The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Internet Speeds...

I know this shouldn't really be a massive issue, but as a computer scientist/nerd this is something of interest to me...

What are the average internet speeds at the university (on the campus network and in private accommodation)?

I see that Manchester and London departments love bragging about their bandwidth, so I was wondering what St Andrews was like in this area...

Mind doing a quick speed test for me? - also please state whether you are doing this in halls/library/home etc...
http://www.speedtest.net/index.php

In DRA hall.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
dragon500uk

In DRA hall.

Oh wow, I get 100 kb/s at home :biggrin:
In private accomodation (although I'm told there's no more capacity on Be in St Andrews at the moment)
Reply 4
dragon500uk's speed shows the max per-connection speed. I have a rapidshare account and have managed to have a file downloaded at 18MB/s (as opposed to Mb/s), which is pretty respectable. Since I was using a program which split the file into 10 parts and downloaded them concurrently, I wasn't limited by the per-connection cap.
Reply 5
predius
dragon500uk's speed shows the max per-connection speed. I have a rapidshare account and have managed to have a file downloaded at 18MB/s (as opposed to Mb/s), which is pretty respectable. Since I was using a program which split the file into 10 parts and downloaded them concurrently, I wasn't limited by the per-connection cap.

So you downloaded at a speed of 144Mb/s? How did you manage that when most Ethernet hardware is limited to a speed of 100Mb/s or 12.3MB/s?

I also doubt that Dragon's is the max speed possible as I just attained this (probably server limited):

Reply 6
Oxy
So you downloaded at a speed of 144Mb/s? How did you manage that when most Ethernet hardware is limited to a speed of 100Mb/s or 12.3MB/s?

I also doubt that Dragon's is the max speed possible as I just attained this (probably server limited):

****, yeah, what was I thinking? It may have been closer to 11MB/s, I'm an idiot and am ashamed to have said that, my LUG would be saddened to hear I've gone this low.
Reply 7
I get a max. of 75mb down.
Reply 8
The theoretical speeds are higher than most network hardware can handle really in halls.
Reply 9
I'm in DRA and I download at around 10-11Megabytes per sec on usenet.
Reply 10
Purely out of interest :cyber: .

Does the internet in halls permit xbox live/online gaming etc? nark

Spears
Purely out of interest :cyber: .

Does the internet in halls permit xbox live/online gaming etc? nark

Nope.
Reply 12
dragon500uk
Nope.

Cool, didnt expect them to really, some unis do/some dont

thanks