone told me to get one of those little plastic baskets with holes in to carry shampoo etc. which I thought was really good, so any more ideas like that would be great :smile:
Reply 551
This september I move in to halls and got an en suite for £102 a week compared to shared bathroom which are a £105 a week. The diffrence in money is made even bigger with that my room is a 40 week contract and the shared rooms are 45.

I think the diffrent in price is due to shared being on campus and en suite of but their only like 20 mins away and closer to the the city, so I think I got a fair deal.
Original post by James4d
Just wondering. En suite rooms seem to be around 40 quid a week more than the basic rooms- is it worth it, or better to keep an extra 40 a week?

Edit: Guys, I started this thread nearly two years ago. I've been at uni since September 2010, only used shared bathrooms, and really not found it an issue at all. Anyway, point being, there's no need to specifically answer the question to me (via quote or otherwise) as it really is no longer relevant :smile:

I would definetly pick the en-suite especially when being a girl because you know females are different from men, we tend to take longer in the shower and stuff. It is definetly worth it and will uplift your spiirt. You can go take a shower anytime you want. You can always have a cleeaaan shower and you don't have to worry about how dirty and cringy it is in there. People shouting back and forth taking long in the shower or the toilet(awkward) and not looking after the bathroom properly.

EN-SUITE DEFINETLY.
Original post by Allymc
This september I move in to halls and got an en suite for £102 a week compared to shared bathroom which are a £105 a week. The diffrence in money is made even bigger with that my room is a 40 week contract and the shared rooms are 45.

I think the diffrent in price is due to shared being on campus and en suite of but their only like 20 mins away and closer to the the city, so I think I got a fair deal.

Which University is this?
I would rather pay the extra money then know for sure that my bathroom will be clean! It also means you don't have to queue for the bathroom/wait around for other people which is good if your running late as you can get up and know that there is no queue for the bathroom!
Reply 555
Original post by ANewStudent
I would definetly pick the en-suite especially when being a girl because you know females are different from men, we tend to take longer in the shower and stuff. It is definetly worth it and will uplift your spiirt. You can go take a shower anytime you want. You can always have a cleeaaan shower and you don't have to worry about how dirty and cringy it is in there. People shouting back and forth taking long in the shower or the toilet(awkward) and not looking after the bathroom properly.

EN-SUITE DEFINETLY.

Original post by laura1234
I would rather pay the extra money then know for sure that my bathroom will be clean! It also means you don't have to queue for the bathroom/wait around for other people which is good if your running late as you can get up and know that there is no queue for the bathroom!

The bathrooms are cleaned anyway, regardless. Also, when I was in halls it was 3 showers and 4 toilets between 9. Was never an issue. Would rather have spare 20 quid a week (and more space in the bedroom, en suite rooms were generally smaller at my uni).

Not to mention the fact that next year and the one after you will most likely be sharing bathrooms anyway.
Original post by James4d
The bathrooms are cleaned anyway, regardless. Also, when I was in halls it was 3 showers and 4 toilets between 9. Was never an issue. Would rather have spare 20 quid a week (and more space in the bedroom, en suite rooms were generally smaller at my uni).

Not to mention the fact that next year and the one after you will most likely be sharing bathrooms anyway.

3 showers? 4 Toilets? :redface: I thought you guys had to share..:s-smilie:
Reply 557
3 showers? 4 Toilets? :redface: I thought you guys had to share..:s-smilie:

There were 12 of us to a corridor. I had pretty cramped halls :tongue:
Original post by James4d
There were 12 of us to a corridor. I had pretty cramped halls :tongue:

:O they can do that? I thought there was a limit to how much roomates you can have. This is crazy lol! Hopefully I will have only like 3 or 4 maximum.
:O they can do that? I thought there was a limit to how much roomates you can have. This is crazy lol! Hopefully I will have only like 3 or 4 maximum.

We have been visiting a number of universities and have not seen anywhere where there are as few of 3 or 4 to a flat

minimum of 6, usually 8-10, sometimes more

Quick Reply