The Student Room Group

Maths Modules

Hi.

I've decided to self study A Level maths in one year as i now have the time and money to do so.
But im really confused as to the moduler system. I've been on the OCR maths website and i understand theres a choice of statistics, decision, core, pure maths, and further maths but im really baffed as to how it works. I want an alevel simply in just maths. Can anybody clarify it for me? How does one choose?

Thanks
for as you need to do 3 modules and for a2 you need to do 3 modules making 6 modules for the whole maths a level you need to do all the pure core maths, c1, c2, c3, c4 and then two of the applied modlues which can be any of your choice s1, s2, m1, m2, d1 etc..
the futher pure modules are for further maths so you can just ignore them
Reply 2
hey_its_nay
for as you need to do 3 modules and for a2 you need to do 3 modules making 6 modules for the whole maths a level you need to do all the pure core maths, c1, c2, c3, c4 and then two of the applied modlues which can be any of your choice s1, s2, m1, m2, d1 etc..
the futher pure modules are for further maths so you can just ignore them

Ok thanks a lot thats cleared it up very much for me.
Im assuming you study maths, which one out of s1, s2, m1, m2, d1 would you recommend? which are the more straight forward, easy to understand modules?

And another question isit:
AS: C1, C2, C3
A2: C4, and then a choice of two

or is it
As: C1, C2, Choice
A2: C3, C4, choice

thanks a lot for the info mate much appreciated
its
As: C1, C2, Choice
A2: C3, C4, choice
this year ive done d1 and m1 and ive never been a fan of s1, the're not particularly hard just not as interesting as the pure core modules
d1 is bit of a weird module you need to write everything down because its all about method and its essential to take great care with presentation, its about algorithms, and graphs
m1 is all about vectors, trigonometry, velocity momentum, alot of physics so if thats the sort of stuff you like and good at i would recomend because its easy to learn yourself
s1 ive not done this one yet, we're doing it next year but ive been told its easy although alot of people get bored with it so if your self teaching it can be hard to stay focused
i would recoment m1 and s1 because they would be the easiest to self teach and alot of resources around to help
try http://www.mymaths.co.uk/ its got everything you need for the maths modules
http://www.mathsrevision.net/alevel/
try this site if you want to have a little look at the sort of stuff in the modules

Latest