The Student Room Group

Double Major - Politics/IR and Engineering - U.S unis

I want to do Politics and IR or Political Sciences. My mother wants me to do engineering.

My father has come up with a compromise. Because I am studying in the British Education system (13 years), I get one year's credit in U.S unis apparently?

He says that the first two years of university are all core courses that everyone has to do. He said that I can do my engineering degree and by then will have accumulated enough credit to do a year on Politics. Is this possible?

What if I were to go to the U.K first? I want to go to Edinburgh and do a Politics and IR degree there. I know that U.K unis don't have a credit system but surely this could be transferred to credit in the U.S? If I did my Politics degree could I do an engineering degree in the U.S in 1-2 years time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*bumb*

Anyone? Would anyone possibly have a link the a U.S equivalent of TSR where they may be a little more knowledgable about this?
Reply 2
Email some admissions departments in US universities.
bob247
I want to do Politics and IR or Political Sciences. My mother wants me to do engineering.

My father has come up with a compromise. Because I am studying in the British Education system (13 years), I get one year's credit in U.S unis apparently?

He says that the first two years of university are all core courses that everyone has to do. He said that I can do my engineering degree and by then will have accumulated enough credit to do a year on Politics. Is this possible?

What if I were to go to the U.K first? I want to go to Edinburgh and do a Politics and IR degree there. I know that U.K unis don't have a credit system but surely this could be transferred to credit in the U.S? If I did my Politics degree could I do an engineering degree in the U.S in 1-2 years time?

You don't automatically get a year's credit. You'd need to take AP tests to get exemption from various first year courses. For many American universities you can do dual specialization - just ensure that you have enough engineering to meet the requirements of any professional bodies in the country you are seeking to work in otherwise you may as well not have bothered.

Whether any American university would accept a transfer from a UK institution is a matter for the university itself. There's no automatic right of transfer or equivalency as they are different education systems. It would make more sense to do an bachelors degree in engineering in the USA and take subsidiary classes in politics to fulfil your humanities requirement.
Reply 4
OrmondDrone
You don't automatically get a year's credit. You'd need to take AP tests to get exemption from various first year courses. For many American universities you can do dual specialization - just ensure that you have enough engineering to meet the requirements of any professional bodies in the country you are seeking to work in otherwise you may as well not have bothered.

Whether any American university would accept a transfer from a UK institution is a matter for the university itself. There's no automatic right of transfer or equivalency as they are different education systems. It would make more sense to do an bachelors degree in engineering in the USA and take subsidiary classes in politics to fulfil your humanities requirement.

Thanks for the help.

But theoretically, if I were to do the AP exam and a U.S uni would accept a U.K transfer student, I could complete an engineering course in two years?
bob247
Thanks for the help.

But theoretically, if I were to do the AP exam and a U.S uni would accept a U.K transfer student, I could complete an engineering course in two years?

Unlikely.
Reply 6
bob247
Thanks for the help.

Alot of universities take the A-level courses as credit.

eg: http://www.gwu.edu/apply/undergraduateadmissions/applytogw/internationaladmission/internationalcredentials

Up to 6-8 credits awarded for A level grades of A-E awarded
Reply 7
OrmondDrone
Unlikely.

Would it then be better if I were to do a three year course in the U.K and then reapply in the U.S and complete a three year course there? I know it would take up 6 years but I think I'd be willing to make the sacrifice.

I don't want to do Politics as a subsidiary, I want to do a full course. Preferably at Edinburgh.
bob247
Would it then be better if I were to do a three year course in the U.K and then reapply in the U.S and complete a three year course there? I know it would take up 6 years but I think I'd be willing to make the sacrifice.

I don't want to do Politics as a subsidiary, I want to do a full course. Preferably at Edinburgh.

Sounds like a plan but Edinburgh is a 4 year course is it not?
Reply 9
OrmondDrone
Sounds like a plan but Edinburgh is a 4 year course is it not?

Oh ****, you're right :frown: :frown:

Is there not any way I could manage those two undergrad degrees within 5-6 years?

Surely if I do a full undergrad degree in the U.K, I won't have to do the core courses in the U.S?
bob247
Oh ****, you're right :frown: :frown:

Is there not any way I could manage those two undergrad degrees within 5-6 years?

Surely if I do a full undergrad degree in the U.K, I won't have to do the core courses in the U.S?

6 years may be possible if you did the politics degree at a 3 year UK university but that does rule out Edinburgh.

You probably will still have to do at least 3 years in the US - American universities aren't in the habit of granting extensive exemptions from their courses as it affects the income they will get from you in terms of tuition fees. There's also not a great deal of overlap between engineering and politics so if you did a politics degree first, at best you'd probably only get exempted from any humanties requirement in an American engineering degree.
Reply 11
**** :frown:

This means I've got some serious decisions to make. Thanks for your help mate.
**** your mum, do politics and IR.
Reply 13
Stalin
**** your mum, do politics and IR.

On the other hand, we live in a competitive world and I want to make money to provide a good life for the family I intend to have one day.
bob247
On the other hand, we live in a competitive world and I want to make money to provide a good life for the family I intend to have one day.

Do you have any idea how much money the fat cats in Brussels make?

Moreover, engineering's quite competitive.
Reply 15
Stalin
Do you have any idea how much money the fat cats in Brussels make?

Moreover, engineering's quite competitive.

Playing a percentage game here mate. I could probably follow the same career path with engineering and have more options available to me.

I may still consider 3 years at an English uni and then three years in the U.S doing engineering. I mean, if my original course was 4 years, it's only 2 more years.
bob247
Playing a percentage game here mate. I could probably follow the same career path with engineering and have more options available to me.

I may still consider 3 years at an English uni and then three years in the U.S doing engineering. I mean, if my original course was 4 years, it's only 2 more years.

Have fun becoming a politician with an engineering degree.

You could always get into law with a pol/IR degree or even business.

Your options aren't limited.
Reply 17
Stalin
Have fun becoming a politician with an engineering degree.

You could always get into law with a pol/IR degree or even business.

Your options aren't limited.

It's a constitutional monarchy here mate, my chances of getting into Politics were limited anyway. :p: I wanted to do politics at uni because I found the whole dynamics and history behind it fascinating. But as someone here mentioned, I could do it as a subsidiary in the U.S.

Working in the ministry of foreign affairs always appealed to me, dealing with other countries etc. Maybe work in the football association? Improve the local game for all.

I could do that with engineering + maybe a doctorate in Economics or something. Engineering will always be more respected unfortunately.

I appreciate your advice though.
Reply 18
Apologies for the double post, but it says here, that it may be possible?

http://www.internationalstudentforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6935

Is that only possible if I want to stick with the same course?
bob247
Apologies for the double post, but it says here, that it may be possible?

http://www.internationalstudentforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6935

Is that only possible if I want to stick with the same course?

Yes - and they still may be sticky on how many credit hours they will give you for the income protection / generation reasons given earlier.

Maybe just do an engineering BSc here and then do a politics / IR masters there - seems the most straightforward thing to do :yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending