The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

How long does it take?

How long does it take to get a decision through clearing?

I initially made a clearing application through the web on results day. I thought I made a mistake in my form so I rang them up to give them the right details. I was told that my grades did meet the requirements, and that a tutor would ring me if they wanted to make me an offer.

But, the story took a twist. I got an email from another department(with a copy of my web form, where I could see I'd given them the wrong phone number!) asking me about what course I was interested in. I took the opportunity and dived in anyway, and the tutor rang me later on and said they could make me an offer. I was also told that they couldn't get in touch with me initially because of the wrong phone number. I explained that I originally applied through clearing to another department, and the tutor didn't seem put off.

Now I'm getting paranoid! I have no way of knowing whether my original choice wanted to make me an offer or not, and even worse, if they couldn't get in touch with me because of my stupid mistake! Noone seems to be in, so I'll have to wait til monday!
Reply 1
Spider
How long does it take to get a decision through clearing?

I initially made a clearing application through the web on results day. I thought I made a mistake in my form so I rang them up to give them the right details. I was told that my grades did meet the requirements, and that a tutor would ring me if they wanted to make me an offer.

But, the story took a twist. I got an email from another department(with a copy of my web form, where I could see I'd given them the wrong phone number!) asking me about what course I was interested in. I took the opportunity and dived in anyway, and the tutor rang me later on and said they could make me an offer. I was also told that they couldn't get in touch with me initially because of the wrong phone number. I explained that I originally applied through clearing to another department, and the tutor didn't seem put off.

Now I'm getting paranoid! I have no way of knowing whether my original choice wanted to make me an offer or not, and even worse, if they couldn't get in touch with me because of my stupid mistake! Noone seems to be in, so I'll have to wait til monday!

Which two courses did you apply for? Do you have your CEF form?

Usually, once they say they can make you an offer, all you have to do is accept it and they will ask you to send in your CEF form.

Can you get to London easily? If so, you may as well go down on Monday to fill out all the docs. Are you planning on applying for uni accommo?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Cheers for the quick reply mate!

I applied for maths, before engineering intercepted me. I don't have my CEF yet, so i really can't do much. (On UCAS track, it still shows conditional offer next to my firm, even though they rejected me)
Reply 3
Spider
Cheers for the quick reply mate!

I applied for maths, before engineering intercepted me. I don't have my CEF yet, so i really can't do much. (On UCAS track, it still shows conditional offer next to my firm, even though they rejected me)

So maths is your first choice? You shouldn't worry then, they still have vacancies on most of the courses involving maths, and as long as you have that A in maths, they will want you.

What you need to do is either call ucas and tell them whats going on with your firm, so they can release you. Or call your firm, and tell them to inform ucas of the rejection.

On monday morning you should call the Maths dept. directly (if you can), or email them, and let them know of the error you made with the telephone numbers, and ask them if they will make you an offer (they should do). If not, then call the engineering dept and accept their offer. :-)
Reply 4
Cheers mate. I did get an A in maths, so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad. When I rang them up again they took down all my details again, including my number.( they couldn't edit a previous application, so they had to make a new one). Paranoia just got the better of me, and I wondered if they'd been overrun with with lots of maths applicants with much better grades than me. I can't rememeber the exact time scale they told me on the phone, I got the impression that any decisions would be made within two days after results.

Anwyay, you've been extremely helpful so thanks again!